Longest trip home (w/connections)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest trip home (w/connections)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Around Christmas time it'll be HDS-JNB-FRA-LAX-MRY which will be 11,665miles/18,772km with about 34 hours of travel. SA JNB-FRA & LH FRA-LAX are in J.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Not exotic or crazy, but I was recently booked on a DUB-PER flight which took me; DUB-DXB-SYD-PER in Y. Ended up wasting an extra 12++ hours overshooting PER, just to get on a flight to take me back where I had just come from!!! Never again.

SPN-ICN-BKK-PER was also another interesting way to get home; given the remoteness of SPN.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Port Noire, Congo to Luanda, Angola to Paris to London to Los Angeles to Concord, CA. Took the longer route because of the flight into Concord, which eventually was cancelled. Then went back to PN, LAD, CDG, JFK, SFO which is still a healthy distance.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tireman77
Hello all.

I will be travelling to PNG in June and noticed that my return flights were a little crazy. Last year, I did ROR-GUM-HNL-ORD-YUL (15,406km/9,606mi) to get home. It was a rough trip, especially since I can't really sleep on planes, even in J. In June, I'll be doing HKN-POM-BNE-AKL-YVR-YUL which is 19,970km (12,409 mi).

I figure there must be a ton of horror stories out there so I'm throwing out to you: What's you're worst return trip home. I'll set a 12 hour layover limit, as anything longer could be considered a stopover.
Just out of curiousity, why not take the flight from Moresby to Cairns which opens up all kinds of easier options with SQ? I've done that a dozen times.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Not a flight but a few years ago I went on a road trip across the US and a few days before the end of the summer break (I was 18) I saw an ad for a discounted travel pass on Greyhound and decided that it would be fun to go across the entire country instead of flying so I bought the pass and went from Los Angeles to Montreal in one go. It took days but ended up being a lot of fun as I met so many cool people and saw a lot of scenary and at 18 you don't really need much sleep anyway!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Just out of curiousity, why not take the flight from Moresby to Cairns which opens up all kinds of easier options with SQ? I've done that a dozen times.
Huh? SQ doesn't fly to CNS (or Canada for that matter).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Huh? SQ doesn't fly to CNS (or Canada for that matter).
Australia you mean?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:43 am
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
FYI, I've already flown this route.

Indeed, I don't believe SQ flies to CNS. And CNS does not have many international destinations. I know Jetstar flies to NRT and UA to Guam. NZ to AKL, but that's a 320 with no J. BNE seemed to be the best choice to get to POM and limit the use of PX. The most logical flight would have been PX POM-NRT, but I'm not a fan of PX so I passed on that one.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by valdor
Australia you mean?
No I meant Canada. The OP was travelling to Canada and the poster I responded to suggested routing via CNS in order to take SQ.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: DL,EK
WLG-PMR-AKL-SYD-DXB-KWI-PRG (11,941 miles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.