Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Does returning to the same airport count (after hitting a flock of birds and losing an engine)??
How about departing from Chicago en-route to London and the pilot(s) shutting down an engine due to a low oil indicator. Plane Plane diverted back for JFK somewhere between Greenland and Iceland! 12 hours late into LHR
Another was a trip from TPA to DFW that diverted to Austin due to storms in Dallas. That was a great divert as I lived in Austin at the time and managed to walk off the plane and get home a couple of hours early!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:13 pm

In 2015 my United flight from DC to Dubai was diverted to Antalya, Turkey because a FA became ill. Passengers had a 2-hour wait on the airplane on the ground, then another couple of hours in an empty room in the terminal while United arranged for everyone to spend the night in two nearby hotels. A couple of the airport staff told a group of us that they were amazed at how patient the passengers were as we waited for about 4 hours to find out what was going on and get loaded onto the buses.

Because we left the airport to go to the hotel, we had to go through immigration, which for many of us meant applying for and paying for a visa upon arrival. It took time and we paid for it out of pocket. We went to the hotel, checked in, and went to the dining room for a meal paid for by the airline. We passengers seemed to be about the only people staying there. It was the off-season, I suppose. Late the next afternoon we rode buses back to the airport, boarded again, and flew on, arriving about 24 hours late. We were told that United did not serve that airport, which was why things moved slowly. I think we had to stay there until the crew had rested. I thought United took care of us well. They paid for the hotel room, shuttle and meal.

While waiting in the Antalya airport to depart, I met the passenger who tended to the ill FA on board. He said that she had had symptoms of appendicitis and they had worsened in flight. He talked with the captain about the situation, who then conferred via radio with a doctor employed by the airlines to consult in such situations. The MD recommended going on to Dubai. The EMT said he strongly urged the captain to land at the nearest available airport. The captain took his advice. The EMT said he was told later that they rushed the FA to a local ER and removed her appendix. The surgeon estimated that it would have ruptured in 30-40 minutes.

Needless to say, I was glad that they took good care of her. That's what I hope they'd do for me or any other passenger who became ill.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
A number of incidents, mostly minor.

A few years ago was on AA on a LAX-DFW on an MD80. Normal flight, until about 30 minutes outside of DFW. All of a sudden we heard thumping, the unmistarable sound of hail hitting the plane.

We began a "big arc" turn, obviously the pilots getting us out of the storm. Apparently the storm stalled right over DFW, and we ended up landing at the Alliance cargo airport, and we were bussed to DFW.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:21 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Nothing spectacular. Probably the most 'interesting' was a charter BAC 1-11 (not a great start) diverting to LGW en route from PMI to NCL, due to engine problems (which turned out to be quite serious). Had a full Sussex Fire Brigade welcome for that one.

Otherwise, mostly weather diversions. KLM AMS-VIE diverting to MUC, then waiting and doing the last leg. Packed flight, middle seat in C, although that was admittedly upgraded from a middle seat in Y. This was where I first encountered the bizarre, but rather pleasing KLM policy of having the captain exit the cockpit and stand at the front of the cabin to announce problems with the flight.

Trying to think of others - flight to BSL diverted to ZRH due to delay on delay making us miss the airport curfew. Long coach journey ensued, and we were dumped at the airport, at 1am, on the Swiss side (BSL straddles the Franco-Swiss border). This was pre-Schengen. The border was closed for the night, so I had to 'break into France', as that's where I was staying...

Think I've been quite lucky, really. Few go-arounds and aborted take-offs, too (I seem to always get the former at AMS and the latter at GLA).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:06 pm

Only once. Thanks to having to wait for a replacement captain for one that as the GA said "got rather ill" we were a little over two hours late leaving MSP. After flying 45 minutes we're greeted by pea soup fog at my home airport. We did a couple laps over the airport and then the captain announced visibility had dropped from barely a quarter mile to under an eighth we were heading back to MSP since all alternatives airports were also fogged in.

