Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Probably not. Also, our travel is all expensed to our company, not a client. Therefore, the more you spend on travel, the less profit there is at the end of the year, the less bonus you get under the corporate profit share.
The bonus part especially doesn't scale. The biggest factor in determining our corporate profit share last year was a 3 billion EUR writedown we took on some failed nuclear power plant project, not whether somebody booked a Hilton instead of Holiday Inn.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by eigenvector
The bonus part especially doesn't scale. The biggest factor in determining our corporate profit share last year was a 3 billion EUR writedown we took on some failed nuclear power plant project, not whether somebody booked a Hilton instead of Holiday Inn.
haha touche.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Probably not. Also, our travel is all expensed to our company, not a client. Therefore, the more you spend on travel, the less profit there is at the end of the year, the less bonus you get under the corporate profit share.
Why travel at all? Your travel spend will be $0 and you will have all that those travel $ to divvy up in the corporate profit share.

Presumably there is a business purpose both to any travel and the nature of the travel, e.g., whether you sleep on a park bench in the winter or a hotel bed.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by d3vi0uz
this is a very common theme with inexperienced and/or cost concsious managers.

​​​​​​Waiting to "see if there's budget" or debating decisions because of budget concerns ends up costing more money in the end.
"We're going to do things as cheaply as possible, no matter how much money it costs!"
hhdl likes this.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
"We're going to do things as cheaply as possible, no matter how much money it costs!"
Ha! Good one!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by dangerhsun
At my company, we can call Travel for bookings, or do the bookings ourselves online. I prefer to do it myself and over time, I've found ways to book exactly what I want.

As long as the system doesn't flag the itinerary as "non-compliant", I can do whatever I want. One dumb thing my company does is force employees to book "preferred" hotel chains. When I travel to London, this often means a $500 a night hotel rather than a much cheaper $200-300 a night hotel, simply because the cheaper hotel will get flagged as not being "preferred".

Also, I get charged $40 for every time I call travel.
Do you happen to be in pharma/med/consumer?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:37 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
My company just introduced a new "enhancement" to our expense policy that I would love to get an opinion on.

We have a few regional offices throughout the country. When traveling for team meetings we generally meet at those locations. Most of those locations have on-site cafeteria facilities. A recent change to the expense policy prohibits reimbursement for breakfast and lunch when traveling to a regional office with a cafeteria (prior, the policy just prohibited reimbursement for purchases at the cafeteria).

Is this unique? It's really grinding my gears as my annual team meeting is scheduled for next week.

Edited: even if I left the office and went to an offsite location for breakfast/lunch, I would still not get it reimbursed because I had the cafeteria as an option.

Last edited by TTT; Aug 14, 2017 at 2:49 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the food provided in the cafeteria is free, I understand the policy. If it isn't then that sounds weird to me (e.g. our Paris office had food provided on site, free of charge, so I couldn't claim for lunch when working there).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
If the food provided in the cafeteria is free, I understand the policy. If it isn't then that sounds weird to me (e.g. our Paris office had food provided on site, free of charge, so I couldn't claim for lunch when working there).
Yeah, I would agree if it were free but our cafeterias are not. They are subsidized some (i.e. a sandwich is ~$4, a hot plate is ~$6-$8), but all items have some charge.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by TTT
A recent change to the expense policy prohibits reimbursement for breakfast and lunch when traveling to a regional office with a cafeteria (prior, the policy just prohibited reimbursement for purchases at the cafeteria).

Is this unique? It's really grinding my gears as my annual team meeting is scheduled for next week.

It can be normal, if the host of the meeting is paying for it. It's not uncommon for our meetings to have a breakfast spread out from 7:30-8:00 for a little mingling before a meeting 8AM start time. With lunch it's not uncommon for us to cater it as a group for meetings or all go to the cafeteria with something like an $8 lunch card provided by the host.

