Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Photo ID craze: We need reciprocity!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Photo ID craze: We need reciprocity!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:34 am

Just because I (you) don't know the reasons behind a requirement doesn't mean that there are no valid reasons.

In some cases there may be a reason for some, but not all, transactions to require an ID check. In order to not require the employee know all the niceties of the rules, it may be easier to request it for all transactions.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by beta1607
I believe it is against AMEX T&C for the merchant to ask for ID with the exception of purchasing age restricted items such as alcohol and tobacco.
I can't find the AMEX merchant agreement online, but here is a quote from Visa:
"When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID except in the specific circumstances discussed in this guide, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot as part of their regular card acceptance procedures refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID." -Page 34
Source (pdf): http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...-merchants.pdf

The only time a merchant can require ID is if the card is unsigned. Of course, age-restricted items require ID, regardless of the payment type.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ls17031
Can't think of any Canadian airlines that don't check at least once. Can you provide some examples of those that do not?
BA, when flying domestic and without hold luggage.

In fact, if flying, say GLA-LHR, I can pass through security without showing ID (it's never required at this stage at UK airports); buy lots of things at the airport with my credit card without showing ID (it's never required for routine transactions in the UK); board the plane without showing ID (if the airline demands it, it is for commercial reasons, as described upthread, BA does not); land in LHR, check-in to my hotel without showing ID (never required in the UK); go out for a drink without showing my ID (bar staff are allowed to have a bit of common sense).

Actually genuinely struggling to think of an occasion in day to day life here when I need to show ID...
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

In fact, if flying, say GLA-LHR, I can pass through security without showing ID (it's never required at this stage at UK airports); buy lots of things at the airport with my credit card without showing ID (it's never required for routine transactions in the UK); board the plane without showing ID (if the airline demands it, it is for commercial reasons, as described upthread, BA does not); land in LHR, check-in to my hotel without showing ID (never required in the UK); go out for a drink without showing my ID (bar staff are allowed to have a bit of common sense).

Actually genuinely struggling to think of an occasion in day to day life here when I need to show ID...
Yeah but you can't walk down Sauchiehall St without appearing about 50 times on CCTV.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Sopwith
All I ask is for a little common sense and logic. Is that too much?
Sadly, common sense isn't very common.

I'm with on this topic though, all too often it seems photo ID is requested just as a matter of course for completing a transaction.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
For places requiring ID to use a credit card, just pay cash.
I just leave my stuff at the cash, walk out and never go back. There are many options to making purchases, I like to make mine where hassles are kept to a minimum.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by jaysona
I just leave my stuff at the cash, walk out and never go back. There are many options to making purchases, I like to make mine where hassles are kept to a minimum.
I'd like to do that in US bars where they ask middle-aged folk like me & my wife for ID, but it's a long walk to Mexico.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

I've flown many times on commercial flights amongst Sweden/Denmark/Norway and also between those countries and Germany where I and my travel party didn't show photo ID to anyone. And my travel party frequently includes people whose native national and ethnic backgrounds are quite distant from Europe.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:40 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Although not mentioned (unless I missed it) retailers might ask for ID if the card isn't signed, is signed but the signature is worn to the point of not recognizing it, or the signatures don't match.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Originally Posted by Rock Harders
The part about having to show ID in Argentina to pay cash for purchases is complete misinformation. Cash transactions over a certain amount (1500 ARS I believe) will prompt a cashier to ask for a CUIL/CUIT which is a taxpayer ID number. A bottle of water costs between 10-20 ARS in a pharmacy.
The part about having to show ID to spend cash in many South American countries is also misinformation. I've spent cash in most South American countries, and ID is rarely required to spend cash at retail stores.

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Keep in mind that showing ID at hotels is required by law in most countries (especially Europe.) It's registered with the police and is part of the immigration system they have set up.
I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in Europe and checked in without photo ID.
Really? It is required by law that you present a passport or EU ID card. They are required to register your stay with the police.

(Except the UK, but that's not Europe.)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
For places requiring ID to use a credit card, just pay cash.
A better idea is to walk out of the store. Hit them in the bottom line, where it hurts.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Perhaps somewhat OT but analogous in terms of reciprocity is the tendering of large ($50, $100) Federal Reserve notes in the US.

In many cases when you pay with a large note the employee, in order to avoid acceptance of counterfeit currency, will hold it up to a light in order to see certain features, such as embedded fibers. When receiving your change, have you considered reciprocating? Namely, holding up to a light the currency you received as change for your purchase, in order to protect yourself.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by djs
Although not mentioned (unless I missed it) retailers might ask for ID if the card isn't signed, is signed but the signature is worn to the point of not recognizing it, or the signatures don't match.
I do not sign my credit cards. I put my initials on them and then put a big line through the rest. Even with that I rarely get asked for my ID.

Originally Posted by mandolino
I'd like to do that in US bars where they ask middle-aged folk like me & my wife for ID, but it's a long walk to Mexico.
In Oootah where I live, they are pretty card much everyone regardless of age.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 31, 2014 at 11:19 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Really? It is required by law that you present a passport or EU ID card. They are required to register your stay with the police.

(Except the UK, but that's not Europe.)
That's far from being generally true, for every EU country is different. And the UK is in Europe and in the EU.

I have stayed at three European hotels in two EU countries just this past week alone and no photo ID has been requested of me. I have many dozens of hotel nights each year in Europe, for many years, and a huge proportion of my stays don't legally require any hotel registration of my stay and ID details with the local or national LEOs/immigration/customs.
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Perhaps somewhat OT but analogous in terms of reciprocity is the tendering of large ($50, $100) Federal Reserve notes in the US.

In many cases when you pay with a large note the employee, in order to avoid acceptance of counterfeit currency, will hold it up to a light in order to see certain features, such as embedded fibers. When receiving your change, have you considered reciprocating? Namely, holding up to a light the currency you received as change for your purchase, in order to protect yourself.
I got passed a bad note in Sweden earlier this month when a restaurant gave me back change. I should have noticed something was up when the 50SEK note had no metallic strip -- but then again I only pay attention to that on large notes. Maybe people should ask cute restaurant workers for government-issued photo ID when they give us change.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 30, 2014 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

"All I ask is for a little common sense and logic. Is that too much?"

LOL, have you never heard the saying, 'If common sense were indeed common, that is a majority had it, then the term common sense would not need to exist.'

As for logic, that's similar, there are a lot of people who are not logical in their thinking at all. Don't forget, the average IQ is 100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.