Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class is GARBAGE!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's any number of news stories or volunteer experiences you can read about or do if your head's so inflated that a coach seat on an airplane feels like a violation of the Geneva Conventions. That might be the remedy for your problem. It's pretty valuable to keep that sort of perspective.
When I first saw this thread a few days ago, I assumed that the OP was a joke post of sorts (i.e. crafted to poke fun at ourselves). Whether or not this is the case, I personally don't think sitting in a small space for 12 hours is the end of the world. Sometimes, I spend 12 hour stints (with bathroom/food breaks) at a desk, which does give me more room to stretch, but the core activity is still the same: sitting.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, because I'd feel like an insufferable prat whining about #firstworldproblems when millions of people are suffering through any other number of things that are far more serious than whether or not you're getting Krug and caviar, or merely adequate champagne and a mediocre appetizer at 35,000 feet.

There's any number of news stories or volunteer experiences you can read about or do if your head's so inflated that a coach seat on an airplane feels like a violation of the Geneva Conventions. That might be the remedy for your problem. It's pretty valuable to keep that sort of perspective.
Why are you here at flyertalk with your whining about first world probs.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Why are you here at flyertalk with your whining about first world probs.
He's not whining about anything.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The doctor prescribes a round the world trip in coach. Please select middle seats and if possible throw in a few low cost carriers. Post on your return.
This prescription might do a lot of people a world of good.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Airplane food, no matter how good, would never be served at a high-end restaurant.

Seats, no matter how lie-flat, would never be used as a bed in a high-end hotel.

If premium IFE was the bees' knees, then nobody would have a TV larger than 24" at home.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
If airline travel was not preferable, no one would take an 8 hour air conditioned flight in Y over a 30 day ride in a non air conditioned sailing ship, complete with scurvy, to get from New York to Europe. You all feel free to remain in 1714. I’ll take the jet.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:51 am

3. A true sophisticate is able to make him/herself comfortable and cheerful in any situation, and does not tip his gauche hand by complaining loudly about anything save the very bestest best.

Couldn't agree more, well said.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
I personally don't think sitting in a small space for 12 hours is the end of the world.
Different people have different perspectives. If one has a bad back, I assure you it will probably feel like the end of the world by the end of those 12 hours. And when, in addition, you are only flying because you have to be at a business meeting in a few hours after landing to make a presentation, and the person behind you was kicking your seat the whole way because they didn't want you to recline (on an overnight flight!), or the poor person next to you had been traveling for days previous without washing, or there was a belligerent drunk arguing with everyone next to them (all of which I have experienced), then a reasonable person might start thinking that spending a little effort to get upgraded would be a wise idea. And there is also the greater protection of business class in the event of IRROPs (which has saved my agenda more than once) and showers in the arrival lounge.

Sure, 12 hours in economy might not kill you. I did it when I was younger. But if the point of the trip is to meet some business objective, and doing so will make it harder for you to achieve that objective, then you should perhaps reconsider whether that is the best choice.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Artpen100

Sure, 12 hours in economy might not kill you. I did it when I was younger. But if the point of the trip is to meet some business objective, and doing so will make it harder for you to achieve that objective, then you should perhaps reconsider whether that is the best choice.
If flying physically hurts you, perhaps you should not be flying for work.
You should perhaps reconsider whether that line of work is the best choice.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Why, when it is simpler to manage the flying and travel so my back feels fine? Or just to be better rested to give a more coherent presentation a few hours after landing? I don't need to prove that I am tough enough to sit in a chair for 12 hours and give a presentation on no sleep for 24.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If flying physically hurts you, perhaps you should not be flying for work.
You should perhaps reconsider whether that line of work is the best choice.
Flying doesn't physically hurt me. But flying in Coach for 10-15 hours does. So I pay for business. No need to change my line of work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.