Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Book Lights- Are They Annoying To Fellow Passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book Lights- Are They Annoying To Fellow Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I think carrying a small book light is a great idea. Not only should it be less annoying to neighboring passengers than the overhead reading light (which it is your prerogative to use) but it should also be more effective for you. On many aircraft the lights are misaligned with the seats and not adjustable.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kalderlake

FWIW, I actually find IFE screens in the row ahead much more distracting than an over-head light. Flashing, moving light, instead of an indirect steady light.
This is the truth. Ban the IFE for an overnight flight and it would be much better.

Having said that, none of these matters are issues which eye shades cannot solve. It's far more the sleeper's responsibility to make his/her environment suitable for sleep than it is the reader's responsibility not to use the provided illumination.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I think carrying a small book light is a great idea. Not only should it be less annoying to neighboring passengers than the overhead reading light (which it is your prerogative to use) but it should also be more effective for you. On many aircraft the lights are misaligned with the seats and not adjustable.
I was just thinking about this thread so I'm glad it popped up. Was just in 6J on 772 TPAC. The backwards facing seat across the aisle from me's light was pointed directly at my face! Eyeshades don't do a whole lot of good while you're trying to watch a movie. Luckily he was nice enough to turn it off when I asked (he wasn't using it, just forgot to turn it off and didnt even realize it was on since it wasn't lighting him at all)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:40 am

When I want to sleep, I just put on my sleep mask. Otherwise I think IFE screens are far more annoying, especially if they randomly switch themselves on for every PA.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Jul 2, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I'm of the opinion that folks just need to toughen up and learn how to sleep with the lights on. I used to sleep with the lights on all the time back in my college dorm, once you were used to it, it was no big deal. I sometimes still do, convenient for getting up in the middle of the night. I have ultra efficient LED bulbs, so my electricity bill is barely affected (maybe a few dimes more). I can also sleep just fine next to jet engines and all sorts of noise.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by porky
I had this instance a few years ago when I took a SNA-EWR red-eye and for the entire five hours of sitting in that tin can, the person beside me turned their overhead light on and read a book.
Maybe he was preparing for the time zone in his final destination. Why should your timezone niceties take preference over his?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.