FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Do you tip housekeeping for turndown? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1614455-do-you-tip-housekeeping-turndown.html)

SFOPhD Sep 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Do you tip housekeeping for turndown?

I'm curious: I always tip housekeeping for the morning cleaning work, but I never leave a tip for turndown service (and am reconsidering). Is this common? Do you:

Tip for
a) both morning cleaning and turndown
b) neither morning cleaning nor turndown
c) only morning cleaning
d) only turndown

CitizenWorld Sep 21, 2014 12:41 am

Neither.

Bigfeet Sep 21, 2014 1:39 am

I don't either - it's unheard of here in Europe. But I'd read about it in online travel sites, so I checked with a US colleague when I was over there for the first time in a while. He told me not to, so I still don't.

Polomarc Sep 21, 2014 2:30 am

In Cuba, the housekeeper left us a note after 4 days she was going on holiday. Her way to point out that we should give her a tip.

LondonElite Sep 21, 2014 2:54 am

None of the above. Tipping is completely out of control.

SheBangsTheDrums Sep 21, 2014 2:55 am

Agree, dont tip housekeeping at all.

cbn42 Sep 21, 2014 3:00 am

I almost never tip housekeeping. The exception would be if there is a huge mess in the room for some reason.

Actually, I usually decline housekeeping for short stays.

valdor Sep 21, 2014 3:18 am

I never tip in hotels, I pay for my room and that's it.

Annalisa12 Sep 21, 2014 3:31 am

I tip each day in case there are different staff on.

In some of the countries I visit wages are so low so a few bucks to thank someone working their butt off, I think, is the right thing to do.

hco Sep 21, 2014 3:54 am

Never tip. Unless I have made an exceptional mess.

lukew Sep 21, 2014 4:05 am

I leave a tip for housekeeping each day, in the morning.

mike2200 Sep 21, 2014 8:40 am

I tip for service requested and provided.

ysolde Sep 21, 2014 8:53 am

I leave a tip each day in the US and LatAm, and give a small tip if a special service is requested (e.g., extra towels brought in). In Europe, I generally do not tip housekeeping.

I am not one to leave a mess in the room, so that is not an issue.

Tchiowa Sep 21, 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD (Post 23557813)
I'm curious: I always tip housekeeping for the morning cleaning work, but I never leave a tip for turndown service (and am reconsidering). Is this common? Do you:

Tip for
a) both morning cleaning and turndown
b) neither morning cleaning nor turndown
c) only morning cleaning
d) only turndown

I almost never tip housekeeping. Only exceptions are if something requires extra service (we made a huge mess or someone was sick or something). But I can make my own bed.

Efrem Sep 21, 2014 9:53 am

If I leave a tip, which I sometimes do at very small places, it's one tip for the stay. No way to indicate if it's for cleaning the room, turning down the bed, giving me a new bottle of shampoo or any other specific aspect of the service.