Unfortunately for the 90-something year old lady next to me had been delayed almost 24 hours getting to MSP from the Seattle area (IIRC) and had used the last dose of her inhaler before takeoff. I'm not sure if her medical condition flared up or if it was a moderate panic attack when she realized instead of getting a new inhaler from her daughter at the airport she was heading back to MSP without one but she started having a lot of difficulty breathing. I give props to the FA who did her best to make the the lady as comfortable as possible for the flight back. I also give Delta a ^ for having a jetway right off the runway reconfigured to handle a devil's chariot so we didn't have to taxi to the RJ gates.

Not sure what happened to her but she wasn't on the rescheduled flight the next morning. Hopefully she made it on the afternoon or the next morning's flight so she could spend Thanksgiving with her first great-great-grandchild. Unfortunately where Delta gets a is when I talked to her daughter at the airport after we finally made it home is they had no idea where they took her when her daughter asked.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Smaug
(1) MRY-LAX on a United CRJ a few years ago. After takeoff, I notice we are circling MRY. Captain comes on to inform us the landing gear was stuck (and locked) in the down position and would not retract. He wanted someone in the MRY tower to inspect the gear as we flew over. After about 5 minutes, the pilot announced we were diverting to SFO, and we flew at a very low altitude. One lady on the flight was panicking. The FA and other pax tried to reassure her that it was a good thing the gear was stuck down (and not stuck up). We had a normal landing but were stuck in SFO for a few hours until a spare CRJ could be found to shuttle us to LAX. I think the panicked lady decided to find a WN flight instead.
That reminds me, I had something similar happened. Took off from PHX on an AA MD-80 to DFW. Just after takeoff, the landing gear wouldn't retract so we had to divert back to PHX. Scary experience and frustrating trying to get rebooked after the flight was eventually cancelled.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:03 pm

Just one that came to mind...had to find the old thread to fill in the details:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-791-a.html
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
No diversions but a couple of returns.

Late '70s. BA 742 lost an engine on TO from THR (flight was HKG-THR-LHR IIRC). Had to dump fuel and return. Got on a PK 742. In much later years, BA would try to complete the flight instead (IIRC, a 744 lost an engine on TO from SFO, circled for a bit then tried to make LHR but I think had to land in Scotland).

'90s. HP flight PHX-RNO (think it was a 320). Engine oil light came on so returned to PHX after 30 mins in flight. Lots of a/c avalable so they took another a/c (319?)) to resume flight.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Diverted once because of thunderstorms around DFW, spent what seemed to be an hour circling, finally diverted to IAH because of low fuel. When we landed we were told IAH had "run out of fuel" because so many aircraft had been diverted there.

Five medical emergencies during flights, to which we responded (because we are in medical field). None required diverting. It can be a hard decision to make. There was one incident in which diversion was necessary (man with possible stroke); however, we were headed toward DFW, crossing over lower part of Arkansas/upper part of Louisana, and there weren't readily available medical facilities. Decision was made to push it to DFW. Flight was given clearance; seems like we made it there in about 15 minutes. Ambulance and crew were waiting right there at gate. I've never seen plane land and taxi to gate so quickly.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: baec, m&m
Been diverted a twice of over last couple of years, once from LCA/MAN and latest from MLE/LHR. On both occasions the unwell passengers were very elderly, and it would seem returning from holiday. I saw both unwell passengers in the airport lounge/ gate visibly looking unwell with their accompanying families attending to them prior to departure.

I hope both made recoveries following their attention from emergency services, who btw were very quick to the aircraft on landing. But you have to ask why they got on the flight when they were clearly unwell before take off. Caused a lot of missed onward connections particularly on the MLE/LHR, which could have been avoided with some common sense.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Two diversions so far.

The first was a diversion to DUB on a FRA-IAD flight. The flight ended up being four hours delayed on arrival due to the need to dump fuel and then refill.

The second was an unscheduled fuel stop in ANC on a ORD-HKG flight. The plane went tech during the fuel stop so we ended up with a 30 hour delay!

