Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Old Feb 16, 17, 1:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,298
Two nations separated by a common car transmission (automatic vs standard (manual))

Renting a vehicle with an automatic transmission is an upgrade in the U.K.

Renting a vehicle with a standard transmission is an upgrade in the U.S.A.
Badenoch is online now  
Old Feb 16, 17, 2:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,232
You can rent a car with a manual transmission in the US?? I had no idea.
Buster is online now  
Old Feb 16, 17, 2:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the road, 24/7/365
Posts: 3,322
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You can rent a car with a manual transmission in the US?? I had no idea.
One way is to rent an "exotic".
365RoadWarrior is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 3:49 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 7,711
How does a manual work in the age of CVT? Are you guys constantly twisting dials or something?
Ambraciot is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 4:07 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,298
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You can rent a car with a manual transmission in the US?? I had no idea.
Neither did I however it was an option offered to me when I made an off-airport booking in Tampa. It wasn't an exotic either just a small sedan. The increase was quite modest about $50 for the week.
Badenoch is online now  
Old Feb 16, 17, 4:08 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,298
Originally Posted by Ambraciot View Post
How does a manual work in the age of CVT? Are you guys constantly twisting dials or something?
Never seen a car with three pedals have you? Or even four?
Badenoch is online now  
Old Feb 16, 17, 4:54 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 28,394
I'm not even sure an "exotic" rental is going to get you much. Ferrari hasn't had a manual transmission since 2011. Most others have gone to twin-clutch autos also.
CPRich is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 6:45 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 35,195
Originally Posted by Ambraciot View Post
How does a manual work in the age of CVT? Are you guys constantly twisting dials or something?
Yeah--last time I was car shopping I found a CVT car. All my objections with automatic transmissions are gone, I see no reason to go back.

If you mean mechanically--you have a third pedal that disconnects the engine from the transmission. When that pedal is pressed you can move the gearshift. The gearshift movement is also more complex--the usual form is an H shape, if you have more than three gears it's more like HH, or in heavy vehicles you might have even more slots you can move into.

The driver presses the pedal, sets the shift lever to the desired position and releases the pedal. The driver must be aware of the engine speed and shift as needed. It takes practice because it must be done with reasonable speed if you want to avoid holding up traffic, but you have to be aware of what is going to happen as the pedal comes up--at the point the pedal is up the engine speed will be set to the transmission speed. If that's too slow the engine stops.

To do this smoothly and quickly requires reducing it to muscle memory--which will take a bit of retraining when you're in a different car, but the basic pattern is the same and you quickly adapt.

Last edited by Loren Pechtel; Feb 16, 17 at 6:57 pm
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 6:57 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 17,106
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Never seen a car with three pedals have you? Or even four?
So do not try to drive Ford Model T.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Yeah--last time I was car shopping I found a CVT car. All my objections with automatic transmissions are gone, I see no reason to go back.
Putting my professional Mechanical Engineering hat on I would never ever buy a car with a CVT.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 7:39 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 23,636
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Never seen a car with three pedals have you? Or even four?
Nor have I ever harnessed the horses and ridden the buckboard. @:-)

(Not sure what this obsession with some guys is with manual transmissions.)
DenverBrian is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 7:47 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 7,249
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Nor have I ever harnessed the horses and ridden the buckboard. @:-)

(Not sure what this obsession with some guys is with manual transmissions.)
I'm not a guy, but I thought I wanted a manual when I was around 22 because they are cheaper and have slightly better gas mileage. Then a friend (who had a manual because her parents were cheap) said it's fun 20% of the time and really annoying the other 80%. I'm sure that is a lot different with a high end car vs a generic american or japanese car, but it put me off ever bothering to buy a manual.
gj83 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 7:48 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 23,636
It's just SPS and such. None of the guys who wax poetic about a manual transmission car would ever accept, say, a manual-defrost refrigerator in 2017.
DenverBrian is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 7:57 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,426
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
I'm not a guy, but I thought I wanted a manual when I was around 22 because they are cheaper and have slightly better gas mileage. Then a friend (who had a manual because her parents were cheap) said it's fun 20% of the time and really annoying the other 80%. I'm sure that is a lot different with a high end car vs a generic american or japanese car, but it put me off ever bothering to buy a manual.
Depends on where you drive. A manual clutch is a pain in city traffic, and really a bad idea in a hilly city. It's pretty much invisible on motorways. You jam up to top gear and steer. But on one of the brilliant back roads, two lanes and twisty, in France or Britain or Germany...nothing quite matches those drives with a manual.
rickg523 is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 10:00 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CLT > CAE > IND > ATL > PDX > CLT
Posts: 3,180
I'm not a guy either and I drive only manual transmission cars in my personal life. I've never even seen one for a rental in the US though. I always rent them when out of the country.

It has nothing at all to do with old technology vs new. That's a pretty ridiculous comparison. I love to drive. I love to shift and have that control. It's a preference, not a middle finger to new things.
MissJ is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 10:14 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CT USA
Posts: 2,577
My wife loves manual cars. She found herself a 5-speed Nissan Maxima. It was $500 cheaper than the automatic and had leather interior (net gain $1000.) The car is quite peppy and fun to drive. I have never seen a manual for rent.
JumboJet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: