Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Braking still leaves you in the path of the turner.
Accelerating accelerates you into the path of the turner. @:-)
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WorldLux
While they come at a premium, I've never seen so big differences.
I just tried on the Enterprise site and from LHR I was quoted $103.85CAD per day for a Ford Focus with an automatic but $58.97CAD for a Ford Focus with a manual so not quite double but almost.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The problem is that many don't offer smaller cars with automatic and you have to take a bigger/premium car to get automatic.

I've tested on Sixt in MUC and the cheapest car was ~31€/day (VW Polo or comparable). The smallest (and cheapest) automatic was a BMW 1 series for 51€/day (bigger than the Polo and a premium vehicle). That's roughly double. But a comparable manual car is equally expensive. The BMW 2 series with a manual was 52€/day. The BMW 3 series with a manual compared rather well to the BMW 3 touring with the automatic gearbox.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Accelerating accelerates you into the path of the turner. @:-)
Depends on where you are. At low speed brakes won't always stop you before the path of the turner, the gas pedal can get you away.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Worse is attempting to depress the non-existent clutch coming to a stoplight only to hit the left side of the much wider brake pedal commonly found on automatics. Oooops...
I sometimes do that too.
I've never had quite that problem. If I push a nonexistent clutch my foot realizes the problem in time, I don't stomp on the floor. The problem is automatics have a wider brake pedal--more than once I've caught that pedal instead of the clutch that isn't there. Of course my left foot tries to push it to the floor. I learned on a car with a [b]very[/b stiff clutch. (My father had a problem with riding the clutch while going up through the gears. A friend who was aware of this did the clutch replacement--and put in parts for a much heavier clutch. Thus my foot is willing to push quite hard to get that clutch to go down.)
Yikes!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I like the joke about a manual transmission being the best anti-theft device...

Automatics are now to the point where they get better mileage than manuals. Also, the automatic braking including on many cars, and soon to be required, is problematic with a manual as a complete automatic stop results in the engine shutting down.

I have one manual, on a 2002 Jetta TDI, because it got better mileage and the automatic wasn't a very good one back then. My other two cars are automatics.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
How does a manual work in the age of CVT? Are you guys constantly twisting dials or something?
CVTs are a type of automatic transmission.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
... is problematic with a manual as a complete automatic stop results in the engine shutting down.
Not if the clutch is a drive-by-wire deal in which case the car can disconnect gearbox and engine by itself.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:02 am

Having lived in basically flat areas and not needing to drive in stop-and-go traffic I almost never found it annoying.

Now, had I lived in a place like San Francisco I probably would have a very different opinion.
San Francisco definitely isn't the only place where an automatic is far preferable. Try driving downtown Philadelphia - streets are old, heavily potholed, narrow and full of gawking tourists. It takes a hell of a lot of concentration to just avoid the the human obstacles! You'd quickly wear out a clutch with the need for constant shifting.

Also, in the plus column I'll add one more feature: If you need to stomp on the gas to get out of the way a manual is better than an auto. The auto will rev up the engine, decide it should be in the lower gear, slow the engine, shift and rev it again. The manual will simply let the engine rev. If you stomp on the pedal while driving you don't care about fuel economy at the moment!
I've always owned automatics and never had one with an engine so crappy it couldn't quickly accelerate.

When in Europe I drive a manual because they're much cheaper to rent, but in the U.S. my preference is definitely an automatic, especially for big city driving.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The historic issue with automatics is the technology that used to be used. A heavy torque convertor (a round viscous coupler that usually didn't lock up so every revolution of input resulted in less than one revolution of output) was attached to the engine. Turning this weight took off a certain amount of HP (and fuel economy) - which was significant for small engines, not so much if you had a huge torquey V8 up front. Add to that the limited gear range (2 or 3 forward speeds) and you had this huge gap that often resulted in the engine speed falling out of the torque band. More a problem with low-torque/narrow torque band engines - usually small - than large V8s.

These days, the torque convertors have been replaced by the dual shift clutch so there's no huge attached weight, and speeds have been increased, with For and GM having jointly developed a 10 speed. Computer shifting is also a lot faster which has resulted in the fuel economy of some automatic cars being better than their otherwise identical manual counterparts.

As for driving, I driven otherwise near-identical cars that have auto and manual. First was in Iceland where the rental we picked up in KEF was manual and the car we got in AEY (as warned by the agent, was auto). The cars were just your every car so the manual had better performance and no traffic issues in Iceland anyway.

Drove a Fiat 500 in Austria a few years ago and it was fun with the manual. An auto (albeit different spec made/assembled in Mexico) in Canada wasn't as much fun and I wasn't sure if the shift programming was spot on. Haven't driven any other near-identical cars to compare otherwise.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
- streets are old, heavily potholed, narrow and full of gawking tourists. It takes a hell of a lot of concentration to just avoid the the human obstacles! You'd quickly wear out a clutch with the need for constant shifting.
I've driven through many touristic, old city centres in Europe and never had issues with driving a manual. The clutch pedal isn't that heavy to operate. We're talking about a normal car, not a 80s super car. Very small roads in old city centres are a nightmare to navigate through. Automatic or manual doesn't make a huge difference.

(Driving a car in SFO or any city with tons of up-/downhill is obviously more challenging for the clutch.)

Regarding same cars: I've driven VW Polos with petrol engines and VWs baby DSG (double clutch gearbox with dry-running clutches capable of handling up to 250 Nm worth of torque) and VW Polos with diesel engines and manual gearbox: The petrol Polo with the DSG is at ~60mph more economical than the diesel manual as it has 7 gears vs. 5 gears. Above that speed, the diesel manual becomes more fuel-efficient again. IMO VWs has set up the gearbox too much on fuel efficiency. The gearbox is constantly shifting (6th at 30mph).

The difference in weight makes quite a difference. The diesel feels more planted on the road. The power-steering is less perceivable and it feels slightly heavier (which I like).
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
For those of you who haven't driven manual all that much, with enough practice, driving a manual is no different than driving an automatic. After enough practice, you stop thinking about when to shift and do it automatically
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not if the clutch is a drive-by-wire deal in which case the car can disconnect gearbox and engine by itself.
But do any of them?

On Cars talked about this in their latest episode. They didn't indicate that any of them did. Either the manual version didn't have the full-stop auto braking or the engine would be killed during such a stop.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:05 pm

By definition all dual clutch transmissions have a drive by wire clutch(es). Otherwise the other ones I can think of would be the BMW SMG and SMGII gearboxes (horrid things imo) and the Ferrari sequentials from the 355/360 (and later?) era
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Either the manual version didn't have the full-stop auto braking or the engine would be killed during such a stop.
Clutch-by-wire is something being offered but all the manuals I've driven had a traditional clutch pedal (but then they didn't have emergency stop assistants.).

I'm not sure if they are needed. If the system only works for speeds inferior to ~20mph, you'll probably be in 2nd gear and by the time, the engine can actually stall, you'll be slow enough (and the brake pressure high enough) to stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.