Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Reminds me of what happened to my father long ago.

He got in trouble for an expense report 1/4th of what his boss turned in for the same conference.

He booked the hotel across the street rather than the hotel with the conference. He didn't sneak his wife's expenses into the bill, either. There was more but I'm not recalling it now.
It's politically delicate to show up the boss with a vastly lower set of expenses for the same trip. If the boss's boss is watching, you may make an enemy of your boss.

It's important, though, to appreciate the difference between saving money prudently and saving it foolishly. Staying at a hotel across the street for half the price is usually a prudent tradeoff. Staying an hour away to save the same amount may not be, as it drives up transportation cost and harms productivity. I've seen a number of situations where employees thought they were being wise to save, say, $100 of hard expenses but at a soft cost of several hours of productivity.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Yachtman
I've had opportunities offered by companies to stay an extra few days in places at their expense, on a few rare occasions I've taken them up on it, I've even brought my wife along. But honestly, most of the time I just don't have the motivation and interest to be alone in a city and knackered from working, I just want to get home to be with my family.
Don't get me wrong, I love travelling for leisure with my family, but on my terms and to my own schedule.
Same. I've had the option for 20+ years. I used it a few dozen times BK (before kids), only once that I recall AK.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
If the impact is so great on the bottom line it quickly becomes "mandatory" or employees are under great pressure to say a couple of days extra.
I haven't seen anyone suggest that it was mandatory. This, of course, would be ridiculous.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by CPRich
I haven't seen anyone suggest that it was mandatory. This, of course, would be ridiculous.
It would however with large corporations dedicated to saving every penny "ridiculous" is often right in their wheel house.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
I think it's a no-brainer not to stay if an employee chooses. (Oh yes, I can hear the jealous accounting types "He's getting a free vacation", but that's beside the point.) While I do most East to West coast travel, even with that it's a 3 hour time difference and traveling back east is a whole day. My company gives us a choice to travel home or stay if you have back to back weeks, but it's really to both our advantages to stay over; i.e. MCO to SAN for two weeks. Not only is the hotel/car/meals cheaper for the two nights (would have to fly back on Saturday and then on Monday), but they get a full day on Monday productivity instead of travel. On international much more so due to the time change and jet lag - productivity is king!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I've seen a number of situations where employees thought they were being wise to save, say, $100 of hard expenses but at a soft cost of several hours of productivity.
And we have even more cases when one is not allowed to book non-stop transcon flight which is $200 more expensive and have to go thru connection which adds 8h more travel time in each direction.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
My experience is about a religious denomination holding a global conference every 5 years mostly in North America. About 2,500 delegates, 80%+ from outside North America. A few thousand staff and exhibitors. Their spouses and maybe children. 60k other visitors. Eight days of business session and two worship days. Each day is 8 am to 9 pm with two 2-hour meal breaks.

There have been problems of delegate absenteeism, especially during the business sessions. The conference organizers have contracted downtown hotel rates long ahead of time (we're talking about $150-200 per room per night), but I'm not sure how the payers, local church organizations, especially from Africa and Latin America, pay for their delegations. If they pay for extra days, would that promote attendance? Shopping and outing are obviously very attractive, and are what the other 60k visitors are doing most of the time.

Also, the event drives up the price of downtown hotels and even suburban hotels the whole time. Even air fares are driven up. Could paying for "rest days" save money when the whole gang doesn't leave on the same day? From what I heard, after the last event, the departure airport was not ready to handle the departees on the day after.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:17 pm

It's always up to the employee, but I have offered it to my team active they have traveled overseas. I travel waaay more than they have and I'm not about to be the a hole who insisted an employee rush back from their first time in Paris, for example.

Like I said in the other thread, as long as I can see the savings, sure, go for it.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's politically delicate to show up the boss with a vastly lower set of expenses for the same trip. If the boss's boss is watching, you may make an enemy of your boss.

It's important, though, to appreciate the difference between saving money prudently and saving it foolishly. Staying at a hotel across the street for half the price is usually a prudent tradeoff. Staying an hour away to save the same amount may not be, as it drives up transportation cost and harms productivity. I've seen a number of situations where employees thought they were being wise to save, say, $100 of hard expenses but at a soft cost of several hours of productivity.
Travel was not a usual part of his job, he didn't know his boss was going to do that.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
perfect examples of how/why ---
(1) "one-size-fits-all" policy never does
(2) common sense is ridiculously uncommon
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Seems fun for the person who gets sent on 1 maybe 2 business trips a year.

