Reload this Page >

Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever seen a "Pretty Woman" Moment?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
In 1995, my husband and I moved back to my home country after working abroad for years. We needed a car and, knowing exactly what we wanted (a roughly $40,000 SUV), went to a dealership near our house. We were both around 35, casually but neatly dressed, but had lots of money from working in a remote location with no living expenses for the past 5 years. The salesman barely gave us the time of day. He helped us but clearly believed we were just looky-loos and not seriously going to purchase. He was disinterested and condescending.

The next day, we drove a half hour to another dealership where we were treated as a serious customer, as we should have been. We bought the SUV on the spot, in cash.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Anyone seen their own Pretty Woman moment?
I guess you've never been in former Soviet Union, particularly - Moscow. There is a phenomenon there, called 'Face Control'.

While it mostly applies to entertainment places to keep out blacks, people from caucasus or some other nationalities or those who are not 'appropriately dressed', it is employed in high-end 'couture' shops as well. Security at door might simply won't let you in if they decide that you do not belong to that place.

Last edited by invisible; Apr 17, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Finkface
In 1995, my husband and I moved back to my home country after working abroad for years. We needed a car and, knowing exactly what we wanted (a roughly $40,000 SUV), went to a dealership near our house. We were both around 35, casually but neatly dressed, but had lots of money from working in a remote location with no living expenses for the past 5 years. The salesman barely gave us the time of day. He helped us but clearly believed we were just looky-loos and not seriously going to purchase. He was disinterested and condescending.

The next day, we drove a half hour to another dealership where we were treated as a serious customer, as we should have been. We bought the SUV on the spot, in cash.
Originally Posted by Gamecock
A friend of my dad went to buy a new car wearing ratty, grease stained work clothes.

He was looking a a fairly nice car and the salesperson kept trying to steer him towards a lower price point car.

The guy heard him out and left.

The next day he returned with the same model car he wanted, and showed it to the salesperson, telling him he paid cash up front.
I forgot about cars. What a PITA. Similar experience for Mrs. Lee and I, as well.

Her car finally died so we were looking around for a new one (or new to us, at least). Since we are the kind of people that drive our cars until they basically won't drive anymore, we had been making "car payments" to our savings account for quite a while. Basically prepaying a car loan to ourselves.

She wanted a luxury sedan, but all the sales people kept either ignoring us altogether or pointing us to base trims and models we didn't ask for. When we finally found a place that treated us like grownups, we bought the car on the spot with cash, and actually for well under what we were prepared to pay. The guy actually stayed well past closing time to finish all the paperwork, mostly because he was trying to push the insurance plans, kickback loans, etc. on us (which are annoying, but that's where he makes extra $$ so I at least understand).

The guy that sold us the car also sent us a note a few days later apologizing that he wasn't able to fill up the gas tank before we left (due to us being there so late), and included a gift card to make good on that promise. As a result, we started servicing both of our cars there until we moved away from the area, and sent several other friends to that specific sales guy.

In contrast, a couple weeks later we got a call from one sales guy asking if we were still interested, because he'd found something just right for us. Curious, I asked what it was - wrong model, color, and trim from what we specifically were looking for. I then told him we'd already purchased the car we wanted from his competitor, and even shared what we got and what we paid. He promptly said, "Well, you're full of ****" and hung up on me.

That DID motivate me to send a very nice card to the sales manager of that dealership.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Thirty years ago my dad went to but a new top of the range car and having had BMW 7 series for a few years he went to enquire about a Mercedes. It was week dn and he wore jeans and a sweatshirt and trainers. He also (becuase he was driving into the city centre and parking can be difficult)took my (I was 18 at the time) 4 year old two door little Ford. The car salesman was very snotty with him and told him they vetted their customers (in those days there were long lead times and other car dealers would pay people to go on the waiting list) because they were a prestigious product.

