Wiki Posts
Search

How to Pick The Best International F or J Flight Options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
How to Pick The Best International F or J Flight Options

After 30+ years of free vacation travel, my wife and I will be running out of our bounty of FF miles. I anticipate that we'll be paying for our F or J seats from here on in, perhaps 2-3 major trips per year.

I'm interested in how pay-it-yourself F/J flyers make purchase decisions about F/J.

Factors I have considered:

Price
Hard and Soft Product
Ability to Cancel without Penalty
AMEX Plat 2-for-1 deal
Schedule

Factors of limited consideration:

FF Plan/System

If you pay for International F/J yourself, how do you decide on which carrier to take? Do you buy fares that allow cancellation? Amex 2-for-1? Are you concerned with earning miles/points?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I pay for First and Business flights and don't do points. I do that as I figure I can go on whatever airline I want to without being limited by schedules and rules.

I own my own business so for me fares that allow cancellation are my number 1 priority. I don't want to lose 2 First tickets if I have to cancel. I'm fine with having to pay say up to $500 to change dates etc.

After that, my priorities are hard product, schedule and price in equal priority.

I also consider the type of aircraft when choosing a flight but it is not a complete game changer.

I'm not fussed by frequent flyer programs, IFE, staff niceties (although when it happens it is nice but I don't seek it out), quality of lounges, food choices.

I feel that those 2 for 1 deals that you see are not really 2 for 1. My opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.