Wiki Posts
Search

Exit row in first class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Exit row in first class?

While sitting in the exit row and getting the "are you willing and able" speech, I began to wonder if there are any domestic (US) planes where first/business also has an exit row...and if those passengers get the same speech.

My original thinking is "no" but am curious if anyone here has any examples where this does exist.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:30 pm

Upper deck of the 747 comes to mind maybe also the A380 as well. The 787 where there's an exit row that divides the F/J cabin but there's also bulkheads and lavs/galley that divide it as well. I'm sure they get the same question as someone sititng in the exit row in the main cabin.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bitburgr
While sitting in the exit row and getting the "are you willing and able" speech, I began to wonder if there are any domestic (US) planes where first/business also has an exit row...and if those passengers get the same speech.

My original thinking is "no" but am curious if anyone here has any examples where this does exist.
None on US domestic planes that I'm aware of currently. The closest thing would have been the J seats at the window exits (row 9) on the old UA PS 757s. Probably the most legroom of any seat in history. Google for plenty of images.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Upper deck of the 747 comes to mind maybe also the A380 as well. The 787 where there's an exit row that divides the F/J cabin but there's also bulkheads and lavs/galley that divide it as well. I'm sure they get the same question as someone sititng in the exit row in the main cabin.
The "exit row" briefing and special rules apply to situations where there is a window exit that must be accessed between two rows of seats. None of the above aircraft have window exits.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
The "exit row" briefing and special rules apply to situations where there is a window exit that must be accessed between two rows of seats. None of the above aircraft have window exits.
Not necessarily between two rows of seats, just untended by an FA. I usually get exit briefings on A321s at the L2 door.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Even that 747 upper deck exit: a passenger wouldn't ever be called to assist in opening the door? That was the first one that came to mind (United J), although you don't see this type on too many domestic routes these days. I used to get the 747 for DEN-IAD from time to time, and I've sat in a J exit row.

But I don't recall at all whether the FA asked me if I was willing to help.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cmd320
None on US domestic planes that I'm aware of currently. The closest thing would have been the J seats at the window exits (row 9) on the old UA PS 757s. Probably the most legroom of any seat in history. Google for plenty of images.
For those that are curious, here's a pic found via Google:

Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
United Express (Republic) Q400 has F seats which are exit rows. I've sat in them and was briefed.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...nes_Q400_A.php
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:24 pm

I do Remember flying KLM (AMS-PTY) about 4 years ago on their MD-11 (Retired) in C and being told how the emergency doors operates and what was I supposed to do in case of an emergency, so I guess the answer is YES in some cases...

Last edited by LoungeBum; Jun 28, 2016 at 10:31 pm
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't had the exit row briefing for row 77 (exit but with FA seats) of the upper deck on the DL 747.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I do Remember flying KLM (AMS-PTY) about 4 years ago on their MD-11 (Retired) in C and being told how the emergency doors operates and what was I supposed to do in case of an emergency, so I guess the answer is YES in some cases...
Wow, good memory! Now that you mention it, I too experienced this when seated in 5A on a YVR-AMS flight aboard an MD-11 many moons ago...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm 99% sure I've gotten that briefing/question when I had an "exit row" seat in BA J on the 747 upper deck...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:32 am

I sat in the upper deck exit row on a BA 747 JFK - LHR last month. Nothing was said to me about my duties...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:15 am

If there's a seat in an exit row, the passengers sitting there will get the speech irregardless of the class of service, at least from US carriers. It's an FAA mandate, including the wording used by FAs.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The 747 upper deck exit is a regular plane door which require certain trained procedure to operate. I have sat on the DL version at those doors and never recalled the briefing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.