Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Medical emergency or otherwise

Have you ever been on a flight which had to detour dramatically, possibly even return back to where it came from for an emergency

even though other peoples lives may be at stake, people would be pissed
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you read some of the threads here, most people are pretty understanding about medical diversions.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Peterpack
Medical emergency or otherwise

Have you ever been on a flight which had to detour dramatically, possibly even return back to where it came from for an emergency

even though other peoples lives may be at stake, people would be pissed
I have been on diverted flights a couple of times. Frustrating, yes. But pissed because someone's life was at risk? No.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I would never be angry about a diversion for a medical emergency.

I might feel differently if we were landing at, say, Bangor to offload a drunk (although I'd probably be happy to have the drunk off the plane). On the other hand, I am not an expert and I would not necessarily be able to tell a drunk passenger from one with a psychiatric emergency.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I spent much of the four hours or so on an LAX-CLE flight wishing the pilot would divert to offload a psychotic passenger. She had been extremely agitated from before boarding to seating herself (in my seat, which I didn't try to reclaim) and throughout boarding, to the point that the FAs asked the captain to consider deboarding her. He sat with her for ten minutes or so and decided she could take the flight. It was miserable for everyone around her, and the cabin crew had to work minus one FA who sat with the lady for the whole flight.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:45 am

Not diverted when in flight, but on the runway waiting to take off, the captain announced that we had to go back to the gate because a passenger wanted to get off the airplane. He explained that if a passenger insists on getting off, they have to let them off.

So we returned to the gate and the passenger got off. The captain then announced that there would be a further delay because the passenger refused to say why she had wanted to deplane. He explained that this is a security issue if someone gets off and refuses to say why - makes sense to me.

Eventually, about 15 minutes later, the pilot announced that the passenger had finally explained that it was a medical issue and we went on our way.

I was surprised that the captain was so open about what was going on but I appreciated being informed. I honestly can't remember which airline it was because I've been on so many recently.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Landed in Las Vegas en route from LAX to somewhere in the eastern U.S. for a medical emergency. Took 10 minutes to get the passenger off the plane, 20 minutes to replace the oxygen canister they had used in flight, and 30 minutes to complete the paperwork documenting that they had done that. Nobody was upset at landing, people pretty much understood that replacing the canister was a good thing, but lots of us (including the pilot) were a bit miffed at how much paperwork had to be done.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Been diverted for medical reasons twice - never angry. You just hope the person is ok

Had to return from the runway to the gate one in LHR due to a wild drunk - yes, I was angry that time. Both at the drunk and the gate agent for letting him board
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Diverted for mechanical on a flight from DFW to Hampton Roads VA (this was in the 1997 or so). We had only been in the air a few minutes when the pilot said we were landing at the closest airport (Shreveport LA) because there was a cargo hold light that was on. We landed and it turns out that the baggage crew hadn't tighten the handle or something. We, of course, had to wait to take on more fuel and left after being on the ground for 30-45 minutes.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Been diverted a few times, mostly weather, but a couple of medical.

One I remember best was when flying from Brussels to Newark. Got diverted to Shannon for someone's medical issue.

Still the only time I've been in Ireland.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Medical diversion to Ottawa several years ago on AMS-MSP. I had a front row seat view of some of the procedures, including the fact that the ill passenger was from a country that normally required an advanced visa for Canada. The plane made a distinct turn from the flight path which looked quite dramatic on flightaware.

Another time my flight diverted from takeoff position on the runway (after being in line behind about twenty aircraft) back to the gate to offload about twenty rowdy drunks who were off duty local police officers.

Mechanical diversion to Shannon on JFK-CDG flight. We arrived into CDG 27 hours late and missed the next day's connecting flight, which forced a transfer to Orly.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 22, 2016 at 4:42 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
One mechanical diversion. Flying from LAS to ORD on United. Suddenly channel 9 switched from Tower Communications to light jazz. A while later the pilot informed us we were diverting to Denver due to an engine problem. Was able to listen to Channel 9 again on approach to Denver - the pilot was asked if he was declaring an emergency and his reply was "not at this time" and we landed without incident. Found out while waiting for a new plane that the engine temperature had crept up close to the point where the engine would have to have been shut down.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Medical diversion to Ottawa several years ago on AMS-MSP. I had a front row seat view of some of the procedures, including the fact that the ill passenger was from a country that normally required an advanced visa for Canada. The plane made a distinct turn from the flight path which looked quite dramatic on flightaware.

Another time my flight diverted from takeoff position on the runway (after being in line behind about twenty aircraft) back to the gate to offload about twenty rowdy drunks who were off duty local police officers.
How does a GA not notice 20 rowdy drunks? One I could imagine but not a gang. Are there repercussions to the GA in a situation like this since it's an expensive proposition diverting planes back to the gate?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gringa
How does a GA not notice 20 rowdy drunks? One I could imagine but not a gang. Are there repercussions to the GA in a situation like this since it's an expensive proposition diverting planes back to the gate?
At the gate, the GA did come on board to tell them to settle down and behave. This was after some passengers complained about them standing up and shouting to their "friends" seated fifteen rows back.

However, I think you could equally ask why FAs didn't report the behavior to the pilots (if it wasn't already obvious to them during boarding) and why the captain even left the gate with these idiots on board.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I was on a flight where a person suffered three seizures on a flight but the flight was not diverted, which I discussed on FT and a lot of people thought were odd.

Only been diverted once, and oddly enough, I was diverted further than my original destination, which most of FT also thought was odd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.