Reload this Page >

Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I have a side question, and while a touch off topic, I feel it might get the most responses here. At my restaurant, we sell Macallan 25 for $105 a glass. Some of my servers get nervous and want to say something to the person ordering because they fear people freaking out once they get their bill. And it has happened. I'm always inclined to assume the person ordering the drink is educated about the typical price of the whisky. I would assume most in this thread would be a bit insulted if my server said "just to make you aware, that is our most expensive Scotch"? (As I would be, but only slightly).

Chris
What if the server reacts with excitement (instead of a question) - something like: "Wonderful - that's the best top shelf Scotch we have!" And, then, if the customer wasn't planning to order something expensive, they can change their order before the server walks away. But, if the drink menu doesn't omit prices for this drink, I wouldn't be too concerned with the customer understanding the price.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i remember paying $50 for macallan 25 at capital grille.. and as low as $15 for macallan 18. scotch prices these days. guess i should have been buying bottles as investment. i recall macallan 30 for £300.

if there are published policies that are not enforced, that is problematic for those following/expecting published policy. dress code is just one example of that. if there is a dress code it needs to be explained and enforced as published. it is ridiculous for staff to treat people differently/poorly based on dress or when enforcing policies like dress codes.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
When I was 25 I still looked 18 (barely) and got the snub while car shopping at multiple places. I was dressed casually but neatly. The only instances where I was treated reasonably were from younger sales people and one Asian salesman who probably realized I was not that young.

FWIW I didn't waste my time revisiting the previous places telling them they made a BIG MISTAKE.

Another time while shopping for dresses for grad school formal with some classmates, we must have ALL looked young. The sales lady in the upscale dress shop thought we were shopping for high school grad, which for us was 8 years earlier. She wasn't rude but just had no idea since she asked if we wanted to put our dresses on hold and come back with parents!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by BenA
Being from Seattle, I have the same problem. Traveling in J out of west coast airports, I get consistently great service - seems like the crews are used to the tech-company set. Traveling out of east coast hubs like New York or Atlanta, I get dramatically worse service unless I'm dressed formally, and it's frustrating.

On the other hand, sometimes it loops back around again and I'm mistaken for an airline employee, which tends to get me better service (although that's a topic for a different thread...)
I'm in my mid 20s, look younger than that, and am SEA-based. Unless I'm doing something work-related right after my flight, I'm dressed casually. I agree that West Coast agents have generally learned to expect this while those in many other locations ask me why I'm in the premium line.

Once I flew to the midwest for an interview and checked in at a Renaissance dressed very casually. The front desk agent made a point of writing down the rate I was paying on my key card sleeve and assigned me a different room type than I had booked that was also in an undesirable location despite having plenty of the room type I booked available. I had a low room rate because the company had rented a large block of rooms that night.

When shopping for cars, I've learned to contact the internet sales department first instead of letting the salespeople choose which one will show me vehicles based on how I look/dress. This only backfired one time when the internet sales manager was a younger hipster-type guy who took one look at me and pawned me off on another salesman.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I also think it's rather funny when it happens in reverse. Back in the "Old Days" when my wife and I were first married we had to rely on trust funds which were pretty mean at times, they thought our age meant we would just blow the lot, (probably sound thinking)
Happily browsing in high end shops we would be disregarded until I used my wife's title of Baroness just loud enough to be heard, then it was like flies to the honey pot. We still didn't buy as we were limited by funds but it was fun at the time. Little things etc etc.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by lloydah
I also think it's rather funny when it happens in reverse. Back in the "Old Days" when my wife and I were first married we had to rely on trust funds which were pretty mean at times, they thought our age meant we would just blow the lot, (probably sound thinking)
Happily browsing in high end shops we would be disregarded until I used my wife's title of Baroness just loud enough to be heard, then it was like flies to the honey pot. We still didn't buy as we were limited by funds but it was fun at the time. Little things etc etc.

Sounds fun, sales me pm call them spcherry PICKERS, or time wasters,,,

One of the first tip hung a salesman does is qualify the buyer, they know a tire kicker, or a for flusher.,,
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I knew a kid whose parents named him Baron. No trust fund involved there and the parents ended up convicted for some kind of financial scam. The least they could have done was buy some little European parcel marketed as coming with a "title", but I don't recall them doing any such thing for him.

No special, positive treatment for that kid at US retailers.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by ajs123
So far the best story in this thread!
I agree.^
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Most of us know the Pretty Woman movie where Julia Roberts goes to the Rodeo Drive shops and they won't wait on her and tell her she's in the wrong place despite having plenty of bucks from old Richie Gere.

Anyone seen their own Pretty Woman moment? I love the thought of a shop assistant or hotel staff gobsmacked at an undiscerning person, in a 10 buck pair of shorts pulling out their Centurion credit card and buying drinks for the whole bar.

You realize, of course, that "Pretty Woman" is a work of fiction, and the script was written that way solely to advance the plot line.

It's a common theme that historically comes about in various versions in literature, TV, movies, etc. "My Fair Lady" is said to be an inspiration, and THAT was actually inspired by "Pygmalion". The classic movie comparison is the Disney standard "Cinderella".

All of the associated works are fiction.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Allan38103
You realize, of course, that "Pretty Woman" is a work of fiction, and the script was written that way solely to advance the plot line.

It's a common theme that historically comes about in various versions in literature, TV, movies, etc. "My Fair Lady" is said to be an inspiration, and THAT was actually inspired by "Pygmalion". The classic movie comparison is the Disney standard "Cinderella".

Just between you and me, I sort of suspect that the OP realises that Pretty Woman isn't a documentary.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Just between you and me, I sort of suspect that the OP realises that Pretty Woman isn't a documentary.
And that Cinderella was going loooooong before Disney - unless he was over 300 years old.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
And that Cinderella was going loooooong before Disney - unless he was over 300 years old.
...and probably Italian...
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Or more than 2,000 years old. (Rhodopis).

I'm quite sure everyone knows that Pretty Woman, like Cinderella, is a work of fiction. Now back to our regularly scheduled programing . . .
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Allan38103

OMG! Really? I thought the story was true. So you are saying there isn't a chance that a super rich and handsome guy will pull up in a Lotus and chat to me on the street. So there is no chance that he'll take me back to his penthouse suite and we'll fall madly in love? Damn.

Oh well, I'll find a date on the internet because apparently there are plenty of single men in my area just dying to meet me!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:09 pm

Last year I helped open a wine shop in a wealthy, yet trendy/funky area of New York City. We learned within the first half hour of being open not to judge a potential customer by their appearance.

(first customer was a middle aged woman who bough a $20 bottle of wine)

Customer #2 - Older gentleman, three piece suit, fancy watch....looked around for a while, asked a bunch of questions and bought a $7 bottle of a national brand of chardonnay.

Customer #3 - Gentleman in his early 30s, tshirt, jeans, trucker hat, stubble, beats by Dre headphones around his neck. Asked if we carried a certain bottle and promptly bought a case of it for $900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.