I didn't get the impression that passengers were angry in either case. Frustrated to be sure, especially on the second, but not really angry. On the second flight, which was on United, the captain was top-notch, giving tons of information, first about why we were having the fuel stop, then about the tech problem, and then about the challenges they were having housing a 747 load of passengers in ANC. They did put all of us up in hotels and allowed at least one person to bail completely and return to the lower 48.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:17 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I posted about a mid-flight return to the originating airport about 13 months ago, due to ground crew incompetence:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24764910-post398.html

Also had an incident a dozen years ago where I was flying Istanbul - Ankara on THY, and as we were close to the runway at Ankara, the pilot pulled up and returned to Istanbul. Later found out there was wind shear and sudden wild weather near the ground, yet for whatever reason the pilot didn't want to circle so he returned to the start point. Could have been that IST was the nearest "alternative" airport, after fuel was considered. Same plane did eventually get to Ankara, but it was a nearly six hour adventure to go 228 air miles.

Last edited by Craig6z; Jun 28, 2016 at 6:28 am
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
I have been diverted only once (it was 1989) in >30 years of flying (Maybe I am lucky.) I was flying ORD->LGA on UA, after a 3-hour weather delay, on approach, we started a holding pattern. When I asked why we were holding I was told (I kid you not...) "We are below 10,000 feet, the pilot is not allowed to make any announcements". After about an hour we were told (by the captain) that we were diverted to EWR because LGA was closed.

On landing, we learned an airplane had skidded off the runway at LGA. I didn't mind being over five hours late. I didn't even mind being diverted to EWR (I had a meeting nearby anyway.) What I minded was the stupidity of the UA FA.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:40 am

I've been lucky enough (touch wood) never to experience a diversion. There have been a couple of close calls though.

In 2001 IIRC, we were on an Airtours DC-10 from MAH-MAN when we noticed a panic and a number of cabin crew running to the rear galley, shortly before the smell of smoke filled the cabin. It turned out that an oven had caught fire, but thankfully it was turned off and the fire put out. Diversion was discussed, but the pilot deemed it safe to continue.

The second time was on a flight from ORD-MAN in 2012. About three hours into the flight, an elderly passenger collapsed in the aisle. Thankfully, there was a doctor on board who immediately began to treat hear. I was only a couple of rows away so was a able to hear what was happening; it was initially suspected that she'd had a stroke and a plan was made to divert, but she began to come round and the crew decided to continue. It emerged that she was a Christian missionary who had been working somewhere in South America, she had been travelling for around 24 hours and was severely dehydrated. We were met by paramedics on arrival at MAN, although she was able to walk to the waiting ambulance.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:11 am

ORD-DCA with AA in early 2015 - trying to beat a snowstorm into DC and thought we were going to make it. We were over Tysons Corner, about to pick up the river when we started climbing hard. I knew what that meant. Plowing the runway at DCA and not even a thought of holding to let it reopen. Diverted to PHL, where there wasn't a soul in a terminal and where AA gave us two options: fly back to ORD on the aircraft we'd come in on, or stay in PHL and fend for ourselves. We chose the latter, beginning an interesting 4-hour saga involving an unticketed Amtrak ride, a 2-mile walk in knee-deep snow, and an uber driver with a leopard-print interior who had clearly never driven in snow before...

CLT-ATL with AA still operating as US in summer 2015 - big storms in ATL, diverted to SAV. A bunch of AA/US metal and seemingly half the DL domestic fleet was there. The AA station manager was absolutely excellent and handled the situation in the best manner possible - constant updates to passengers, multiple options for re-accommodation including chartered buses. He somehow managed to get a bunch of us onto DL flights which definitely was not "by the book" but rather just trusty good-ol-boy Southern bidness ("Lemme talk to my buddy over at Delta"). I wrote in and told AA that the guy needed a promotion...

Also had a medical on the BA A380 flight IAD-LHR; called for a doctor in flight but did not divert. They asked that pax stay in their seats while the paramedics boarded at LHR; never really saw what was going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.