Preserving one's right to exit the plane in one's turn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preserving one's right to exit the plane in one's turn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I'm all for people leaving in an orderly fashion unless they have a tight connection. On a few delayed flights the FA has even made an announcement to let people with connections get out first, so that everyone understands.

I had one unpleasant experience with a young man in the window seat who literally stepped over me. He was much taller than me and lept over in 2 steps before I could even stand up in my aisle seat then pushed past everyone else in the aisle. He definitely unbuckled his seat belt before the light went off. Later on I saw him waiting at the carousel for his baggage while I strolled past with my carry-on only
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
On a flight just landed at ORD last year, I had some old, fat Midwestern woman literally push right past me while I was in the aisle getting my luggage out of the overhead bin. I couldn't believe it. Then, after I recovered my balance, I started again pulling my bag out - and her old, fat Midwestern friend did the same thing - this time pushing me even harder. Everyone around me was stunned - one guy and I made eye contact, and he just said, "that was so wrong!"

So when I get off the plane, I see the women standing bovinely right outside the gate, not walking anywhere, just hanging out. I say to the second woman, who pushed me the hardest, in a polite but firm voice, "For future reference, one exits the plane row by row." She responded that I should go to hell.

My response is not fit for a family website.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by thelark
get over yourself - your middle-management meeting isn't that important.
#owned.
#whataline.
#agreed.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: EK Gold
I tend to just ask people, and it works outstanding. If I'm not connecting myself and I'm in an aisle seat I just wait for the people in a rush to get past, and ask the people in the center and window seat whether they're in a rush to connect. The other way around when I'm in a window seat and in a rush, I just ask people if they could get up so that I can pass. Same for when you're already in the aisle and a family is blocking the way out; just ask them to step aside for a second. It always works, and is much friendlier than "preserving my right" and pushing around other people.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by pittpanther
So you think your brother did the right thing? What exactly did he accomplish, other than showing everyone that he can be as big a d**k as the lady? This is why our prisons are full - people with poor judgment and conflict resolution skills, who escalate situations needlessly, just to prove they are tough.
I hope you see the irony in this statement.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
people just choose to be bothered by too many things these days.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
3 legs today.. and each leg I prefer to wait until most people are off. We gather our belongings and don't feel like we're in a rush keeping everyone delayed behind us.

9 carryon/gate checked items, plus two kids in tow.
You are a role-model.

Towards other comments -
I don't think the middle management meeting is relevant as the folks rushing off the plane (ie. families or elderly) are in no rush whatsoever just feel entitled. I believe row by row is correct exit strategy exception a family (small kids) or elderly/handicap at which point simply allow those in your row to exit and sit back down until the plane clears out.

Every parent will claim their offspring is fast or not disruptive to patterns but it is in comparison to other kids and not fit non-parent adults.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
If you really have a tight connection you can enlist the help of the FA, who may allow you to move forward for the end of the flight. Doesn't always work but I've seen it done multiple times. Otherwise, just chill. And pack up your belongings before descent begins to avoid wasting everyone's time, including your own.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:10 am

The only people to ever actually push me where flight attendants in the TSA security line. One of them even stepped hard on my foot. Sheesh...leave a little earlier for work!

I am usually in an aisle seat. I feel that if I just sit there, when we park at the gate, my seat mate might feel trapped or will think I am just taking my time. I don't know his circumstance and he might get anxious. Once we are at the gate, I stand up out of my seat, take down my backpack from the bin, put it in my seat as I stand there, ready with my coat on. My seat mate then has the extra room to get out his underseat bag, put on his coat, etc. I try to make myself as unobtrusive as possible and stand in a spot where anyone else could get out of their seat, too. I just wait there for my row's turn to exit. Is getting out of your seat like this considered obnoxious?

I am usually connecting in Atlanta and everyone seems to be nervous about missing their connections there.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
The only people to ever actually push me where flight attendants in the TSA security line. One of them even stepped hard on my foot. Sheesh...leave a little earlier for work!

I am usually in an aisle seat. I feel that if I just sit there, when we park at the gate, my seat mate might feel trapped or will think I am just taking my time. I don't know his circumstance and he might get anxious. Once we are at the gate, I stand up out of my seat, take down my backpack from the bin, put it in my seat as I stand there, ready with my coat on. My seat mate then has the extra room to get out his underseat bag, put on his coat, etc. I try to make myself as unobtrusive as possible and stand in a spot where anyone else could get out of their seat, too. I just wait there for my row's turn to exit. Is getting out of your seat like this considered obnoxious?

