Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who pays for bags damaged on an airport conveyor system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who pays for bags damaged on an airport conveyor system?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SMART51
Was on a flight RUH-DOH-KUL on QR and my luggage arrived in terrible shapr, QR replaced both of them in KUL, with identical luggage (2) and delivered them to hotel.
Qatar is not Asian Airline. Plus they to care about something in addition to money, or in other way - money is not #1 thing they care about.

Try to fly with AirAsia, Jetstar, MAS, even with SQ's SlikAir. Good luck with damaged luggage.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I found my case damaged when it arrived on a BA flight to IAD. Took it to the desk and the BA staff asked if I'd like a replacement one from their store there and then or put in a claim. I put in a claim as I didn't want to be emptying it at that point. Made me wonder what kind of "store" they had there. Flying F if that made any difference.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by lloydah
I found my case damaged when it arrived on a BA flight to IAD. Took it to the desk and the BA staff asked if I'd like a replacement one from their store there and then or put in a claim. I put in a claim as I didn't want to be emptying it at that point. Made me wonder what kind of "store" they had there. Flying F if that made any difference.
LH has a room in FRA with many different bags and replacement parts. Perhaps BA has something similar at LHR?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by mmff
LH has a room in FRA with many different bags and replacement parts. Perhaps BA has something similar at LHR?
They well might, but this was arriving at IAD where I wouldn't think they'd keep a selection of replacements - I did wonder at the time if they were simply unclaimed items that she was proposing to tide me over with.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lloydah
They well might, but this was arriving at IAD where I wouldn't think they'd keep a selection of replacements - I did wonder at the time if they were simply unclaimed items that she was proposing to tide me over with.
Years ago on United, I had a cheap duffle bag rip coming off the conveyor belt at BOS. Took it to the service desk, where they went to the back and brought me a brand new brown faux-suede soft-sided overnight bag, similar to this, but much cheaper.

Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP asked a simple question about a WN flight into TUL (which is necessarily a domestic US flight). What non-Asian carriers do in Asia isn't particularly helpful, especially because US law doesn't apply.

As the WN agent admitted, carriers can't absolve themselves of responsibility for wheels, zippers, and handles. That has always been the case for international flights covered by the Montreal Convention. DOT makes it the case for domestic flights in the US.

If you get a hard time from a domestic carrier in the US, simply file a complaint with DOT. You can do it online and it's cost-free. Provide a shot and keep it simple and short. Provide a receipt for the bag and you will likely see a check soon enough. If you are motivated, file a complaint with the carrier first, noting the DOT directive and noting that you will file a complaint in X business days if you do not have confirmation that a check is on its way. Only do this if you are going to file the complaint.

As to replacement bags, I would generally give those a whirl. You are free to reject them, but carriers tend to buy high-quality non-branded "seconds" in bulk. The "seconds" often have incredibly minor smudges and the like which mean that they can't be sold at retail but won't matter to the average traveler. Most of the time you will do just fine unless you are one of those people who thinks that the branding is more important than the bag. It can be a bit of a nuisance to repack at an airport, but it's also one less hassle to worry about.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United replaced one on the spot for us. It had apparently hit/been hit very hard by something with an edge (my first guess would be tossed and it impacted the corner of something rather than landing on the flat surface as intended). They didn't have the same brand but their replacement bag was actually nicer than the one that got busted.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by quan98
AA baggage agent at DFW told me to pound sand on my old Kirkland Signature bag which had three damaged zipper pulls and was dirty like something oily had ran over it. I was only gold or platinum and don't know whether that'd make a difference. Probably too late to escalate now esp. since I replaced the critical one and just use zip ties on the others. Got too many miles on it to even consider seeing if Costco would replace.

Good to know airline is responsible. Thanks!
Lifetime replacement on Kirkland bags. I once replaced one that was 8 years old, and had seen much better days. The only bad thing is that they have changed bag styles, and I don't like the new wheelie 21/22" bag.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Probably depends on the airline. Cathay, Singapore, Asiana and others might be much better than the Chinese (to generalize) or smaller or budget carriers in the region.
SQ is the king of bag compensation in my opinion.
Couple of years ago, SQ damaged my bag and gave me a new one on the spot. 3 minutes, no dispute. I had quit buying expensive luggage from all the damage over the years, so the bag they gave me was better than the bag they ruined. The only "nice" bag I had was a water buffalo leather garment bag - almost indestructible. Put over a million flight miles on it. Wish I could find another...

Years ago, when I was doing the SFO-SIN R/T 15 times a year, there were competing flights via HKG on both CX and SQ. I would take the Cathay flight from SFO-HKG. CX left an hour before SQ but arrived later because it was an airbus instead of a 747, but it gave elite qualifying AA miles. I could connect to the SQ flight HKG - SIN, but it was only a "legal" connection by one minute. Almost every trip, I would make the connection but my bags wouldn't (if I didn't make it, there was another flight an hour later). When my bags didn't arrive, SQ had a policy to pay $100 (sing$ - about us$70 at that time) in cash for the "inconvenience" then they would clear my bags through customs and deliver to my hotel when they arrived on the next flight. Usually my bags were at my hotel room door less than hour after I checked in. I would have considered paying for that kind of delivery service, but they paid me!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by invisible
On global scale - depends on country/jurisdiction. Here in Asia good luck getting any compensation from airport/airline. This is the reason why locals always buy travel insurance.
Actually, no. Out of one missing suitcase wheel in China, I've managed to get 2 new suitcases and 200 RMB compensation, in total. Not entirely ethical, but then...
On another occasion, a Taiwanese airline (I think it was China Airlines) sent someone to repair the damage done to my suitcase and it actually came back even better than before. Kudos to them!

P.S. I may add, that suitcase in China, I flew on 3 flights with it, including Spring Airlines which is a budget airline. Even they gave compensation immediately.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:38 pm

Delta Just ripped my brand new luggage and completely reimbursed me for it! $275!!

Thank you DELTA
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
100% escalate to SW. They are 100% liable for your bag, not the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:42 pm
Princess Cruiser

Escalation works

I did escalate with a more knowledgeable SW Bag agent the next day. I'm thinking that SW assigns the less knowledgeable trainees to their night shift. The day bag office lady was really helpful as she knew all about the TUL belt destroying bags problem. She replaced the no longer usable bag with a brand new one on the spot.

FWIW: I'm now battling Princess Cruises/American Airlines for completely losing my Seattle EZ Check bag 8 days ago between the cruise ship hallway and my "home" city. Princess says the now lost bag with the EZ check bag tag with the sticky back, was never disembarkation scanned at the Seattle port terminal. So far neither Princess nor AA knows where the EZ Check bag went.

I subsequently read that Celebrity Cruises has stopped using EZ Check at the Seattle port. I think I know why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.