Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tartempion
I wanted to buy a new car but working late, driving home after 6pm all the dealers were closed. Thus I drove to the local dealer on a Saturday morning but found the place closed.
Wondering how I would be able to buy a car withouth taking a day off I rang the bell.

An angry man opened his home window above the garage and shouted "We are closed"
Followed by an "What do you want?"

I replied "buying a new car, but you are closed" and drove off.

I phoned to dealers in town and found one who stayed open after 6pm and waited for me. 30 minutes of paperwork later I got my new car.
Hmmm. You're saying you went to a "new car dealer" and it had a doorbell and a guy was living over a garage? Was this in the 1920s?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"garage" seems to be a non-US term, there were multiple people using word in this thread
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"garage" seems to be a non-US term, there were multiple people using word in this thread
Garage, in English, has several meanings, but in the context of buying a car, is odd. A garage is usually where vehicles are fixed etc.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Interesting thread. I recognize that as a white male I am the victim of suspicion less than people who do not look like me. That's not to say I'm always handed Gucci on a silver platter, of course. Two observations:

In my teens and early 20s I suffered considerable suspicion because of age. Anytime the exchange of money was involved in any way -- including things as simple as asking for table service at a inexpensive restaurant -- I was often treated with the suspicion that I couldn't or wouldn't pay for it. That was always irritating to me because I started working jobs at age 12 to keep spending money -- my own spending money, not what wealthy parents (mine were working class) gave me -- in my pocket. Thankfully discrimination against youth is a problem nearly all of us grow out of.

Another type of vendors "sizing up" their prospective clients that everyone discusses is based on clothing. Dress better and they'll treat you better, the common wisdom goes. Clothing has been becoming drastically less important over the past several decades, though. Fifty-plus years ago the norm was to dress up every time you went out in public. In that context, wearing crude or threadbare clothes said something about what you could afford. But today it's common for even mature and well heeled people to dress shabbily. For example, it used to be that ripped jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt was appropriate attire for a 12 year old boy or a layabout. Nowadays in places like Silicon Valley (where I live) you'll see a significant fraction of middle age men with six-figure jobs dressing that way. In that context any car dealer, jeweler, real estate agent, etc. who equates shabby clothing with "can't afford expensive things" is going to lose significant business.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmh1204
Garage, in English, has several meanings, but in the context of buying a car, is odd. A garage is usually where vehicles are fixed etc.
as mentioned here >
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/library/WORDS2.htm
A garage is where you get your car repaired/fixed.
https://www.google.com/search?q=garage+uk+service+car

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Audi Dealership
drove into the car park
entered the dealership
driven an hour to this garage
tartempion - location: thailand

and repairs are also done at dealers, and >
https://www.google.com/search?q=dealer+garage+uk >
http://www.southherefordgarages.co.uk/
Cambridge Garage http://www.volvocarshavant.co.uk/
http://www.helstongarages.co.uk/
Bagot Road Garage http://www.bagotroad.com/
Bourne Road Garage http://www.crayford-mazda.co.uk/

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
guy was living over a garage?
bentley dealer in london >
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5099...ww!2e0!6m1!1e1

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 19, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
When we lived in Houston, my office was across from The Galleria. Sometimes my wife would come to visit for lunch and then do a little window shopping (with some purchases). One day, we went into a boutique (I was slightly behind her). The clerks almost ran over to her (I assume thinking she was a wealthy Asian) until they saw me and slowed down. I asked why and, surprisingly, was told that Chinese and Japanese tourists are common and make very large purchases where as locals don't.

Another time, I met the CEO/Chairman/owner of the company I was working for at his private plane. On the way to the plant, he said he needed a snack. We stopped at a convenience store (in the rather poor neighborhood) where he picked up a few items before he realized he didn't have any cash. The clerk refused to accept a check or credit card, so I paid for him. They didn't realize they had a multi-billionaire (listed in Forbes 100) in their shop.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Many a small business person have sleep at their place of business, trying to get it started, only to hire people, who are far more interested in putting in their time than serving a client.

I know how everyone feels and it has happened to me, their is a difference between a sales person, and a salesman., a prospect, and a suspect.

Even today, I hesitate to spend on myself, and often ask do I really need that.

I would never buy from anyone I do not like, or trust.

As businesses become larger they loose control of details, I Wish it were not true.

It has happen to me,
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by relangford
When we lived in Houston, my office was across from The Galleria. Sometimes my wife would come to visit for lunch and then do a little window shopping (with some purchases). One day, we went into a boutique (I was slightly behind her). The clerks almost ran over to her (I assume thinking she was a wealthy Asian) until they saw me and slowed down. I asked why and, surprisingly, was told that Chinese and Japanese tourists are common and make very large purchases where as locals don't.
Yeah, tourists are likely to spend more than locals most anywhere. I get this all the time in Shanghai--merchants trying to interest me in extremely broken English despite the fact that I'm obviously with a Chinese woman.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by relangford
When we lived in Houston, my office was across from The Galleria. Sometimes my wife would come to visit for lunch and then do a little window shopping (with some purchases). One day, we went into a boutique (I was slightly behind her). The clerks almost ran over to her (I assume thinking she was a wealthy Asian) until they saw me and slowed down. I asked why and, surprisingly, was told that Chinese and Japanese tourists are common and make very large purchases where as locals don't..
In Australia too many of the shoppers in Gucci, Dior or Vuitton are Asian buyers.

