Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are # on this runway.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat

Hey everyone,

Last month I had a couple UX flights where this announcement was made by the captain. Anyone else experienced it? I find it very informative.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Yes, from time to time.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: UA
Once, on a mainline flight taxiing to takeoff at IAH after some storms, the pilot announced "we're number 32 for takeoff. At 90 seconds between takeoffs.... you do the math".
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:54 am

I would say this only happens when delays are involved. I remember a p.s. flight out of JFK a couple of years ago where we knew we were going to be delayed by at least 90 minutes and instead of waiting at the gate we joined the line of 30+ aircraft waiting to take off in the early evening rush after a storm. Pilot mentioned that we were #30 something in the line.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've heard it fairly often at ORD, where takeoff lines can be long sometimes.

But in general, I'm in favor for as much information from the cockpit as they care to give. I always liked channel 9 too, but haven't had it on a flight in a long time.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by altbg
I would say this only happens when delays are involved. I remember a p.s. flight out of JFK a couple of years ago where we knew we were going to be delayed by at least 90 minutes and instead of waiting at the gate we joined the line of 30+ aircraft waiting to take off in the early evening rush after a storm. Pilot mentioned that we were #30 something in the line.
I hear it most frequently at DCA and MIA.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Yep, hear it all the time at ORD. Typically not a good sign...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Typically only at airports with long, simple "conga lines" like LGA.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hear this I would say on most flights - everything from we're #1 or #2 for take off to my record, on AC, where we were # 48 (I think, 40-something, anyway) at EWR for the 9pm to YYZ - that took probably close to an hour and a half. I don't think there were even big issues - just some wind or something in he afternoon/evening so things piled up - combined with being evening and behind all the heavys going TATL. Luckily, at least, AC has gate-to-gate entertainment to help pass the time.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign - I haven't counted, but I'd guess about 50 - 75% of the time I hear it on my flights, it's #1 - #3 to for take off. And I think it's nice info. to have as well.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I hear "we're number 'x' for takeoff" now and then.
Hearing "we're number 3 on the runway" would make me slightly worried since lining up multiple aircraft on the actual runway may not be a great idea. What if an arriving aircraft has to make an emergency landing and there are five aircraft on the runway?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I hear it quite frequently, even if it's just "we're #1 for takeoff". What's rare is for there to be a line and for the plane I'm on to cut it! Happened to me at least once (possibly at PHX) where there were 8-10 planes in the queue and my flight just went around them on a different taxiway and straight to the runway.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I hear "we're number 'x' for takeoff" now and then.
Hearing "we're number 3 on the runway" would make me slightly worried since lining up multiple aircraft on the actual runway may not be a great idea. What if an arriving aircraft has to make an emergency landing and there are five aircraft on the runway?
I think you're mishearing what we're saying ... its "we're number three *for* the runway." There's never three airplanes lined up on an active runway at once awaiting departure.

As much as anything the announcement is to give the flight attendants a general idea of when they need to be seated. "We're next for departure" versus "we're number three for the runway" gives them an extra minute or two to prepare.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Typically only at airports with long, simple "conga lines" like LGA.
You hear it at peak times in SAN too because it the single runway.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Once we were "number 30-something in line to push". SFO had just lost 1R/L due to wind and it took an hour to clear the lines
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
I think you're mishearing what we're saying ... its "we're number three *for* the runway." There's never three airplanes lined up on an active runway at once awaiting departure.
I was commenting on the OP's title: "we are # on this runway."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.