Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Book Lights- Are They Annoying To Fellow Passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

I would never turn on my overhead light in a dark cabin, but I'd like to read (and can't sleep) so I bought a book light. The small light I bought clips onto the book and makes a small circle of light large enough to light one page at a time. It does not light up the area just a book page.

But I don't want to be That Person and disturb others. Have you found that someone using a book light in your row, or close by, has been annoying to you or kept you from sleeping?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Haven't seen anyone use one, so can't say. However, I, for one, have no problem using the overhead light to read. That's what eyeshades are for.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
I would never turn on my overhead light in a dark cabin, but I'd like to read (and can't sleep) so I bought a book light. The small light I bought clips onto the book and makes a small circle of light large enough to light one page at a time. It does not light up the area just a book page.

But I don't want to be That Person and disturb others. Have you found that someone using a book light in your row, or close by, has been annoying to you or kept you from sleeping?
It is totally okay for you to use the overhead lights. Everybody traveling on an public mass transport like an airliner will need to understand that some people want to read, other sleep, watch movies, go to the bathroom etc.

You shouldn't try to annoy people unnecessarily but reading with your lights on? Sure, just go ahead.

You clamp-on reading light for sure won't disturb anyone.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:24 am

They've never bothered me in the least. Actually, a good idea for a flight.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:04 am

if the light is there, you have the right to use it
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal

Actually, using your overhead is appropriate. But, as you point out, it might disturb others. The fact that you recognized that is impressive. Certainly a departure from the usual "It's my life, get out of my way" attitude we see from some posters.

Use a book light. It's the least obtrusive option.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I realize the overhead light could bother travelers who don't properly prepare. (The correct answer if you're going to be bothered is as another poster said, eye shades.)

I've never tried a book light, although not too long ago when Amazon put their Voyager on sale I picked one up for reading in low light conditions when my other Kindle is unsuitable. While I don't find the automatic light sensor useful it does a nice job of letting me read when it's dark while spilling very little light around.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I have been in the position where I feel like the OP when I fly long hauls back from LHR to the US. The overhead seems so bright when it's pitch black in the cabin. My kindle has an attached light which is good in theory but isn't quite bright enough to light the bottom of the page so I have to resort to using the overhead.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:08 am

I think the only thing to watch out for with the book lights is that sometimes depending on how you hold the book/kindle/whatever, the light could be angled so that you're exposing the bare bulb to someone's direct eyesight, which would make it worse than the overheads. Some of the led lights are particularly bad with this. (My wife and I have the older kindle keyboards with the leather cover with integrated light in it that you pull out, I've found even at home that sometimes if she holds the thing just right, I'm getting the glare of the led's straight in my face). Other than that, the book lights are probably less disturbing than the overhead (and probably do a better job of actually providing you with light where you want it), but I'd also say you're perfectly entitled to use the overhead reading light if you want
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:43 pm

I have an older e-book without a built in light and as I don't sleep much on flights I don't hesitate to use the over-head light.

FWIW, I actually find IFE screens in the row ahead much more distracting than an over-head light. Flashing, moving light, instead of an indirect steady light.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I have been in the position where I feel like the OP when I fly long hauls back from LHR to the US. The overhead seems so bright when it's pitch black in the cabin. My kindle has an attached light which is good in theory but isn't quite bright enough to light the bottom of the page so I have to resort to using the overhead.
I have one of the backlit Kindles, love it, and one of the reasons I purchased it was because I was concerned about bothering others like the OP. I also like to read on flights, and the overhead light actually is bright, especially in a dark cabin.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Use a book light. It's the least obtrusive option.
These can be just as bad as described in other posts, both for the user and those around him/her.

The overhead light is designed for this use so is less likely to cause eyestrain or shine directly in someone's eyes.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
The only time I've ever had a problem with someone using an overhead light, the person across the aisle had it on while reading a kindle, which he kept moving. The light beams reflection was repeatedly hitting me square in the eye while trying to watch the IFE.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I do exactly that -- one of those little clip-on book lights are a staple in my carry-on.
I just think the overhead lights are way too bright -- I don't need all that just to read. Why bother others if you don't have to?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by fassy
It is totally okay for you to use the overhead lights. Everybody traveling on an public mass transport like an airliner will need to understand that some people want to read, other sleep, watch movies, go to the bathroom etc.

You shouldn't try to annoy people unnecessarily but reading with your lights on? Sure, just go ahead.

You clamp-on reading light for sure won't disturb anyone.
Irritating as it is I understand and agree that people have a right to use their overhead light in an aircraft. I had this instance a few years ago when I took a SNA-EWR red-eye and for the entire five hours of sitting in that tin can, the person beside me turned their overhead light on and read a book. I will be grateful if more people think like the OP and keep a book light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.