Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you sign your credit cards so that it won't smudge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you sign your credit cards so that it won't smudge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Not true, there are Chip and PIN cards issued in the US, I have a few myself.
I am glad to hear that some banks are being progressive. AmEx and Chase are doing chip and signature cards at this point in time. It is too bad the collective banking industry can not get their act together and move forward and join the 20th century.

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Personally, I don't sign mine.
Do you put a line through the signature area?? I would at least do that so if the card is lost someone does not sign it and go shopping.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 22, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I am glad to hear that some banks are being progressive. AmEx and Chase are doing chip and signature cards at this point in time. It is too bad the collective banking industry can not get their act together and move forward and join the 20th century.
Chase even reminds you to always carry local currency in case a pin is required.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I never sign mine. I actually had a Chase bank agent ask me to sign my debit card because I wanted to withdraw foreign currency. I just left, went to the ATM outside, withdrew cash, and asked him to convert that.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by #10
Me, too. Was buying something at a duty free in Asia. Signed the cc slip and showed my passport with signature match. Clerk would not accept. Finally, printed ASK FOR ID on the cc slip and was allowed to proceed.
Not that most merchants ever care, but credit card companies require that you sign your card and that you not write "Ask for ID". Sounds like you found the one clerk that actually followed the acceptance criteria.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swy
Are there pens that you would recommend? Thanks!
Sharpie makes some pens that write like a pen rather than a marker but contain the ink the markers contain.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Christopher
I have wondered what would happen if I signed "Mickey Mouse" or "Donald Duck" or even "Mary Poppins", but I haven't ever done that....
Nothing. Since by definition your signature is your unique interpretation of the characters of your name, there's no reason it can't be something odd. I don't see how you could be challenged on a signature not looking like the characters of your name.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Re: chip and ____ -- if you have a lot of time on your hands, there's this thread with way more info than you probably ever wanted to know

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
From what I've read in the US Visa is going chip and signature and MasterCard is going chip and PIN. I wish they'd both go the latter route but I can already hear people bellyaching about having to remember another PIN.
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
All with chips, but only one (from what I understand) is a chip & PIN (Wells Fargo).
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Not true, there are Chip and PIN cards issued in the US, I have a few myself.
It's not quite that simple. MasterCard requires a PIN on the card but doesn't require it to be preferred over signature. A lot of cards that are supposedly "chip and PIN" like the Arrival+ still prefer signature over PIN when possible. There's only a couple of issuers who will actually prefer PIN over signature for their credit products (UNFCU, Diners Club and First Tech) and a few more who will prefer it for debit cards (BMO Harris and Capital One 360).

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I sign mine "ASK FOR ID."
I was actually reading the Visa rules this morning and the clerk's supposed to make you sign the card with your correct signature if he/she sees that phrase or if there's nothing in the signature block. Of course, that doesn't really make anything better security-wise.

For what it's worth I don't put anything on most of my cards and I haven't run into problems in the US. They're a lot more picky about that sort of thing abroad though, especially considering most of my cards have no PIN. Frankly I'm not sure why we're even allowed to swipe our own cards in the US if the signature's supposed to be checked.

Anyway, what does everyone think about putting tape over the signature block to keep it from smudging later on? Of course, after letting it dry a bit first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.