Still seems like a blanket policy that can be asking for trouble. Does the cafeteria consider all possible dietary constraints when arranging and cooking their menu? Last week I was travelling with a gluten free vegetarian, she went to the grocery store and just brought her own food in with her and ate with us in the cafeteria. She was allowed to expense the grocery store trips (that eventually became lunch).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:47 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdkowals
It can be normal, if the host of the meeting is paying for it. It's not uncommon for our meetings to have a breakfast spread out from 7:30-8:00 for a little mingling before a meeting 8AM start time. With lunch it's not uncommon for us to cater it as a group for meetings or all go to the cafeteria with something like an $8 lunch card provided by the host.

Still seems like a blanket policy that can be asking for trouble. Does the cafeteria consider all possible dietary constraints when arranging and cooking their menu? Last week I was travelling with a gluten free vegetarian, she went to the grocery store and just brought her own food in with her and ate with us in the cafeteria. She was allowed to expense the grocery store trips (that eventually became lunch).
This is a blanket policy, regardless of other catering at meetings. In the case of my upcoming team meeting, breakfasts and lunches are not provided and will not be reimbursed since we are meeting at a location with a cafeteria.

I agree, for a conference type setup where meals are provided then one should also not be able to expense them (assuming they meet dietary requirements).

According to the policy, even if the cafeteria wasn't used a meal could not be reimbursed since a cafeteria was available. So even if the cafeteria didn't offer every dietary option, one could still not get the meal reimbursed.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I suppose their reasoning is that you'd probably eat at your home location cafeteria if you were there, and the cafeteria at a remote location doesn't cost any more than that.

However, I don't see how they can make that blanket assumption. Whenever I worked at places with company cafeterias, some people ate at the cafeteria, some brought food from home, and some went out. I don't think their logic, which is basically the same as saying "your salary is intended to cover the cost of lunches at the company cafeteria," holds water (or any other beverage).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The sad thing is that some bean counter is patting himself on the back over coming up with such an employee-unfriendly policy.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:21 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
I suppose their reasoning is that you'd probably eat at your home location cafeteria if you were there, and the cafeteria at a remote location doesn't cost any more than that.

However, I don't see how they can make that blanket assumption. Whenever I worked at places with company cafeterias, some people ate at the cafeteria, some brought food from home, and some went out. I don't think their logic, which is basically the same as saying "your salary is intended to cover the cost of lunches at the company cafeteria," holds water (or any other beverage).
That's a good thought. We have a lot of employees who split time between two of our offices (they are only an hour apart). I could see the firm wanting to limit those employees assigned to office A but working from office B getting a meal allowance.

In my case, I am a "virtual" employee with no assigned office. As you note, I would otherwise make my breakfast and lunch at home for a fraction of the cafeteria cost.

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The sad thing is that some bean counter is patting himself on the back over coming up with such an employee-unfriendly policy.
Yeah, all in the name of "corporate responsibility" and "cost savings".
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTT
My company just introduced a new "enhancement" to our expense policy that I would love to get an opinion on.

We have a few regional offices throughout the country. When traveling for team meetings we generally meet at those locations. Most of those locations have on-site cafeteria facilities. A recent change to the expense policy prohibits reimbursement for breakfast and lunch when traveling to a regional office with a cafeteria (prior, the policy just prohibited reimbursement for purchases at the cafeteria).

Edited: even if I left the office and went to an offsite location for breakfast/lunch, I would still not get it reimbursed because I had the cafeteria as an option.
Unless the cafeteria is free, I don't see a huge amount of savings in such a policy. Sure, it may be cheaper than the local pricey steakhouse and getting rid of that behavior may be behind the policy, but it could be MORE expensive than another place. If you have an employee who likes to go to McDonalds for lunch, that employee may end up spending more at the cafeteria. My company has a cafeteria and it's pretty good, and not necessarily cheap. The average lunch will run you about 15 to 20 dollars. I know I could eat for less at several places around the neighborhood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.