Wiki Posts
Search

Idiots on a plane...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Idiots on a plane...

Does anyonelse get this type of person on their flights?? On the 07:45 to EDI from LHR on Wednesday morning,as we are boarding there is this guy on his mobile phone,talking VERY loudly,discussing whether a guy on his team was worth keeping or firing,and had to be careful as this guy's wife was a lawyer,was he essential,or a 'luxury',did he keep him on or fire him,'eventually he has to halt the conversation as we were almost ready to depart.On arrival at EDI,there is a delay getting off,the auto sign that allows the plane(767) to line up with the jetty was not ready,nor was the airbridge,anyway,this guy has turned his phone on again,and is continuing the conversation about this guy,and actually names him whilst on the phone,again,very loudly,in the end whoever he was talking to told him the guy was absolutely essential,and thank god the call was at an end, very unprofessional,and an awful bloke,but he was full of his own self importance,sad.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
You can say tossers on the internet.

Put on some headphones and roll your eyes...life goes on. Or ask him to politely tone it down, perhaps. It's not out of line to ask someone to be respectful in a small compact place.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:38 am

Not quite BA related, but self important people who think they rule the world but are probably middle managers doing pointless work are everywhere not just on airplanes!

The world is full of *** people!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:43 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I just feel so sorry for the poor souls who have to work with or for a creature like that.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Go on LinkedIn, send the guy who's about to be fired a message with a verbatim account of the conversation?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Go on LinkedIn, send the guy who's about to be fired a message with a verbatim account of the conversation?
I have forgotten what the name is now!!!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it gets out of hand like that, and goes on and on, just join the conversation.
I've done it a few times at the gate. You get a really really dirty look, but they either move away or shut up.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
And today I learn that if work ever gets me down, I should be glad that I don't work for a person like this, or a company where that kind of culture exists.

Plenty of people on planes with an odd sense of entitlement though - some of the lounge guestbooks always make for amusing reading of people complaining about the most trivial things.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet

Exactly what I was about to suggest

cs
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Many years ago when mobile phones first came in, there was an article revealing that most of the people on the packed Star ferries in Hong Kong chatting on their mobiles were just trying to impress as their phones were not actually connected.

This thought has come back to me many times when there are people talking 'business' on the plane or in lounges loudly. I notice how clichéd the business-talk is and wonder if it is real or why anyone with any integrity or business-sense would talk in earshot of people who could be competitors or anyone.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No phone needed to be a to$$er ... 'Suit' in 1K on the LGW-JER yesterday, in the middle of boarding, feels an urgent need to have a 'greet and chat' to 3K. Cue several dozen pax having to squeeze themselves and their bags past this pillock. When he's content, he then of course barges his merry way back to 1K, with everyone letting him do it.

I think the other pax were all very restrained. I believe I muttered [loudly] something like "Sit down, you idiot" from 2C, but I guess he was immune to outside influences.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:58 pm

Not quite on a plane ... but on the subject of calls ...

I was sat in CDG a couple of weeks ago and a woman came over to near where I was sat (from near her companion) and proceeded to have a conversation at volume about how they weren't going to make their delivery targets for Christmas unless something significant changed in warehouse processes (like upping production 50%).

She strongly felt - and I recall this - that having sat the warehouse teams down and told them to find a solution was enough and they should have found one by now and apparently they'd just told her there wasn't a solution due to under investment in people and this wasn't good enough.

She was deeply concerned about their new operations director who was supposed to have been brought in to fix the processes and didn't seem to have done anything in the 3 months he'd been there and which members of the management team should sit in on his appraisal to deliver the "get on with it or get out" message.

Anyway - she gave me enough information to work out who the delivery director was, look him up on linkedin and from there derive the company, from there find her, figure out who she was talking to and also work out which of their clients weren't getting their deliveries. All in the space of about 15 minutes.

I was seriously tempted to message him. But I figured that would make me as unprofessional as her.

But I was more amused by the idea that this particular company would be majorly failing on their orders for major retailers which (apparently) they've known about for 6 months and have failed to scale for and I felt that amusement would satisfy me.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:00 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
This seems tenuously related to BA...OMNI perhaps?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
No phone needed to be a to$$er ... 'Suit' in 1K on the LGW-JER yesterday, in the middle of boarding, feels an urgent need to have a 'greet and chat' to 3K. Cue several dozen pax having to squeeze themselves and their bags past this pillock. When he's content, he then of course barges his merry way back to 1K, with everyone letting him do it.

I think the other pax were all very restrained. I believe I muttered [loudly] something like "Sit down, you idiot" from 2C, but I guess he was immune to outside influences.
Guys like that ought to be getting "inadvertently" battered by passing luggage. Maybe a torn trouser leg would raise awareness.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rickg523
Guys like that ought to be getting "inadvertently" battered by passing luggage. Maybe a torn trouser leg would raise awareness.
I confess t being 'careless' with my back-pack on occasion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.