He walked out and as he did told them he was going next door to buy a BMW for cash.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:50 pm

While I didn't have the "Big mistake" end moment I had an issue on a car lot when I was in my mid 20's. Granted I showed up in a t-shirt, ratty shorts and sandals (it was the weekend and in FL) but I was looking at the upper end models on the lot and the sales guy kept pointing to the entry level one saying "but I can get you into this one" and I kept saying it's not what I want. Long story, I left and never went back.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Needless to say I was very happy when they went out of business!
Yes, all the job losses of the thousands of workers who had nothing to do with your experience were certainly an occasion to celebrate.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I was at the Plaza in New York and ready to spend a large sum with my mother. We were both in nice clean but not designer digs. The shop woman first followed us around like criminals, not actually offering to help but obviously worried we were going to steal. Then she spoke very condescendingly to us when we asked a question. We decided not to purchase and told her exactly why.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Yes, all the job losses of the thousands of workers who had nothing to do with your experience were certainly an occasion to celebrate.
Yes because I am a terrible person who delights in the misfortune of others.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:02 pm

This was years ago and the world has changed. Credit cards were rare and the bank was local. The gentleman at the center of this was owned the John Deere implement dealership in a midwestern town and, as a farmer, also owned a significant part of the land in the county. He only wore suits to church and funerals. I heard the story from one of his sons.

He and an employee were on the road and stopped for lunch at a diner somewhere in the next state over. As I said in the beginning, credit cards were not common and to his embarrassment, didn't have cash to cover the bill. His offer to write a check was met with disdain but, the manager finally said that he would take it if the bank confirmed that it was good.

When the manager returned, the attitude was changed and he thanked them for the business. When he was asked about the call, the manager said that that the response was, "of course the check is good but. I don't know why Mr. ______ would want to buy a restaurant."
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sjclynn
This was years ago and the world has changed. Credit cards were rare and the bank was local. The gentleman at the center of this was owned the John Deere implement dealership in a midwestern town and, as a farmer, also owned a significant part of the land in the county. He only wore suits to church and funerals. I heard the story from one of his sons.

He and an employee were on the road and stopped for lunch at a diner somewhere in the next state over. As I said in the beginning, credit cards were not common and to his embarrassment, didn't have cash to cover the bill. His offer to write a check was met with disdain but, the manager finally said that he would take it if the bank confirmed that it was good.

When the manager returned, the attitude was changed and he thanked them for the business. When he was asked about the call, the manager said that that the response was, "of course the check is good but. I don't know why Mr. ______ would want to buy a restaurant."
So far the best story in this thread!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:59 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
I have a story to tell too. We had a big Christmas party at our house and had about 100 people. We ran out of plastic ware and my wife asked me to get it from Ingles which was about 1 mile away. In the middle of entertaining I grabbed my car key and left in a hurry. After I picked up the plastic ware I went to pay and I realized I had left without my wallet or any cash. The bill was only $ 10 but I had no way to pay it. I looked like a hooligan as I was not even ready for the party and the girl at the counter looked at me like I was a thief. I did some pleading that I will bring the money back but to no avail. Finally I talked to manager who paid from her pocket and I gave her my watch as a guarantee to bring the money and pay her. Next day I went from work straight dressed in my work suite and tie and gave the manager money and got my watch back. The girl at the counter did came to me and apologize.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Gamecock
A friend of my dad went to buy a new car wearing ratty, grease stained work clothes.

He was looking a a fairly nice car and the salesperson kept trying to steer him towards a lower price point car.

The guy heard him out and left.

The next day he returned with the same model car he wanted, and showed it to the salesperson, telling him he paid cash up front.
Happened to me. I was at a particular Lexus dealership and knew what I wanted. I said to sales guy... "I like my money and hate parting with it so you have to actually sell the car to me (as in point out how great it is). After my indecision he says.."what, can't you afford it". I reply that I can afford it and could buy three of them with cash if I wanted. We left that showroom and a week later purchased what I wanted with even more $ options than I had originally wanted.

