FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Longest trip home (w/connections) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1571474-longest-trip-home-w-connections.html)

PLeblond Apr 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Longest trip home (w/connections)

Hello all.

I will be travelling to PNG in June and noticed that my return flights were a little crazy. Last year, I did ROR-GUM-HNL-ORD-YUL (15,406km/9,606mi) to get home. It was a rough trip, especially since I can't really sleep on planes, even in J. In June, I'll be doing HKN-POM-BNE-AKL-YVR-YUL which is 19,970km (12,409 mi).

I figure there must be a ton of horror stories out there so I'm throwing out to you: What's you're worst return trip home. I'll set a 12 hour layover limit, as anything longer could be considered a stopover.

Venabili Apr 23, 2014 5:18 pm

HNL-LAX-MUC-SOF (9204 miles/14810 km) is my personal record from the days I lived in Europe. Economy all the way through (plus MUC-SOF got canceled and getting a new flight on the 23rd of December out of MUC in a bad weather is not the easiest thing).

Almost no layovers - something like 3 hours in LAX and 2 in MUC (that turned into 26 or thereabouts)

rafi2k6 Apr 23, 2014 5:51 pm

when I was in Yeshiva (rabbinical college) in Israel I would fly home to YUL a few times during the year for the holidays, anyways here's what my itinerary for a 2004 flight home for Passover looked like:

TLV-FRA-LAX-DEN-EWR-YUL took 24hrs:15mins!
I could have taken ELAL non stop to YYZ and then hop on a Tango (remember that? ) but I told my father to book me the "Meshuginer flight" instead. ahhhh, the memories.

BuildingMyBento Apr 24, 2014 12:11 am

BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK-IAD, the day before I started college.

PLeblond Apr 24, 2014 5:03 am

Originally Posted by rafi2k6 (Post 22750486)
when I was in Yeshiva (rabbinical college) in Israel I would fly home to YUL a few times during the year for the holidays, anyways here's what my itinerary for a 2004 flight home for Passover looked like:

I could have taken ELAL non stop to YYZ and then hop on a Tango (remember that? ) but I told my father to book me the "Meshuginer flight" instead. ahhhh, the memories.

That routing must have been using points or something. Otherwise why detour via LAX?

stut Apr 24, 2014 5:19 am

SYD-ITM-DTW-BOS-LGW - all in Y on NW. A rather painful 15k miles.

WillTravel4Food Apr 24, 2014 5:21 am

Originally Posted by rafi2k6 (Post 22750486)

By FT standards your father is a genius. The only horror in this story would be if you didn't bank them in a FF program.

florin Apr 24, 2014 5:43 am

Does it have to be home?

I've flown OGG-HNL-PDX-LAX-CDG-OTP (10360 miles, according to GCM).

PLeblond Apr 24, 2014 5:47 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 22752614)
Does it have to be home?

No, I would think not.

PLeblond Apr 24, 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 22752529)
SYD-ITM-DTW-BOS-LGW - all in Y on NW. A rather painful 15k miles.

Crossing both oceans. Ouff.

qmiro Apr 24, 2014 6:08 am

When I was in college, and before I became American, I flew MSP-AMS-CAI with KLM in Y of course. Twelve hour layover in AMS. Couldn't leave the airport as I had no visa. Long before I knew about lounge access etc. A very long layover. I know AMS inside out. Funny thing it hasn't changed much in 16 years.

L1011toHNL Apr 24, 2014 6:10 am

My personal best was DCA-JFK-YVR-HKG-PEK-WUS (11,145 miles). Thankfully the middle segments were in CX J, but still seemed endless!

gooselee Apr 24, 2014 6:47 am

ATL-CDG-BLR-CCU, then back through BOM.

The return wasn't too bad, but outbound was nearly 24 hrs due to a 7 hour layover. To make things worse, the layover was in BLR overnight, where you're not even allowed into the domestic terminal until 2-3 hrs before your flight. I was thinking I'd be in a lounge but instead was literally waiting on the curb for 4 hours.

Lockz Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

For me it was DPS-HKG-SFO-JFK-BWI (11833 mi). Was supposed to have a three day stopover in SFO, but changed it to an overnight so I could get home sooner. Landed in SFO at 9:14pm, flew out at 6:58am so less than 12 hour connection, and left my camera with trip pics in the hotel room sadly.

mickeydfly13 Apr 24, 2014 7:40 am

Ord-mke. Lol.