FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   How do you get dirty sticker marks off your passport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1840582-how-do-you-get-dirty-sticker-marks-off-your-passport.html)

roberino May 4, 2017 4:08 am

How do you get dirty sticker marks off your passport?

My passport is only 3 years old but has already been accidentially thrown away twice (and retrieved) because it looks like a used dishcloth. It's not creased or battered but it is covered with layer upon layer of stickers slapped on there by border control officers and the like, and these pick up dirt over time. I once tried cleaning it off my last passport with solvent but it started to damage the outside of the passport.

Any ideas?

blueferrari May 4, 2017 4:48 am

I once used a tour/travel bureau to apply visa for a certain country, and they slapped my passport with countless stickers and even stapled here and there.

as you imagine when I tried to peel it off, there's always sticky trace of leftover glue. I eventually managed to clean it with eucalyptus oil. however it also removed a bit of prints on the passport cover/outer surface

frobozzelectric May 4, 2017 5:48 am

Brake cleaner

Aliphatic mineral solvents. Just a little goes a long way.

sbm12 May 4, 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by roberino (Post 28265788)
Any ideas?

Stop throwing it away and don't blame your absentmindedness on some stickers on the booklet. ;)

emma69 May 4, 2017 7:42 am

How about putting it in a passport case?

CPRich May 4, 2017 8:20 am

Either stop not recognizing your own passport and throwing it away, or take some more care not to leave it somewhere that anyone else has access to it, so they can make that mistake.

Where are you leaving such an important document that others have access to it when you're not there? Surely you don't just leave it on a nightstand with various scraps of paper, empty cans, etc., during the day at a hotel, do you?

chollie May 4, 2017 9:38 am

Originally Posted by emma69 (Post 28266480)
How about putting it in a passport case?

That doesn't always work!

I have a cheap clear plastic cover on my passport, covered with security stickers, but the last couple times I flew, the agent removed the plastic cover and put the security sticker directly on the passport. New security initiative at some airports?

bitterproffit May 4, 2017 9:59 am

Goo Gone worked for me. Test it first.

emma69 May 4, 2017 10:15 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 28267017)
That doesn't always work!

I have a cheap clear plastic cover on my passport, covered with security stickers, but the last couple times I flew, the agent removed the plastic cover and put the security sticker directly on the passport. New security initiative at some airports?

I have had both as well - but a leather case, with PASSPORT on the front, may stop people assuming it is garbage and throwing it away at least! Plus, in its case, I don't care that there are stickers (or sticker residue).

chollie May 4, 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 28267109)

I'm afraid to try it. I wouldn't have worried with my old passport - it was bent and rolled and broken in like an old shoe. This newer one seems to be made out of a really cheap cardboard product. I suspect it will dissolve if I ever get it wet like I did the old one. I'm afraid if the Goo Gone leaves even the slightest mark, someone eagle-eyed agent will accuse me of tampering with my passport or defacing it.

porky May 4, 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 28267109)

+1

I use Goo Gone whenever I need to remove sticker/tape stains. On non-porous surfaces of course.

Often1 May 4, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't use solvents or anything on my passport.

All it takes is one picky gate agent or border police type to suggest that you have tampered with the document or that it has been damaged and you are denied boarding or entry.

It's just a document. It doesn't have to look pretty. Keep it safe and secure. Don't throw it away and you will be fine.

Annerk May 4, 2017 1:52 pm

a dab of (original--blue) Dawn dish liquid (washing up soap) on a wet cotton ball can do wonders without damage. You could also give it a try with a Magic Eraser--I would try an outer corner first to make sure it doesn't damage.

DEN May 4, 2017 5:03 pm

1. Use a hair dryer to warm up the label, which usually softens the adhesive to help it release when you peel the label off.

2. Use adhesive tape (scotch tape etc ) to help remove any of the remaining adhesive. Adhesives seem to stick to each other pretty well and aid in removal and cleanup of any residual.

DEN

StartinSanDiego May 5, 2017 12:22 am

What are those stickers for, anyway? I take mine off immediately.