Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What should we do when we experience hijacking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should we do when we experience hijacking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I know two people who have been on hijacked flights. They both sat tight and were fine. The world's changed though so I'm not sure that's the right approach.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee
I wonder if you can spot a Marshall. Does he or she avoid alcohol, travel alone, look like Liam Neeson (if you've seen the film), etc?
I believe I sat next to one a few years ago - he didn't drink anything, he kept his jacket on all flight, despite it being warm, he was already in his seat when everyone else got on to board (I was at the front of the pre-boarding line, he was not in front of me), and he looked at everyone walking past as they boarded. His bag was stashed in the FA's locker (not the overhead). During the flight he didn't nap, didn't watch IFE, had a book but didn't seem to ever read it. I also wondered if he was put in the seat next to me to make it seem like we were a couple - there were a lot of men on this particular flight, so perhaps seating them next to a woman makes it seem more inconspicuous?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee
I wonder if you can spot a Marshall. Does he or she avoid alcohol, travel alone, look like Liam Neeson (if you've seen the film), etc?
I can spot some FAMs and their foreign equivalents. In some cases I even can figure out precisely where all the guns are on my flights.

On the US, European and Asian carriers where I have been aware of the presence of FAMs/FAM-equivalent, they aren't allowed to be under the influence of alcohol in the course of their flight duties.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:43 pm

The chance of being involved in a hijacking is so incredibly remote I don't give it a second though. Much more chance of being run over on the way to the airport or killing myself putting some trousers on.

Can't go through life preparing for things like this that are almost certainly never going to happen.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think you're going to find many US air marshalls on non-US carriers.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
This thought has crossed my mind. As a young man, I feel that it's up to me/my demographic to step up first.

1) I hope I never have to find out if I have the steel to be (potentially) useful.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't think you're going to find many US air marshalls on non-US carriers.
And no one but you seems to have suggested the above.

I find plenty of FAM equivalents on non-US carriers.

The US isn't the only country with airlines that have air marshals (by whatever name they go) on them.

There are some US dual citizens who are air marshals on some non-US carriers.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:02 am

Yeah it would be impossible to test this out even in a experimental way. There are too much ethical issues involve so I guess making an article or research would be impossible.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And no one but you seems to have suggested the above.

I find plenty of FAM equivalents on non-US carriers.

The US isn't the only country with airlines that have air marshals (by whatever name they go) on them.

There are some US dual citizens who are air marshals on some non-US carriers.
I wonder how you go about identifying them. My guess (and it is only that) is that air marshals are on board a statistically insignificant number of flights worldwide. I'm not sure if you are privileged with insider information (i.e. you or someone close to you is in the business) but, given that most countries don't use them or acknowledge their - or their program's - existence in any way, using the word 'plenty' seems, prima facie, a bit casual.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
I believe I sat next to one a few years ago - he didn't drink anything, he kept his jacket on all flight, despite it being warm, he was already in his seat when everyone else got on to board (I was at the front of the pre-boarding line, he was not in front of me), and he looked at everyone walking past as they boarded. His bag was stashed in the FA's locker (not the overhead). During the flight he didn't nap, didn't watch IFE, had a book but didn't seem to ever read it. I also wondered if he was put in the seat next to me to make it seem like we were a couple - there were a lot of men on this particular flight, so perhaps seating them next to a woman makes it seem more inconspicuous?
Sounds like you sat next to one.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I wonder how you go about identifying them. My guess (and it is only that) is that air marshals are on board a statistically insignificant number of flights worldwide. I'm not sure if you are privileged with insider information (i.e. you or someone close to you is in the business) but, given that most countries don't use them or acknowledge their - or their program's - existence in any way, using the word 'plenty' seems, prima facie, a bit casual.
I fly on certain routes that have a higher -- much higher -- proportion of armed personnel on board than most other flights. My flight patterns are not a mirror image of all "flights worldwide", but it's been "plenty" on some non-US carriers routes of which I have made good use.

You can keep wondering about how I know which of my flights have plain clothes armed personnel on board, but it's not all that difficult to figure out how I have known.

Of the countries where there is a FAM style program, public acknowledgement of the use of such personnel as a security measure has taken place in a variety of them.

Remember David Blunkett?

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 14, 2016 at 4:04 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Beer - check.
Popcorn - check.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Beer - check.
Popcorn - check.
Unless it's non-alcoholic beer, a consumption of beer and popcorn in-flight would be a give away that either you're not legally authorized to carry a gun in the passenger cabin of common carrier flights or that you're not abiding by the rules set by the employer.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unless it's non-alcoholic beer, a consumption of beer and popcorn in-flight would be a give away that either you're not legally authorized to carry a gun in the passenger cabin of common carrier flights or that you're not abiding by the rules set by the employer.
Or a FAM who thinks outside the box--put non-alcoholic beer in an ordinary beer bottle. Any bad guy will note the beer bottle and conclude the guy isn't a FAM.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Or a FAM who thinks outside the box--put non-alcoholic beer in an ordinary beer bottle. Any bad guy will note the beer bottle and conclude the guy isn't a FAM.
Not necessarily, for the ways for a person to know if a man or woman on a flight is a FAM/FAM-equivalent doesn't depend upon that person not being a bad guy. Not that it matters that much when it comes to terrorists on flights with the interest and means and opportunity to attack their own flight as they are few and far between. I'd worry more about carjackings than hijackings if I were a proverbial worry wart.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 14, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.