Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What should we do when we experience hijacking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should we do when we experience hijacking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuigao
Tricky question.

Firstly, I'd imagine it would be close to impossible to know if it's a 9/11-style, 'crash into a building,' hijacker or a egypt air 'I just want to meet my wife again' hijacker. The former necessitates far greater personal action/risk-taking than the latter.

Personally I would probably just do nothing other than login to the plane's wi-fi, buy internet access, and send "this might be goodbye" messages to all my loved ones.
You can tell them apart--kamikaze flights inherently involve obtaining access to the cockpit. No cockpit, wait it out. Cockpit (any serious attempt to obtain access), take them down at all costs.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Nah, I'm taking them down at all costs regardless of whether they're attempting to breach the cockpit. If they're hijacking the plane to do anything for any reason, I'm fighting dirty and taking them down. I'm not going to sit there and assume things about their intentions.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you can probably tell them apart (political claim type versus kill the lot type) so that may impact my decision, but I am firmly of the 'take them out as soon as you can, if you can' camp (exceptions would be if they were wearing explosive vests with dead man triggers, holding a grenade with pin removed, etc.).

I think the population, as a whole, is more inclined to cooperate to defeat hostages on a plane in a post 9-11 world, as the loss of life on board would almost certainly be less than the loss of life on the ground if that was the intent of the terrorists. Even if the terrorists had small arms (I am assuming the likelihood of anything larger than a handgun is remote) there is a finite number of shots they can fire before needing to stop to reload.

I also think pilots are maybe more likely to cause potential harm to passengers to save the plane load these days as well (e.g. knocking out oxygen supply to the cabin) which would be a good option, provided no dead man triggers of course!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The chances of anyone experiencing a hijacking is extremely remote, unless you are the hijacker.

There are plenty of risks that are far more likely to occur to worry about instead of this.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by emma69
I think the population, as a whole, is more inclined to cooperate to defeat hostages on a plane in a post 9-11 world, as the loss of life on board would almost certainly be less than the loss of life on the ground if that was the intent of the terrorists.
There was a sea change in common wisdom that occurred in real time on 9-11. Before then, it was "Everyone stay quiet, do what the hijackers want, and you'll all get out alive." By mid-morning on that fateful day people had figured out, "The hijackers are determined to kill every single person on this plane plus thousands more on the ground. Consider yourselves deputized."
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by greggarious
Unfortunately, post 9/11 I have to assume they will crash they plane, killing not only everyone on board, but many on the ground. I would attack anyone who attempted to hijack the plane, and use as much force as needed to stop them. No holds barred - eye gouging, groin shots, biting - anything it takes to stop the threat, and if they die it's on them, not me. If I'm going to die, I'll do it fighting.
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Nah, I'm taking them down at all costs regardless of whether they're attempting to breach the cockpit. If they're hijacking the plane to do anything for any reason, I'm fighting dirty and taking them down. I'm not going to sit there and assume things about their intentions.
Thank you for the answers I had thought would be given to the OP's question.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Man, I really hope I'm not on the same flight as you if it's a ride to Cuba kind of hijacking. And...
Man, I really hope I am on the same flight as you if it's a 9/11 kind of hijacking.

In a world where our kids know about Run, Hide, or Fight, something tells me you're hardwired for the last one. Respect.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Maybe you should read up on hijackings of the 1970s before you post this sort of nonsense.
-1. Needlessly harsh.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Maybe you should read up on hijackings of the 1970s before you post this sort of nonsense.
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
-1. Needlessly harsh.
Maybe you should read up on some of these as well. I doubt you'd feel the same way if you knew someone who went through this.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The chances of anyone experiencing a hijacking is extremely remote, unless you are the hijacker.

There are plenty of risks that are far more likely to occur to worry about instead of this.
Agreed.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Man, I really hope I'm not on the same flight as you if it's a ride to Cuba kind of hijacking. And...
Man, I really hope I am on the same flight as you if it's a 9/11 kind of hijacking.

In a world where our kids know about Run, Hide, or Fight, something tells me you're hardwired for the last one. Respect..
You realize that the 9/11 hijackers also claimed if people complied they would not be hurt, right?

Frankly, it isn't about being a hero per se. It's about the fact that sadly, it's better to risk the loss of the plane than the loss of the plane PLUS lives on the ground.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA, HA
You realize that the 9/11 hijackers also claimed if people complied they would not be hurt, right?

Frankly, it isn't about being a hero per se. It's about the fact that sadly, it's better to risk the loss of the plane than the loss of the plane PLUS lives on the ground.
Exactly. That's kinda the point. Hard to say whether fighting back is foolish/unhelpful vs warranted heroism (to save other people).

And calling someone's opinion nonsense (even if it it seems warranted) is -1 on the scale of Promoting Civil Discourse.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jy3
Looks like things are getting worse these days and it came up to my mind since I fly a lot on commerical airplanes.

What actions could we take realistically when we experience hijacking?

Is it the best to just sit calm and follow what the hijackers tell us to do?

What are your thoughts on this?
maybe we can try to hide in some space like restroom or other small cabin
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:00 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
There was a sea change in common wisdom that occurred in real time on 9-11. Before then, it was "Everyone stay quiet, do what the hijackers want, and you'll all get out alive." By mid-morning on that fateful day people had figured out, "The hijackers are determined to kill every single person on this plane plus thousands more on the ground. Consider yourselves deputized."
Very true, and this knowledge is very likely why flight 93 didn't reach its intended target. The passengers on that flight knew about the earlier hijackings and weren't going to let it happen again.

I think that political hijackers will usually make it clear what they want, such as the release of prisoners. If they don't, it's safe to assume they are suicide hijackers, and charge against them.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: AA
Unfortunately, post 9/11 I have to assume they will crash they plane, killing not only everyone on board, but many on the ground. I would attack anyone who attempted to hijack the plane, and use as much force as needed to stop them. No holds barred - eye gouging, groin shots, biting - anything it takes to stop the threat, and if they die it's on them, not me. If I'm going to die, I'll do it fighting.
Are you as much as a superhero stud in real life as you are on the interwebs?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
1. Check out flightradar24
2. See how many flights there are at any one time
3. Realise how unlikely a hijacking is.
4. Relax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.