Wiki Posts
Search

Window Shade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Is that really a DYKWIA though? Sounds like just a generic ........
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by cmd320
Why didn't you just select the aisle seat at booking?

Last minute upgrade. I was willing to switch.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Last minute upgrade. I was willing to switch.
Fair enough, and in that scenario I would probably take you up on that so long as you didn't have an attitude each time I need to visit the lav. Not saying you're one of those people, though I have had that type of aisle seat individual in the past, hence why I now select aisles.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I wish I had a quarter of your patience
Posted portion of this in the window shade etiquette thread, but it really deserved a mention here....

DYKWIA on my flight today decided that although he was in the aisle, he had complete control over the window shade. He asked if I would put it up, but due to trying to sleep, I politely declined since I wanted to sleep on the morning flight. He grumbles and I offer him the window seat, to which he declines.

Nearing landing, I am passed out nicely, when all of a sudden the window shade slams open and I awake to a burst of light and two beefy old man eyes staring at me.

I was not happy, but trying to contain the outrage, I again ask if he wants to sit by the window. He loudly proclaims that it should be up since it was down the entire flight. In embarrassment for him, I complied as to not raise a scene.

I have no problem with people sitting at the window having the shade up or down. I do have a problem if I have the window and am trying to sleep and that wish is not honored. Oh, and being stared at in my personal space is pretty uncool as well.

He was also the type to immediately get on the phone at landing proclaiming as loudly as possible how he was so important and that he got to golf yesterday.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I would have lowered the shade back down. Actually, since he slammed it open, I would have slammed it back down. What I would have told him cannot be posted on this forum.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I'm glad that this thread exists as I've been wanting to get this on FT for a while.

This was about 7 months ago on an hour long flight TPA-ATL, MD-90 (I'm sure you know the airline by now - there's a good thread in that airline's forum about snarky people but this is a window shade thing so it goes in the window shade thread).

I was in an A seat (window, left wing) and shortly after takeoff I noticed a hand coming in between my seat and the wall. The lady behind me pulled my window shade down. And this wasn't a case where my seatback was right over the window (where technically either row could control), my shoulder was where her hand ended up pulling the shade down. She stuck her hand in between my seat and the wall.

I was pretty appalled that someone would do that. The lady didn't do anything else, I didn't say anything, and I re-opened the shade sometime when the flight was descending. It was a mid-afternoon flight and was a nice day outside. I don't understand however how the row in front of you having their window shade open would be such a disturbance...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
[QUOTE=stormlover;26586888]I am a 300lb woman who typically sits in the window seat expressly for the purpose of looking out the window. Trust me when I say that if I need to get out to pee, you staying in your seat isn't going to stop me. I have no issues with standing on my seat and using (and potentially breaking) the armrests to get over you. I'll use the same method to get back into my seat if necessary.

Have a nice flight.[/QUOTE

Manners?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stormlover
I am a 300lb woman who typically sits in the window seat expressly for the purpose of looking out the window. Trust me when I say that if I need to get out to pee, you staying in your seat isn't going to stop me. I have no issues with standing on my seat and using (and potentially breaking) the armrests to get over you. I'll use the same method to get back into my seat if necessary.

Have a nice flight.
Wow, aggressive much? Hope I'm never on a flight with you.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Posted portion of this in the window shade etiquette thread, but it really deserved a mention here....

DYKWIA on my flight today decided that although he was in the aisle, he had complete control over the window shade. He asked if I would put it up, but due to trying to sleep, I politely declined since I wanted to sleep on the morning flight. He grumbles and I offer him the window seat, to which he declines.

Nearing landing, I am passed out nicely, when all of a sudden the window shade slams open and I awake to a burst of light and two beefy old man eyes staring at me.

I was not happy, but trying to contain the outrage, I again ask if he wants to sit by the window. He loudly proclaims that it should be up since it was down the entire flight. In embarrassment for him, I complied as to not raise a scene.

I have no problem with people sitting at the window having the shade up or down. I do have a problem if I have the window and am trying to sleep and that wish is not honored. Oh, and being stared at in my personal space is pretty uncool as well.

He was also the type to immediately get on the phone at landing proclaiming as loudly as possible how he was so important and that he got to golf yesterday.
Originally Posted by Juanefny
I wish I had a quarter of your patience
Originally Posted by kettle1
I would have lowered the shade back down. Actually, since he slammed it open, I would have slammed it back down. What I would have told him cannot be posted on this forum.
That shade would have been back down in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Like the middle armrest, the shade does not "belong" to either seat. The aisle guy has a right to it too
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by N639DL
I'm glad that this thread exists as I've been wanting to get this on FT for a while.

This was about 7 months ago on an hour long flight TPA-ATL, MD-90 (I'm sure you know the airline by now - there's a good thread in that airline's forum about snarky people but this is a window shade thing so it goes in the window shade thread).

I was in an A seat (window, left wing) and shortly after takeoff I noticed a hand coming in between my seat and the wall. The lady behind me pulled my window shade down. And this wasn't a case where my seatback was right over the window (where technically either row could control), my shoulder was where her hand ended up pulling the shade down. She stuck her hand in between my seat and the wall.

I was pretty appalled that someone would do that. The lady didn't do anything else, I didn't say anything, and I re-opened the shade sometime when the flight was descending. It was a mid-afternoon flight and was a nice day outside. I don't understand however how the row in front of you having their window shade open would be such a disturbance...
Out. Of. Control.

Barring verbal request from another row, and a valid one at that like a migraine, that shade would have been up faster than than the previous DYKWIA.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Like the middle armrest, the shade does not "belong" to either seat. The aisle guy has a right to it too
D- troll attempt
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by tvtd
Out. Of. Control.

Barring verbal request from another row, and a valid one at that like a migraine, that shade would have been up faster than than the previous DYKWIA.
I have had that happen to me too. I simply turned around and told the lady that I preferred to keep the window open as I like to look out. Nothing more was said or done for the rest of the flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
D- troll attempt
Not remotely. And on at least several airlines I've flown, the window shade has to be up for landing anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Not remotely. And on at least several airlines I've flown, the window shade has to be up for landing anyway.
That's true on other airlines, but only on final appoach. Not Delta in my experience. Even then, I think the OP was disturbed quite a bit earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.