Window Shade Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window Shade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It depends on my preference and my mood at the time.

But the people who press their noses against the window to stare slack-jawed at the clouds and ignore a request from the cabin crew to close the blinds should consider their position and the potential repercussions.

Dismiss my position as "imaginary" at the risk of your dry pants as you wish.
^ That would entertain me for all of about 30 seconds. And people who claim they want to look at the scenery on a TPAC???

Thankfully if you talk to a FA they will pretty much *always* ask the guy to close the shade.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
^ That would entertain me for all of about 30 seconds. And people who claim they want to look at the scenery on a TPAC???
To each his own. I love looking out the window even over the ocean.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
should consider their position and the potential repercussions.
Ah, the cry of the keyboard kommando, very brave when there's nothing on the line and undoubtedly every bit so when the call light is on.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I try to get a window seat because I like the views. Now in the early morning with the sun shining through I will close or pull down the shade but he who sits at the window controls the window shade.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by nkedel
Ah, the cry of the keyboard kommando, very brave when there's nothing on the line and undoubtedly every bit so when the call light is on.
Hysterically funny. From the comfort of his own keyboard he maligns someone else secure in the knowledge that he'll never have to answer in person for his remarks. Pathetic. Truly pathetic.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Hysterically funny. From the comfort of his own keyboard he maligns someone else secure in the knowledge that he'll never have to answer in person for his remarks. Pathetic. Truly pathetic.
I post under my real name, and my address is findable online, and I fail to see what it is in my remarks I should answer for.

It's easy, but unworthy of polite discourse, to suggest this kind of passive-aggressive reprisal from the comfort of your living room or wherever you post from.

It's quite another to try it in person, and if you actually do it (which I'm inclined to doubt), I hope you enjoy explaining it to flight crew who will undoubtedly simply instruct you to let the window seat occupant out to use the lavatory, and then go back to their station and roll their eyes at the general lack of courtesy both you and the open-window person displayed.

(Moreover a courteous window-seat occupant on a 3-across segment will often wait, if possible, until one of the middle/aisle get up anyway. Or perhaps you'd block the middle-seat occupant, or attempt to body-check the window-seat occupant should he or see follow? Silliness, as is the original suggestion.)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Speaking of long haul flights, the concept applied should be "what does the majority want". On eastbound TATL, most people want to sleep. The actions of 1 (or a few) should not be detrimental to the rest of the cabin.
Well said. ^
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
Well said. ^
Very well said
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:59 pm

I find it impossible to sleep on airplanes and the sight of sunrise is particularly demoralizing. Other than that, keep the shade up unless there's hideous glare!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:35 am

Dismiss my position as "imaginary" at the risk of your dry pants as you wish.
You seem to be missing the point. I'm not likely to be in this position, so my trousers will remain OK.

A previous poster gave a DYKWIA scenario and I replied.

I can't believe you would side with the DYKWIA unless the cap also fits you.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I hope most of you who have such seemingly strong feelings about seeing a bit of daylight aren't around when Richard Branson introduces his flight of fancy - the aisle seats will be sought by all

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branso...bottomed-plane

Last edited by lloydah; Apr 24, 2015 at 1:45 am Reason: forgot the link
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i read (books) on flights. the majority of the passengers in biz classs seem to be watching the video thing. i do not. i do not pay 5 grand to have a vote to have the shade closed, and i have to sit for 10+ hrs in the semi dark, trying to read my book. this majority rules thing is an absurdity, and unmanageable. the overhead lights, or the side seat lamps are lousy for reading. if any one of the telly watchers tried to use one,they would understand.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
the overhead lights, or the side seat lamps are lousy for reading. if any one of the telly watchers tried to use one,they would understand.
I call bs. Nothing wrong with these. Maybe you need new glasses.

Originally Posted by slawecki
this majority rules thing is an absurdity, .

seems to work reasonably well for most democracies around the world....
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Independent
The logical solution, of course, would be to have part of the cabin open for those who want light, and part of the cabin dimmed for those who want darkness.

I have started to try to think more about what side will be facing the sun when I travel, and plan my seats that way. But I personally do specifically enjoy looking out the window - more importantly I find it very discomforting to be sitting in a dark cave like tube. For so many travelers who complain about jet lag and boring flights, has anyone considered that much of the problem is that you are not experiencing natural light? The very same situation as sitting in a dark theater or room with the shades closed and lights out. It disrupts your natural rhythms.

For those who claim that there is nothing to see out the window and they can do without, why does your video watching and game playing become more important? Cannot that be done on the ground just as easily? you can get glare protectors for your screens. I agree the seat back screens do have faults, but that can be simply fixed with side guards.

Perhaps someone can invent a window screen polarizer you can put up on the window - to cut down on the glare inside but still allow passengers to look out.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
I call bs. Nothing wrong with these. Maybe you need new glasses.

seems to work reasonably well for most democracies around the world....
no, i do not see well. , or walk well, so that mean i cannot read because you want the shade down all the way from tokyo to nyc. buy out the plane, then you can play with the light.

[Political commentary deleted by Moderator as off-topic in TravelBuzz.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 24, 2015 at 4:54 pm Reason: See note above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.