When I was overseas I sometimes feel that as an Aussie we are deemed not big spenders. We don't covet watches as a symbol of our success or every lady doesn't have a designer bag. I was in Dior with my husband and wanted a watch. Like others, I am hesitant at agreeing to spend money even though I have it. I ummed and ahhed over a diamond dior watch whilst sales staff lounged around not really interested in me. They had let me just look around. When I queried with my husband if I should buy the watch he said "buy whatever you want I don't care". The sales staff heard it and it was like "man every station"... bored husband giving wife anything she wants. Every display case was opened and we were offered a ton of things to try on. How different from when we went in.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by nmh1204
indeed - Here in Kent - I put my car in one half of the double garage at my home, and get general repairs and maintenance done at the Old Station Garage across the road from me, and I go to the garage on the main road to buy my petrol/ diesel!

Round where I live, most new car cars are sold via the various dealerships located on an industrial/ retail park about 8 miles away, however, quite a few of the local garages do sell cars off their forecourts.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
indeed - Here in Kent - I put my car in one half of the double garage at my home, and get general repairs and maintenance done at the Old Station Garage across the road from me, and I go to the garage on the main road to buy my petrol/ diesel!

Round where I live, most new car cars are sold via the various dealerships located on an industrial/ retail park about 8 miles away, however, quite a few of the local garages do sell cars off their forecourts.
This indeed would be a rather well understood use of the term for those conversing/conversant more in the British versions of English than the American versions of English. Some used and new car sellers -- including some high-end and classic car sellers/resellers -- indeed do sell cars from "the garage".
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
In Australia too many of the shoppers in Gucci, Dior or Vuitton are Asian buyers.

When I was overseas I sometimes feel that as an Aussie we are deemed not big spenders. We don't covet watches as a symbol of our success or every lady doesn't have a designer bag. I was in Dior with my husband and wanted a watch. Like others, I am hesitant at agreeing to spend money even though I have it. I ummed and ahhed over a diamond dior watch whilst sales staff lounged around not really interested in me. They had let me just look around. When I queried with my husband if I should buy the watch he said "buy whatever you want I don't care". The sales staff heard it and it was like "man every station"... bored husband giving wife anything she wants. Every display case was opened and we were offered a ton of things to try on. How different from when we went in.
I have encountered this, to an extent. In Hong Kong, boutique/mall* staff are generally pretty good at trying to sell me (white, male, single, 25) their wares. However, Macau and Singapore were a different story - no interest whatsoever

*Variously at Lane Crawford/Harbour City, Sogo, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, and Jack Wills boutiques.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Hmmm. You're saying you went to a "new car dealer" and it had a doorbell and a guy was living over a garage? Was this in the 1920s?
So you are a world traveller and don't know that in Europe you can buy a car at the garage?

Most of the dealers there do car maintenance and repairs and have their home often next to or above the "garage" annexe showroom.

The dealer "garage" in question no longer exists, but do a google map and street view at garage Guns bvba, Wolfshagen 91, 3040 Huldenberg, Belgium, also a Citroen dealer, same brand of car I wanted to buy;

http://goo.gl/8SkNta

And I invite you to google image "Citroen garage brussels"
This historical building was built by André Citroen himself in 1933-1934.
Known by 1 million "brusseleers" as the Citroen garage.
What do you know about Brussels???

And if you can read dutch http://www.brusselnieuws.be/nl/nieuw...lijft-beroeren

Last edited by tartempion; Apr 20, 2015 at 7:54 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re asian market, prior to latest economic crisis >
http://books.google.com/books?id=U2O...ercent&f=false page 74 >
Analysts estimate ... Japanese buy half of all luxury goods [sold worldwide]
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Love tv real estate shows. Watching Million Dollar Listing LA one of the agents was talking about how he never assumes anyone can't afford it. He said his change of thought happened when one person came through a multi million dollar house for sale dressed super casually and had bare feet. He said he bought the house and paid cash. He said that taught him a lesson.
There was also an episode where one of the agents was watching prospective buyers come in from off the street. He was looking out for their cars and would say 'They're driving a Ford Mustang. Classic tourists just coming to look at this Beverly Hills home. Not the buyers.'

When we bought our home a few years ago, we went in without a buyers agent. We tried to ask the listing agent some questions and were given one or two word answers and beyond dismissive (we were in running gear). We got a disclosures package that said her exlusive listing agreement was ending in 2 weeks. We waited 2 weeks and lo and behold, a month later another agent relisted the property and we bought it.

Didn't get to do the 'Big Mistake' bit but it was a high five figure commission (2.5%) that she lost out on by not treating everyone who walked through the door equally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.