Preserving one's right to exit the plane in one's turn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere

Let me say first that I don't always jump up and try to rush off the plane. I remember my father telling me as a child, "There's no reason for us to rush to wait." So if I'm not blocking anyone I'll often just keep my seat and let those eager to get off the plane push and shove their way off.

But, there are times when I do wish to get off, and in those cases my view is that exit order should be based on one's row. In other words, the person from 20 rows back trying to push and shove their way forward doesn't have the right to prevent me from standing up and entering the aisle to exit.

My brother spied such a woman on a recent flight and decided he wasn't going to allow her to push her way in front of him and his wife. So he just pressed the little lever on the aisle armrest, which allowed it to raise up, and turned and put his knees in the aisle. Then when enough space cleared he motioned for his wife to exit the plane and he joined her. The pushy-shovey woman was fuming.

I have to say I kind of like the knees in the aisle technique.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:48 pm

Probably not the right place for this thread, but I do agree with you. You should wait until its your turn to exit. I always try to get in the way of impatient people.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

If they're desperate, let them go. If you're desperate, don't.
They may have an urgent connection or be rushing to a dying relatives bedside. Or they might just be a pillock.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt
This really annoys me, especially on flights that were not delayed.

The people that do this, I assume, are also the same people that get on the plane early in the boarding process and put their bags in the overhead bins in the first few rows of coach, while they hold seat assignments in the rear of coach.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Wrong forum but appropriate posting.
I'm going there -
The worst are the families and elderly as don't mind a eager Betty as long as she is fast and in a rush.

Selfish parents with little kids and tons of overhead luggage block other passengers from getting off the plane and block the jetway waiting for their carriage. Are they so inconsiderate to realize a business traveler has someplace to go whereas little Suzy walks slow, talking, half asleep and I wish to hit her with my roller bag because I can't get around her but it would be considered rude on my part. WAIT UNTIL REST OF PSGS DEPLANE

Next, elderly/handicap - PLEASE SIT ON THE PLANE until everyone else is off! You are waiting for a wheelchair or using a cane which should automatically put you last deboarding the plane.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:26 pm

get over yourself - your middle-management meeting isn't that important.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
The worst are the families and elderly as don't mind a eager Betty as long as she is fast and in a rush.

Selfish parents with little kids and tons of overhead luggage block other passengers from getting off the plane and block the jetway waiting for their carriage. Are they so inconsiderate to realize a business traveler has someplace to go whereas little Suzy walks slow, talking, half asleep and I wish to hit her with my roller bag because I can't get around her but it would be considered rude on my part. WAIT UNTIL REST OF PSGS DEPLANE

Next, elderly/handicap - PLEASE SIT ON THE PLANE until everyone else is off! You are waiting for a wheelchair or using a cane which should automatically put you last deboarding the plane.

Your business = your problem, not mine. I exit after the row ahead of me exits, and yes, I do walk slowly.

BTW, if you're considering hitting a child on the plane/jetway, I suggest you read this story first.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
If they're desperate, let them go. If you're desperate, don't.
They may have an urgent connection or be rushing to a dying relatives bedside. Or they might just be a pillock.
^ this.

If they're hustling to get out, unless you're equally as "ready to move" down the aisle as they are - what does it harm you if they go past?
Same as at the security scanner queue, if you're ready, and the person in front isn't - you skip ahead.

I hate the ones that get up, wait until it is their turn to exit, THEN decide to get their bag; their kids' bags; Granny's bags; have you got the kids bags? did little tommy put anything in the seatpockets? kids, check the seat pockets? kids? <parent> check the seat pockets again
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
My brother spied such a woman on a recent flight and decided he wasn't going to allow her to push her way in front of him and his wife. So he just pressed the little lever on the aisle armrest, which allowed it to raise up, and turned and put his knees in the aisle. Then when enough space cleared he motioned for his wife to exit the plane and he joined her. The pushy-shovey woman was fuming.

I have to say I kind of like the knees in the aisle technique.
So you think your brother did the right thing? What exactly did he accomplish, other than showing everyone that he can be as big a d**k as the lady? This is why our prisons are full - people with poor judgment and conflict resolution skills, who escalate situations needlessly, just to prove they are tough.

What would brother have done had she stepped over his legs? Try to trip her intentionally?

No one has a "right" to exit a plane in any particular order. Check the constitution.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
..my view is that exit order should be based on one's row. In other words, the person from 20 rows back trying to push and shove their way forward doesn't have the right to prevent me from standing up and entering the aisle to exit.
nobody should push anyone in their attempt to exit the plane, but it would actually be more efficient if people who are currently standing in the aisle with their bags collected (generally, aisle seat people) simply started walking forward as the aisle clears, rather than standing there waiting for every geriatric, disorganized traveler, and family to clear every row ahead of them first.

With the aisle seat people now clear of the aisle, that frees up more space for the center and window people to gather their things and enter the aisle when they are ready to walk forward.

And yes, I realize that this will never happen, because some people think it's their "right" to get off the plane ahead of everyone else behind them, even if it slows everyone down.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta FO
OMG, people. Like another 10 seconds is really that big of a deal after a 2-5 hour flight? I always figure that people who do this have a really good reason, or are just not aware of flying etiquette. In either case, its not my job to block their exit.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:49 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

If you know ahead of time that you need to shoot off the plane, you make darn sure that you sit as far forward as possible - even if it means having to grab that middle seat.
In Asia with countries that require visa on arrival, you can be faced with a 2hr flight + a one hour queue for your visa (eg CGK).
If it's a connection issue outside of your own doing, I guess you have no other choice but to get to the front. But even then there are two options : excuse yourself when you do so with the reason OR request for a seat further up front with the reason of the delay just prior to landing.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
OMG, people. Like another 10 seconds is really that big of a deal after a 2-5 hour flight? I always figure that people who do this have a really good reason, or are just not aware of flying etiquette. In either case, its not my job to block their exit.
Yes it does. That 10 sec. could mean whether you will miss your connection flight or not.

I move myself into the aisle when all I need is to take my luggage from the overhead bins. That means laptop bag all packed up and jacket put on. I would appreciate if others would do the same.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:00 pm

How bout when you get on the plane toward the end of the line and having to put your carry on luggage in the overhead 10 rows behind you because the ones at the front are already full?

I had this situation on a recent flight and had the dilemma of whether to wait for the entire cabin to clear out to go against the flow to get my bag or to push and shove my way back to get my bag as soon as the seat belt sign went off.

I chose to push and shove my way back, knowing that the reason I had to do it was because those seated toward the back of the plane were responsible for me having to do it by putting their bags up front.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
3 legs today.. and each leg I prefer to wait until most people are off. We gather our belongings and don't feel like we're in a rush keeping everyone delayed behind us.

9 carryon/gate checked items, plus two kids in tow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.