Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you sign your credit cards so that it won't smudge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you sign your credit cards so that it won't smudge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:26 pm

Corollary question.
What do you do when a cashier (usu. at a greasy/fast food place) returns your credit card with oily fingerprint smudges?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
Corollary question.
What do you do when a cashier (usu. at a greasy/fast food place) returns your credit card with oily fingerprint smudges?
Wipe it off?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Rip their arm off and beat them to death with it?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
By the end of the year, we're supposed to be on the chip system. Even my bank debit card has one now. I imagine the days of signing cards are over.
Nope, cards have a chip but no pin so you will still need to sign. The American banking systems is still in the last century.

As for signing a card, I use a fat Sharpie and put my initials.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
By the end of the year, we're supposed to be on the chip system. Even my bank debit card has one now. I imagine the days of signing cards are over.
Originally Posted by Redhead
Nope, most chip cards in the US will be chip and signature ��. We'll still be behind the times
I'm curious about this and perhaps our European posters could shed some light. I have multiple CC's. All with chips, but only one (from what I understand) is a chip & PIN (Wells Fargo). I've casually asked my CC companies, and one told me that the inability to choose a PIN is a major factor here (in the US - because the PIN is programmed on the chip and can't easily be changed).

So - Can you choose your own PIN on chip & PIN CC/debit cards (in Europe)?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
When I was living in France I set my own PIN. That was almost 20 years ago.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:46 pm

From what I've read in the US Visa is going chip and signature and MasterCard is going chip and PIN. I wish they'd both go the latter route but I can already hear people bellyaching about having to remember another PIN.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Sign it and leave it for a while. It'll dry eventually.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I sign mine "ASK FOR ID."
Me, too. Was buying something at a duty free in Asia. Signed the cc slip and showed my passport with signature match. Clerk would not accept. Finally, printed ASK FOR ID on the cc slip and was allowed to proceed.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:35 am

In my experience in Europe the card comes with a pre-set PIN (sent separately from the card if the card is a new account), but you can change it an any time using an ATM. As far as I know it can be changed repeatedly if you want to do that. In Australia I think you might have to go into a branch to change your PIN. So I guess it depends on the policy of the issuer.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Christopher
In my experience in Europe the card comes with a pre-set PIN (sent separately from the card if the card is a new account), but you can change it an any time using an ATM. As far as I know it can be changed repeatedly if you want to do that. In Australia I think you might have to go into a branch to change your PIN. So I guess it depends on the policy of the issuer.
^^^^ This - for all UK cards. They come with a PIN and you can set your own at most bank operated ATMs.

I also sign mine with a Sharpie.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Nope, cards have a chip but no pin so you will still need to sign. The American banking systems is still in the last century.

As for signing a card, I use a fat Sharpie and put my initials.
Not true, there are Chip and PIN cards issued in the US, I have a few myself.

I'm curious about this and perhaps our European posters could shed some light. I have multiple CC's. All with chips, but only one (from what I understand) is a chip & PIN (Wells Fargo). I've casually asked my CC companies, and one told me that the inability to choose a PIN is a major factor here (in the US - because the PIN is programmed on the chip and can't easily be changed).

Whoever you talked to at the CC company is misinformed or isn't being honest with you. PINs can be chosen with US issued Chip and PIN cards. I've chosen a custom PIN with my Barclay's cards and also a Citi issued Visa card.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1; LG-H811 Build/LMY47D) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/43.0.2357.93 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I've customized my pin on my Arrival+ and my Diners Club - no issues.

On the sig, I'm another who uses a Sharpie ultra-fine (in blue).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:40 am

Sweden: I can't change my PINs. Get them preassigned by the card issuer and so far no ATM allowed me to change them. Was quite happy that at least AMEX offers the option to freely select a PIN when you sign up for the card. Still have to remember like 6 different PINs
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by #10
Me, too. Was buying something at a duty free in Asia. Signed the cc slip and showed my passport with signature match. Clerk would not accept. Finally, printed ASK FOR ID on the cc slip and was allowed to proceed.
That's fantastic!

Personally, I don't sign mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.