Business Class is GARBAGE!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class is GARBAGE!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Thumbs down Business Class is GARBAGE!

Thanks to mileage and points, I have had the pleasure of flying in F on a few routes. ^

They were all fantastic experiences BUT they have spoiled all my future travels. In fact, I can't even stand the idea of flying J, let alone Y anymore.

How horrible is that? I fly in Y quite a lot and the occasional J was always an awesome treat, but I don't feel like that anymore!!!!

I think I need a Doctor…help..

Anyone else having the same experience?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Much depends on the specific airlines and routes/aircraft types. You can find examples of one carrier's business class being better than another's IFC. Also, domestic USA FC is an entirely different situation and tends to be worse than (international or even nonstop transcon) business class on the same airline.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA
I had a pleasure of flying F a couple of times myself, although it was amazing experiences I found it a little overwhelming for myself. I am more comfortable flying J.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1.97MM
I understand you

i flew Etihad F (award), what an amazing experience..
Business Class on AA seems different now, but i still buy the cheapest Y ticket and try to upgrade because i can't afford J
At the end of the day, i am VERY happy to fly J on a upgraded ticket
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Much depends on the specific airlines and routes/aircraft types. You can find examples of one carrier's business class being better than another's IFC. Also, domestic USA FC is an entirely different situation and tends to be worse than (international or even nonstop transcon) business class on the same airline.
Yeah, I agree. I was just talking about the big boys out there who are famous for their FC.

Originally Posted by GIGMIACDG
i flew Etihad F (award), what an amazing experience..
Business Class on AA seems different now, but i still buy the cheapest Y ticket and try to upgrade because i can't afford J
At the end of the day, i am VERY happy to fly J on a upgraded ticket
Etihad F is one of my goals. I still have many F cabins on my bucket list.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Oct 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AA
A little dignity and personal space is a nice thing (tho some business seating still requires contortionist skills to climb over your slumbering seatmate). The theater of white tablecloths one could live without, and it ain't hard to note the incidence of alcohol abuse (gettin' their moneys worth) and snotty privilege among the regular international bidness crowd. Before stumbling into the ff miles games, I often pondered how any rational person would pay the "per cookie" cost of a little wider seat and a koupla warm cookies on domestic tix at 3x the price of back of the bus. Yes, I've flown Cathay long haul in First and it was nice ... better than coach -- yes yes yes.

But if it's such a great experience, why does everyone sleep through it? Just sayin' :-)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:20 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
agreed, cant even fathom going back to J... and abs dread Y when I have to fly it... some of my most common routes are US to EU and often have to fly BA... their CW/J is a joke and a half. I mean back in the day I used to *aspire* to CW or even Prem Econ for the hell of it from reg ol' Y... but now cant stand to go back to CW... cause I do believe even BA's NF is more or less comparable to J on some of the best intl airlines around.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Recently flew Qatar business and felt it was near the same league but FAR less intimate as the usual CX/SQ first. I'd still pay a few more miles for first, but would happily fly Qatar in business again...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Once you have flown on a private Jet, F won't be the same either ;-)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:53 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Am i the only one who still enjoys coach ( for the people) even though i fly F and J often
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Am i the only one who still enjoys coach ( for the people) even though i fly F and J often

Probably!!

What do you mean by 'for the people'? What's so special about them? I still can see them ad nauseam every day on the subway....
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA
"for the people" ... international flights often have an air of excitement and buzz in coach, kinda cool to watch the kids, etc. Up front? A lot of studied, droll stone faces, waiting for the drink cart to come around.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by wandering_persian
I can't even stand the idea of flying J, let alone Y anymore.

Anyone else having the same experience?
No.

Originally Posted by FTRox87
cant even fathom going back to J... and abs dread Y when I have to fly it... often have to fly BA... their CW/J is a joke and a half. I mean back in the day I used to *aspire* to CW or even Prem Econ for the hell of it from reg ol' Y... but now cant stand to go back to CW...
1. It sounds thoroughly silly to claim you "can't stand" to fly a service nicer and more commodious than what 95 percent of international passengers seem to survive every day. [redacted]

2. People who claim today's business class services repulse them have no sense of history. Most are far more lavish than F class was a generation ago. Lie-flat beds did not exist until recently. British Airways 747 F cabins in the 1970s and '80s offered only big reclining armchairs and were considered most luxurious. They did not cripple people like David Frost who flew them every week. Had the complainers about today's J attempted to fly long distances a couple of decades ago or more, they presumably would have died en route. They would also no doubt have dismissed Concorde, whose one-size seats were essentially economy class-sized.

3. A true sophisticate is able to make him/herself comfortable and cheerful in any situation, and does not tip his gauche hand by complaining loudly about anything save the very bestest best.

International F is a fine adventure which I admit to have enjoyed, but I certainly hope it hasn't made me permanently ridiculous. When in economy I will not wilt, fulminate, scoff, mock, whine, grumble or whimper, remembering that, taking the whole world into account, I am comparatively extremely lucky to be on the plane at all. YMMV.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Oct 8, 2014 at 9:53 pm Reason: Unnecessarily personal
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:31 pm

Everything is Amazing and Nobody is Happy - Louis C.K. [excerpt]:
… people come back from flights and they tell you their story and it's like a horror story. It's, they act like their flight was like a cattle car in the 40's in Germany. (yeah) That's how bad they make it sound (right). They're like it was the worst day of my life. First of all we didn't board for 20 minutes (right) and then we get on the plane and they made us sit there on the runway for 40 minutes. We had to sit there. Oh really, what happened next? Did you fly through the air incredibly like a bird? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight, you non-contributing zero? Wow, you're flying! It's amazing! Everybody on every plane should just constantly be going, oh my God, wow (yes) you're flying, you're, you're sitting in a chair in the sky (yes, yeah, yeah) but it doesn't go back a lot. And it smells really. You know, here's the thing. People like they say there's delays on flights (yeah) delays really New York to California in 5 hours. That used to take 30 years to do that and a bunch of you would die on the way there and have a baby. You'd be with a whole different group of people by the time you got there. …
Video with transcript:
http://www.beholders.org/good-news/s...ranscript.html

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Oct 8, 2014 at 10:01 pm Reason: Clarified quoted material and attribution
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
@ Noamaan: That is the great Louis C.K., and I thank you for digging up that link because his words were actually ringing in my ears as I wrote the post above, but you left out arguably his most relevant sentence:

"Now we live in, in an amazing, amazing world and it's wasted on the, on the crappiest generation of just spoiled idiots that don't care, because, this is what people are like now."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.