Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class is GARBAGE!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by noamaan
Oh really, what happened next? Did you fly through the air incredibly like a bird? . . . Wow, you're flying! It's amazing! Everybody on every plane should just constantly be going, oh my God, wow (yes) you're flying, you're, you're sitting in a chair in the sky (yes, yeah, yeah)
I agree. In December, 2003, 100 years to the minute after the Wright Brother’s first flight, I was at 35,000 feet in air conditioned comfort with a drink in my hand, halfway across the Atlantic in a Northwest jumbo jet. I was probably the only one on the jet thinking “My gosh how far we have come in 100 years.”

And remember: F, J and Y seats take off and land at the same time.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I agree. In December, 2003, 100 years to the minute after the Wright Brother’s first flight, I was at 35,000 feet in air conditioned comfort with a drink in my hand, halfway across the Atlantic in a Northwest jumbo jet. I was probably the only one on the jet thinking “My gosh how far we have come in 100 years.”

Unless you crash or something, Y lands first. Every time.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wandering_persian
Thanks to mileage and points, I have had the pleasure of flying in F on a few routes. …
In spite of the introductory line, this topic has little-to-nothing to do with miles and points or cross-program awards. Please continue the discussion here in the TravelBuzz forum, with a reminder to please keep things friendly and civil.

Thanks all!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wandering_persian
Thanks to mileage and points, I have had the pleasure of flying in F on a few routes. ^

They were all fantastic experiences BUT they have spoiled all my future travels. In fact, I can't even stand the idea of flying J, let alone Y anymore.

How horrible is that? I fly in Y quite a lot and the occasional J was always an awesome treat, but I don't feel like that anymore!!!!

I think I need a Doctor…help..

Anyone else having the same experience?
When I was a lad, coach was fine. Started flying for work and in business class all the time, coach became unbearable. Gained some status with the airlines, got upgraded to first more often than not, now I'm annoyed if I'm stuck in business class.

That's the way we humans are.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
When I was a lad, coach was fine. Started flying for work and in business class all the time, coach became unbearable. Gained some status with the airlines, got upgraded to first more often than not, now I'm annoyed if I'm stuck in business class.

That's the way we humans are.
....and whenever you make that step up, it's always so exciting that you wouldn't want to miss a moment... however after you're used to that J class or F class hardware and service, you won't really bother anymore....
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Yep. I'm having the same thoughts. I think I now need Etihad's The Residence.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Yup. Sometimes it kind of hits me, thinking about the day before my boss asked me if I wanted to get on the International merry-go-round rather than sitting in a California office all day. The long flights. Sleeper seats on the plane. 5 star hotels. Limos picking me up at the airport. Passports getting filled up over and over again. It's not the Ozzie and Harriet life I had been planning on.

Originally Posted by LuisHK
....and whenever you make that step up, it's always so exciting that you wouldn't want to miss a moment... however after you're used to that J class or F class hardware and service, you won't really bother anymore....
I remember taking pictures of the seat the first time I was in Business Class so I could show all my friends what a VIP I was.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
No.

1. It sounds thoroughly silly to claim you "can't stand" to fly a service nicer and more commodious than what 95 percent of international passengers seem to survive every day. [redacted]

2. People who claim today's business class services repulse them have no sense of history. Most are far more lavish than F class was a generation ago. Lie-flat beds did not exist until recently. British Airways 747 F cabins in the 1970s and '80s offered only big reclining armchairs and were considered most luxurious. They did not cripple people like David Frost who flew them every week. Had the complainers about today's J attempted to fly long distances a couple of decades ago or more, they presumably would have died en route. They would also no doubt have dismissed Concorde, whose one-size seats were essentially economy class-sized.

3. A true sophisticate is able to make him/herself comfortable and cheerful in any situation, and does not tip his gauche hand by complaining loudly about anything save the very bestest best.

International F is a fine adventure which I admit to have enjoyed, but I certainly hope it hasn't made me permanently ridiculous. When in economy I will not wilt, fulminate, scoff, mock, whine, grumble or whimper, remembering that, taking the whole world into account, I am comparatively extremely lucky to be on the plane at all. YMMV.
^
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:00 am

2. People who claim today's business class services repulse them have no sense of history. Most k. Had the complainers about today's J attempted to fly long distances a couple of decades ago or more, they presumably would have died en route. They would also no doubt have dismissed Concorde, whose one-size seats were essentially economy class-sized.

3. A yr
International F is .[/QUOTE]

I have pretended that I was flying aboard a Concorde instead of a Canadair RJ!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Seems like a First World problem...."I cannot fly Business Class, it MUST be F I R S T."

While I get to spend some time in Business, but most time in Economy, when I travel, I'm just grateful I get the opportunity to do so.

Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
But in many cases, J exits the plane first and therefore gets through immigration first.

Whenever I'm searching for a long-haul award, I look for J first. That's my favorite award. Then F if I can't find J, and finally Y if I'm flying an alliance where I have at least a mid-tier status.

And contrary to most of FT, I like older-style barcalounger J seats better than the little lie-flat coffins.

My disclaimer here is that when I search for awards with my existing *A and OW miles, I tend to see a lot more UA, AA, US, AC, etc. availability than anything else. If I ran a query and saw a lot of CX, SQ, LH, LX, etc. F availability on my exact dates/routes, I have to admit I'd be rethinking my approach.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by pinniped
And contrary to most of FT, I like older-style barcalounger J seats better than the little lie-flat coffins.
That makes at least two of us then -- my favorite J seat was the BA "cradle seat" from the 1990s, followed by the CX reclining seats from the 2000s. I don't sleep much inflight (I like to stay up and watch movies) and the whole flat-bed fetish is much overplayed in my book.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:23 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinniped
But in many cases, J exits the plane first and therefore gets through immigration first.
...assuming that those in Y aren't running, and that there are no other people in the immigration queue ahead.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:08 am

Yeah, I agree - my company bought me a business class ticket on SAS to CPH a few weeks ago and that curtain separating us from Economy was great! Other than the curtain I would have been hard pressed to spot the difference - they don't even block the middle seats.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
A true sophisticate is able to make him/herself comfortable and cheerful in any situation, and does not tip his gauche hand by complaining loudly about anything save the very bestest best.
Somebody ought to put this on the FT luggage tags.

Or at least make a bumper sticker out of it.

The most succinct bit of common sense I've seen in a long time. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.