Months later we are at a show and the original car dealership is there and they see my husband with a Titleist golf hat on and say "if you play golf, you need one of these, pointing at the car, to pull up in". I get my keys out of my bag and say I have one. I then proceed to tell them about my experience at THEIR dealership. They are gobsmacked and can just say "oh, I am so sorry".

Originally Posted by gotofly
I have a story to tell too. We had a big Christmas party at our house and had about 100 people. We ran out of plastic ware and my wife asked me to get it from Ingles which was about 1 mile away. In the middle of entertaining I grabbed my car key and left in a hurry. After I picked up the plastic ware I went to pay and I realized I had left without my wallet or any cash. The bill was only $ 10 but I had no way to pay it. I looked like a hooligan as I was not even ready for the party and the girl at the counter looked at me like I was a thief. I did some pleading that I will bring the money back but to no avail. Finally I talked to manager who paid from her pocket and I gave her my watch as a guarantee to bring the money and pay her. Next day I went from work straight dressed in my work suite and tie and gave the manager money and got my watch back. The girl at the counter did came to me and apologize.
Made me think of the time I forgot my wallet when I went to order lunch. I ordered lunch at this place 3 or 4 times a week for years. They had started making my ham and salad sanger before I realised I had no purse. When I said oh no I have left my purse on my desk, I fully expected them just to say just pay me tomorrow, instead they started take apart my sandwich and putting it back in the serving counter. I couldn't believe it. I frequented their place all the time and then I was treated like I was going to cheat them out of 5 bucks. I never went back.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 17, 2015 at 6:24 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member; suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I had a sort of similar experience years ago although I didn't have the nerve to actually say anything.

Early in my career I achieved an important milestone and decided to reward myself with a gold watch. During the work week I had to wear dresses or suits, high heals and hose, etc., (this was a long time ago) so on the weekends I enjoyed comfortable casual dress. When I went shopping for the watch I had on jeans, a T-shirt and sandals.

When I entered the jewelry store I saw that I was the only customer. There were 3 sales clerks including an older woman, a young woman and a young man. Neither of the 3 offered to help me so I found the watches section and saw one that I really liked. I looked to the sales clerks for assistance with a smile on my face. Before I could say anything the older woman turned away and the younger woman followed suit. The young man hesitated a moment and then came over and asked if he could help me.

The young man got the sale and I couldn't help but take a peek at the older clerk when I pulled out my Visa to pay for my beautiful new watch. She didn't reward me by looking surprised but she did sort of shake her head. I enjoyed the moment.

When I told my sister the story she suggested that I might be able to get more prompt service in the future if I wore a nice piece of jewelry along with my casual clothes. Having experience in retail she knew that clerks would notice the jewelry and be more likely to want to help me.

These days I wouldn't hesitate to just leave the store and find a place with better service but back then I was still in the process of developing a backbone.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Yup. When I was in college, I had a major event to attend. I went to Saks, looking for a designer gown, and they told me that I needed to go to another floor, "Where the prom dresses were." I tried explaining that I was not attending a prom, but a rather major social event. The saleslady looked me up and down, sniffed, and just walked away. I was ready to cry.

I pulled myself together, and went to Neiman Marcus, where, coincidentally, a designer was having a trunk show. When the saleslady there told him what I needed a gown for, he pulled out all the stops, and literally grabbed a gown off one of his models that he thought would be perfect for me. It was (of course, it was much, much too long). He sent the saleslady down to find shoes in my (difficult, tiny) size. He called the seamstress in, and together, they made that gown a perfect fit. Suffice it to say: I looked wonderful at the event. And Saks missed out.

I never went to that Saks again.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
All Auto Dealers love financing they get a kick back,,so if you pay cash no big deal..

Car salesmen are bad about snubbing people, they work on the turn system, and they get their share of tire kickers.

I have been ignored also, and even when you write a check for a new MB, they will not sign the title over to you...till the check clears...

We have all been there., and yes it is kind if fun, when it kicks in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.