Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What should we do when we experience hijacking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:48 am
jy3
Original Poster

Looks like things are getting worse these days and it came up to my mind since I fly a lot on commerical airplanes.

What actions could we take realistically when we experience hijacking?

Is it the best to just sit calm and follow what the hijackers tell us to do?

What are your thoughts on this?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: none
What kind of person are you? What would you do if someone asked you for your wallet?

Are you one who does not like to make a scene?
or
Do you take charge and not allow anyone else to push you around?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jy3
Looks like things are getting worse these days
No, they're not. Look back at the 1970s and you'll see that there was much more hijacking than there is today. Don't be influenced by that mentally unstable fool in Egypt today.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For most people, trying to stay calm and not attract attention is probably smart. Later it could be good to try to make friends with the person holding you hostage in some situations, perhaps talk of family or try to pretend to be sympathetic.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jy3
Looks like things are getting worse these days and it came up to my mind since I fly a lot on commerical airplanes.

If you have to ask this, the best thing you can do for yourself is stay in your seat and try to be calm.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, they're not. Look back at the 1970s and you'll see that there was much more hijacking than there is today. Don't be influenced by that mentally unstable fool in Egypt today.
Hitching a ride to Cuba and slamming into buildings are two different things.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jy3

Stay calm and adjust behavior as needed based on a thoughtful assessment of the situation while in the situation.

The world is a pretty safe place today relative to say a century ago, with life expectancy numbers to show for it.

Realistically, the odds of me being struck by lightning and dying from it are much higher than of me being on a hijacked plane. Time to wear a giant rubber suit at all times?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:32 pm

You can take a selfie with your friendly hijacker: https://twitter.com/JayWhatley/statu...10493114843136
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by AS MHT
An event 15 years ago and the monthly hijackings from the '70s are also two different things. I don't think you can even call the latter "these days".

And I certainly don't see hijackings "getting worse these days" unless I've completely missed the news stories.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, post 9/11 I have to assume they will crash they plane, killing not only everyone on board, but many on the ground. I would attack anyone who attempted to hijack the plane, and use as much force as needed to stop them. No holds barred - eye gouging, groin shots, biting - anything it takes to stop the threat, and if they die it's on them, not me. If I'm going to die, I'll do it fighting.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by greggarious
Unfortunately, post 9/11 I have to assume they will crash they plane, killing not only everyone on board, but many on the ground. I would attack anyone who attempted to hijack the plane, and use as much force as needed to stop them. No holds barred - eye gouging, groin shots, biting - anything it takes to stop the threat, and if they die it's on them, not me. If I'm going to die, I'll do it fighting.
Agreed, if the situation is going to far, and any resolution is getting more and more unlike, I would do my best to defend my family (may be even myself), unless the risk my sole action could cause to other passengers is widely bigger than chances of resolution.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AS MHT
Maybe you should read up on hijackings of the 1970s before you post this sort of nonsense.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greggarious
It depends on what they are doing.

If they are just threatening and demanding the pilots do <x> then let them be. Unless <x> is impossible (I'm thinking of that hijacking in Africa where they demanded to fly to a location beyond the range of the fuel on board) the pilots will do <x> and you'll be on the ground somewhere, almost certainly safer than settling it in the air.

On the other hand, if they are trying to gain access to the cockpit it's no holds barred. Organize as many passengers as you can to take them down, if they have weapons less than guns grab luggage as a shield.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Tricky question.

Firstly, I'd imagine it would be close to impossible to know if it's a 9/11-style, 'crash into a building,' hijacker or a egypt air 'I just want to meet my wife again' hijacker. The former necessitates far greater personal action/risk-taking than the latter.

Personally I would probably just do nothing other than login to the plane's wi-fi, buy internet access, and send "this might be goodbye" messages to all my loved ones.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jy3

Pray?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.