Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Cloudship
The only thing I will add to the debate for all people driving manuals, think about the people behind you. You may feel cool down shifting and clutching to slow down, but when you do that, the people behind you do not see your brake lights. And keep in mind that you may think you are great at a stick, but I bet you still roll backwards at steep intersections when you aren't being careful.
When I took the UK driving test I had to park both uphill and downhill (not at the same time!) and pull away without the car rolling forwards or backwards, ie. you had to move away under enigne power. Even better the only decent hill was right outside a police station so the local constabulary added to the pressure! But it really is not an issue once you have the technique and if people are rolling backwards then they need a few lessons. It really is quite simple and no-one should be rolling backwards.

Since living in the US, and on my return, I have had an automatic car and cannot see me ever returning to manual as I just cannot be bothered to change gear manually ever again. If I get one as a rental it takes a few miles to adapt, but then again I drove one for >20 years so you don't really forget.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by emma69
Bring it on! I can't wait for the day the car will take me to work, and I don't have to worry about idiot drivers! Me, a cup of tea and a book, and not having to actually drive, yes please!
I think this is available now - it's called a "taxi"
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by farci
*RR with James behind the wheel.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by WorldLux
*RR with James behind the wheel.
When driving these yourself, you don't have to worry about the idiots that emma fears - even they give you plenty of room! Probably don't fancy what goes on the insurance forms . They don't even park close to you.

Back on topic, they come in auto only and do have "sufficient" power. You don't feel any power shortage. In town it doesn't get out of 1st and has lots of torque! When you want to motor along it will accelerate in a way that would make a boy racer blush.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
With a parking brake beside the driver, yes.

The car I learned on had a parking brake on the floor. You could bend down to release it but that put you in a position you couldn't see the road very well. Using it for a hill start was not practical.
takes practice but my dad forced me to learn how to do it without a parking brake at all. you simply use both feet into 3 pedals. takes a bit of practice as its tricky but doable. my current car has that unfortunate brake on the floor....of course the car came from the USA........
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by shuigao
Having said that, I don't get the "real men drive stick" nonsense. I drive stick cos the car(s) I've bought over the years were cheaper if they came with a stick, but I don't see how that makes me any manlier or superior in any way over somebody who prefers an auto 'box.
I never saw anything "manly" about it either. I'd always owned automatics and bought my first manual in 2014 to develop proficiency for business purposes. However, my wife and two previous girl friends all owned manuals that I drove occasionally.

Friends and family thought I was mildly addled to buy a car with a stick shift but it was the only way I could get practical experience on one.

I was surprised to find Enterprise in Florida offered a manual as an "upgrade" and have one reserved for next week.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:47 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I had no trouble driving a RHD stick in Ireland. My left hand took just a bit to get used to shifting.
My wife had to yell LEFT! only twice, once in the DUB rental car lot, and the other time coming out of a roundabout. Everyone survived.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farci
Ah but in many instances, it is the taxi driver that is the idiot driver! I used to take a car service on a frequent basis, and it was roughly 50-50 as to whether I thought we would make it there alive!

If I had unlimited funds, I would have a chauffeur who had extensive defensive driving experience (I am thinking ex-police / bodyguard type), but not a RR, they do nothing for me!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I like driving a manual, but as a klutz who has sprained her ankles, broken her toes, etc multiple times, I gave up buying manual cars because driving one with only one foot available at times is impossible. The fun isn't so fun if you can't get to work.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

I can drive a stick. I have owned a few stick shifts, one recently. They are fine, but if there is a reason NOT to have one, it's traffic. There is nothing more torturous than sitting in a traffic jam shifting constantly in and out of 1st or 2nd to go 4 ft. It's like dancing.

I would have a stick again if I didn't live in Southern California, where terrain and traffic make having a stick a huge PIA.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
for the longest time part of the driving test of CR was to go...
I go to San Jose and Liberia regularly and it seems as though the hotel van driver's tend to keep the revs very high when they could be upshifting. Is there any reason for that?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I go to San Jose and Liberia regularly and it seems as though the hotel van driver's tend to keep the revs very high when they could be upshifting. Is there any reason for that?
may be he doesnt pay for the gas or may be his engine is somehow 'tuned' (mistuned) and sounds that way

when I drive on expressway (allow me to dream that it really is one) I am always on 5th gear
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
There is nothing more torturous than sitting in a traffic jam shifting constantly in and out of 1st or 2nd to go 4 ft. It's like dancing.
exactly its lke dancing, to move 4ft I simply put gear on , clutch a bit out car moves, hits brake gear off......then wait another 5 mins to move another 4ft. thats how it is in Central America
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Renting a vehicle with a standard transmission is an upgrade in the U.S.A.
Where? I would pay extra for that.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:48 am

After long periods in the US, returning to the UK and manuals has me bursting with joy. Auto driving feels like being smothered under a layer of jelly. I absolutely despise it and it encourages a mindless mindset.

Sooner rather than later the manual will be extinct. I'll be stocking up on old cars to see me out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.