Do you tip housekeeping for turndown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you tip housekeeping for turndown?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zerolife
Actually neither Vietnam nor Thailand has a tipping culture. While workers in the service industry aren't living in luxury, they make enough to support themselves as well as being able to send some money home to their parents.
The tourist industry in Thailand definitely has a tipping culture. Didn't used to be that way, but Westerners tipped so often that now it's considered normal.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satman40
Do you really know how many hours a maid works, and how hard it is.
Nope, neither do I care. They are employees of the hotel, and should be paid appropriately. I don't think you disagree, just had to throw it out there.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm curious: I always tip housekeeping for the morning cleaning work, but I never leave a tip for turndown service (and am reconsidering). Is this common? Do you:

Tip for
a) both morning cleaning and turndown
b) neither morning cleaning nor turndown
c) only morning cleaning
d) only turndown
Absolutely NOT - Seems to me that the absorbent cost of the room should include cleaning and similar. This tip the housekeeper is a bunch of CRAP. You pay for and should expect a clean room. If the hotel is not paying the housekeepers a decent wage it is not your responsibility to plus it up
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I only tip for morning cleaning in Canada/US, never for turndown. However I rarely stay in turndown service hotels. I also never leave a big mess. For short stays of 1-2 nights I also prefer to leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Nope, neither do I care. They are employees of the hotel, and should be paid appropriately. I don't think you disagree, just had to throw it out there.
Agree. The onus shouldn't be on the customer to ensure their income is adequate.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The tourist industry in Thailand definitely has a tipping culture. Didn't used to be that way, but Westerners tipped so often that now it's considered normal.
This may be true for the more touristy areas such as Phuket and I wouldn't be surprised if they start asking for tips if they sense that you are coming from countries with tipping culture. When I visited a few friends in Thailand, they definitive didn't tip when we eat out.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hopefully it stays that way. This tipping for everything is such nonsense. Pretty soon we'll be tipping cashiers at checkout because they smiled and said thank you. Or more to the point, we'll start paying more on Amazon.com because the website was so friendly and the overworked warehouse guys could probably use a few extra bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.