Wiki Posts
Search

Why is is PAX not PAS?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ROCAT
...many people were illiterate in the railroad days when this stuff became standered.
I'm not sure much has changed in the FT days.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Well, I'm not old enough to know first hand ;-) and have seen various versions. The most common one I've seen is Teleprinter Exchange, but have also seen Teletype and Teletypewriter. Of course, Telex itself can be abbreviated to TLX in telex-speak...getting silly now.
tks
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Y = IATA code for Canada, plus "Vancouver".

It's much more logical than other Canadian codes, like YYZ (which seems to have been named after a Rush instrumental)
Weather stations in North America used to have a two letter abbreviation. When some of those weather stations were outfitted with runways, in Canada they would add a "Y" before the code to mean, "Yes you can land here".

More details: http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

Originally Posted by T8191
"Xmas" springs to mind as another "X" abbreviation, which I personally abhor
"X" roughly resembles the Greek letter chi, which is transliterated as "Ch". It's short for "christ". Originally the phonetic value was quite close to the modern English hard "k" sound, which makes more sense for representing "Christ", but chi has actually diverged in Modern Greek to be more like the "h" in "human".
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Calchas
Weather stations in North America used to have a two letter abbreviation. When some of those weather stations were outfitted with runways, in Canada they would add a "Y" before the code to mean, "Yes you can land here".

More details: http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

"X" roughly resembles the Greek letter chi, which is transliterated as "Ch". It's short for "christ". Originally the phonetic value was quite close to the modern English hard "k" sound, which makes more sense for representing "Christ", but chi has actually diverged in Modern Greek to be more like the "h" in "human".
Sounds like a trip for Port De Paix from Changuinola to Helsinki would be in order.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Much enlightening on both counts, Calchas ... thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
PAS, in the USAF, also means Personal Accounting Symbol, which is what's used as the accounting code for every person assigned to a specific unit on a specific AFB. Every unit on each base has its own PASCODE (with the first three letters signifying the base itself), and it's used to determine whom to bill for permanent change of station moves, temporary duty assignments, and other personnel-centered AF decisions that generate bills.

I have no idea how long PAS as its own code has existed. But if such a code existed in the Army Air Corps (or any military branch, for that matter) when commercial aviation was just beginning its boom, PAX may have stuck for "passenger" to avoid confusion with other acronyms, since both a Pax designation and a PASCODE can exist simultaneously on a set of orders - and then like a lot of military aviation speak, it translated over to the civvy side, as I'm sure most early commercial pilots were ex-military aviators who dragged familiar words and terms with them.

Just my two cents. I find etymology, even for the mundane, very interesting.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Perhaps for the same reason that the abbreviation for San Francisco is Frisco.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 am

I think the 'X' was just easier to chisel into the original stone boarding passes than an "S" was.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, no, not the strange Canadian codes discussion again!
haha oh go on,
I am a firm user of xmas, would only use Christmas if writing to a maiden aunt!

Oh and to add further fuel to the fire, the food company I used to work for used CHX for chicken
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Oh and to add further fuel to the fire, the food company I used to work for used CHX for chicken
Presumably only for baby chickens though?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Calchas

X is also the beginning letter of Χριστός , the Greek equivalent of Christ. Greek, you will recall is the language of the new testament. The usage is not new - it dates to the 16th century.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL, GE, AAA
Why LAX is LAX...

Originally Posted by chris1979

LAX is LAX.

and LAS is LAS.

and YVR YVR.
Originally, when the US didn't have as many airports, the airports were identified with two character codes, so Los Angeles was "LA", Portland was "PD", etc. When the US had to go to 3-character airport identifiers, the "X" was added as a place marker that identifies the "Legacy" airports, so LA became LAX, and Portland became PDX.

LAS could not be the airport code for LA, because it is LOS Angeles. LOS is already in use by the airport in Lagos, Nigeria.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by grinch26
What is #PaxEx? I see this on Wandering Aramean's Twitter all the time.
Passenger Experience, I believe. It's also tagged for the podcast of the same name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.