Sounds not so fun for the high mileage road warriors who already are away from home more than they'd probably like (or spouse would appreciate)

For business it's a mixed bag. On a one off scenario it may be cheaper. But then there is duty of care and liability. If you were involved in some sort of incident (natural disaster, terrorism, accident, etc) the company could be liable for what happens to you. While it may save the company X$ on that trip, it may end up costing them more in the long run.

That said, I have asked and been granted approval to stay the weekend on my dime if going places for a Thursday/Friday meeting.
I have worked for an employer who whilst staying on to explore or bringing the wife out (one trip per year at company expense) was a published benefit, they did require a waiver signing that you were no longer the companies responsibility, although were still eligible under the corporate overseas travel insurance policy.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All points to the need to see the bigger picture by both employer and employee. Also, no hard & fast rules. Some people will fly TATL to see their family for 6 hours. If that is what they want, that is what they are due. Others are very happy to see the world and that is fine too.

Central to this is productivity. The employee who creates a need to be somewhere on Friday so that he can have Saturday & Sunday paid for overseas may get away with that 1-2x, but is someone who will fail and good supervision ought to catch that. Unless, of course, the employee is a top performer and the extra hotel costs are pocket change to keep him with the company.

Tax & liability considerations are also an issue. But, those are specific to the employer and employee's tax situation and there is no global "right" answer. In the US, it makes sense to document the reason for paying what might look like leisure expenses so that they are treated as "reasonable & necessary" and thus deductions for the employer and [U]not[U] income for the employee. Similarly, liability for the employee's conduct and well-being over the weekend is an issue and just signing a waiver may or may not be enough.

All of these are issues to consider. But, suggesting that there is a blanket policy which is always correct is what leads to companies which don't keep up with the times and wind up without top people.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by deniah
"promote the weekend stayover".... you mean encourage employees to be away from home/family for longer without necessity, especially on their personal time?

no, employers shouldnt do that

employees are free to ask for it, and if it makes sense it makes sense (regardless of whether the extra stay is comped or not).

our young people do this plenty, and ive done plenty of it in my single phase. but no, it shouldnt be "encouraged"
It's not the employer's business whether an employee spends weekends with family or not. What an employee does during off duty hours should not be the concern of the employer, nor should supervisors keep records or monitor how subordinates spend their free time. For all the boss knows, the employee is at the beginning of a nasty divorce and that employee being away from the family is better for everyone, including the employee's supervisors, colleagues, subordinates, and customers or clients.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not the employer's business whether an employee spends weekends with family or not. What an employee does during off duty hours should not be the concern of the employer, nor should supervisors keep records or monitor how subordinates spend their free time.
Well that's exactly the point, isnt it?

It's not an employer's business what its employees does on their weekend. That's why the employer has no business suggesting or "promoting" where they should spend their weekend. Least of all, for the interest of saving money.

hey bob have you thought about staying there a few days longer? its a pleasant town. (and you'll save us some money)

in this part of the world, there's been chatter about policing off-hour email activity. we have electronic keycard control. not to ensure employees work their minimum required hours... but to prevent employees from staying above their contracted hours and getting into trouble with the labor authorities.

promoting weekend activities? good luck
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What really stands out is if you and the boss fly in the same class, stay at the same hotel and his meal expenses are three times higher. I ran afoul of a previous supervisor who pressed the limit while travelling while I tended to be more responsible.

I'd rather eat a takeaway meal in my room with a half bottle of wine than sit in a restaurant. Unlike my former boss I'm also not the type to expense every little item or avail myself of the most luxurious ground transportation. He accused me of trying to make him look bad.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by invisible
And we have even more cases when one is not allowed to book non-stop transcon flight which is $200 more expensive and have to go thru connection which adds 8h more travel time in each direction.
A connection adds 8 hours each way? That's more than just adding a connection, that's choosing an itinerary with a flight that leaves first thing in the morning, forces you to wait all day for a connection, then has you connect on the last flight of the evening. Filtering out absurd itineraries like those is one of the reasons business travel portals allow you to specify time ranges for departure and arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.