I am usually connecting in Atlanta and everyone seems to be nervous about missing their connections there.
+1

This is exactly what I do. Only complaint is when people in front of me seem clueless and start getting their act together AFTER the people in front of them are gone. As I'm generally in F, not a huge problem but when in Y it seems to occur often.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
This thread brings back bad memories. Two years ago, flying BCN-JFK-BOS on paid J, the JFK-BOS flight is canceled because of the weather. I get rerouted on JFK-MIA-BOS. The JFK-MIA is full in F and pretty full in Y, but agent is able to get me an exit row towards the middle of the 757 (or 737, can't remember).

Flight is delayed by an hour or so. On descent, a teenage girl seated in the row behind and opposite side of the aisle starts crying. Her grandmother tells me that her granddaughter has a final exam the next day, and that she would have to repeat the course if she misses her connection to Colombia. She then asks if I could let them trough when we land. I said yes, despite having a 35 minute connection myself, even though I knew that most people in front of us would stand up and that one row wouldn't make much of a difference.

We get to the gate, and as predicted, everyone in front of us steps into the aisle. The grandmother is taking her time to get up. I decided to stand up to stretch my legs, but don't step into the aisle (as to let them through). As soon as I stand up, the grandmother starts puffing and complaining to her granddaughter. I thought she was referring to the people ahead of us, but apparently she was talking about me. Next thing I know, the line starts moving and the grandmother punches me right in the groin just before saying "see what you get?"

I crumble right back into my seat as they walk away. The woman next to me offers to call the police, but I decline as I had to catch my connection. I guess the moral of the story is that you can't please all people.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
You are a role-model.

Towards other comments -
I don't think the middle management meeting is relevant as the folks rushing off the plane (ie. families or elderly) are in no rush whatsoever just feel entitled. I believe row by row is correct exit strategy exception a family (small kids) or elderly/handicap at which point simply allow those in your row to exit and sit back down until the plane clears out.

Every parent will claim their offspring is fast or not disruptive to patterns but it is in comparison to other kids and not fit non-parent adults.
To be honest, yesterday's legs I was concerned boarding before the very last of those who were boarding, because we needed overhead space for our 7 carryons. Normally, we just board last anyways and not be concerned of carryons. We did end up boarding last on our very last leg, and we were thankful to be able to board at all. Somehow United lost our ticket electronically even though we had our boarding passes. They went so far as to remove our checked luggage off of the plane. Last second, they found the electronic ticket in their system and we were allowed to board. Our carryons were scattered, but we were thankful being on the plane at all.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:09 am

I'm now one of those parents (only one child, 3 y/o) that brings a boatload of stuff on to the plane. Let me elaborate:

- I can either bring a ton of crap (dolls, ipad, snacks, change of clothes, baby stuff when they're younger), or I (and you) can deal with crying, loud talking, yelling, kicking, etc that comes with a bored / cold / tired / hungry / thirsty / wet / covered-in-puke child.

- Everything I bring on to the plane has some purpose for the actual plane ride. It might be a distraction, it might be a snack, it might be a backup in case the kid spills a drink all over themself. But it's not like those bags are full of sales materials for a conference or things they won't actually use on the plane.

- Which leads me to the last point. Even with all that stuff, we usually take up less space than 3 adults. Since the kid is so short, I can pack some of it under the seat in front of them for easy access. And remember, the kid is entitled to a carry-on bag too (assuming we paid for the seat), even if I'm the one lugging it (and mom's carryon too, assuming she's carrying the kid).

Back to the topic at hand:

- I always either wait until the end of deplaning, or at least until someone far behind me is holding everyone else up, and I can get the three of us out of the row, and get our bags down, without slowing anyone down.

- The slow kid thing is what it is. A lot of times, deplaning, it's impossible to get your stuff plus carry the kid. So the kid has to walk, which is why I try to make sure I'm not in anyone's way.

- I actually think deplaning should effectively work aisle seats first, then middle, then window. It would be far more efficient. However, few people actually do that.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:54 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
So, you would say that someone in the last row aisle should deplane before someone in second row window? That makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Reisen
- I actually think deplaning should effectively work aisle seats first, then middle, then window. It would be far more efficient. However, few people actually do that.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by emcat
Next thing I know, the line starts moving and the grandmother punches me right in the groin just before saying "see what you get?"

I crumble right back into my seat as they walk away. The woman next to me offers to call the police, but I decline as I had to catch my connection. I guess the moral of the story is that you can't please all people.
I think in most cases I would have skipped my connection to deal with police if someone did that to me

Otherwise this doesn't really bother me as I get antsy to get off the plane in some situations* so I can understand the feeling.

*Like being unable to confirm an AWD vehicle to drive from CMH to DTW through the storm on Sunday night and wanting to get to the Exec Aisle to grab one before they were all gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.