Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Transferring money

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Paypal is absolutely the last option I would choose. Transferwise seems to have the lead at the moment and the transfers are quick.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
With EUR transfers I would like to point out that any transfers in EUR between two EU bank accounts is only allowed to be charged like a domestic transfer, which usually means like a 10-20p fee. However, this doesn't get around the problem if your bank screws you on the exchange rate (which unfortunately UK banks tend to do). One option is to have a UK EUR account if you get better exchange rates transferring between your own accounts.

Personally I find cash to be the best way, I usually exchange privately and get 0.3-0.5% below the mid-market exchange, and my bank (non-UK) likes to charge about 0.5-0.8% and a transaction fee of 15p.

My UK bank account I avoid using for foreign transfers - I rather withdraw cash and convert into EUR or whatever currency I'm in need of that I can then deposit into my account in that currency.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by skba1
With EUR transfers I would like to point out that any transfers in EUR between two EU bank accounts is only allowed to be charged like a domestic transfer, which usually means like a 10-20p fee. However, this doesn't get around the problem if your bank screws you on the exchange rate (which unfortunately UK banks tend to do). One option is to have a UK EUR account if you get better exchange rates transferring between your own accounts.
Hence why Transferwise is best. In layman's terms (as far as I understand it) you deposit GBP in their GBP account, they then send you EUR from their EUR account. Therefore, the banks don't have a chance to make their own conversion as the money is arriving 'domestically'.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
^ Thanks everyone - I guess I have some comparative spreadsheets to set up over the weekend once I will have recovered from Friday's FT do in London.
As mentioned above fxcompared.com will do the initial leg work for you as they compare rates across a number of providers and also factor in costs. However, I don't think the rates are live - merely indicative.

I've used TransferWise and The FX Firm recently for GBP to USD transfers.

The TransferWise rate was better but after factoring in their charges there was little difference from other firms. The money took a bit longer to arrive with Transferwise.

Hope this is of some help.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another thought would be to use a credit card that doesn't have any foreign transaction fee, she uses it there, you pay the bill when it comes in. If you have one that gives you miles or points, that is a bonus. I deal in a couple of currencies, and given we are talking day to day, the effort of wire transfer just seems excessive when I can just use a different colour credit card as and when.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
Another thought would be to use a credit card that doesn't have any foreign transaction fee, she uses it there, you pay the bill when it comes in. If you have one that gives you miles or points, that is a bonus. I deal in a couple of currencies, and given we are talking day to day, the effort of wire transfer just seems excessive when I can just use a different colour credit card as and when.
I personally would not do this if migrating as the balance would depend on the FX rate and you would be paid in the destination currency.
Keep in mind that the credit card benefits are not as strong in the UK as they are in the USA.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I personally would not do this if migrating as the balance would depend on the FX rate and you would be paid in the destination currency.
Keep in mind that the credit card benefits are not as strong in the UK as they are in the USA.
Sorry, my response was to BBA, whose wife is going to be the one overseas. Rather than sending money, wire transfer fees, etc. it might just be easier for her to use a card over there that he pays off.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Englishlee0710
I know that this has nothing to with BA and mods feel free to move this thread elsewhere, but I just wondered if any of the luminaries on the BA board (which is the only board I post on) has used UKForex or a similar organisation to transfer money back to the UK.

I have a chunk of money I need to repatriate from Canada and the bank rates are pretty poor and was looking for reliable alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

[Mod note: Thread has been moved from the BA forum.
LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum]
Have you considered using PayPal to make the transfers? They have proved to be quite reliable for some time now
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by sharp_44
Have you considered using PayPal to make the transfers? They have proved to be quite reliable for some time now
That question was from 7 years ago. That said PayPal is expensive. TransferWise or something similar is far more efficient.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
That question was from 7 years ago. That said PayPal is expensive. TransferWise or something similar is far more efficient.
Ok thanks. I think I will try TransferWise myself
golfmad likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
And a very warm welcome to FlyerTalk sharp_44.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:36 pm

when I needed to send money overseas to my son, I stumbled on this review since I could not use Venmo.

https://transumo.com/venmo-international/
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:27 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hi Sharp_44. Welcome to Flyertalk.

You might also consider Xoom, which is a Paypal feature for international transactions. I use it several times a year.

That said, I'm going to go ahead and close this 11 year old, bumped thread. Please feel free to restart the topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.