Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why YOU "burn" points/miles for flight instead of hotel or Vice versa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Question Why YOU "burn" points/miles for flight instead of hotel or Vice versa

For many throughout this forum the question seems to be, "getting the MOST out of the points/miles we have earned/collected."

Some go with redeeming for first class class international air travel which proves to be the most "valuable" in terms of points or miles per cost of a retail revenue ticket.

Others choose to put towards an ultra luxurious resort experience.

Some even create* spend on their cc's for the benefit of paying their cc bills with a little bonus on top.

I believe this has been debated some throughout different threads but not a focused one yet.

For those who "earn then burn" by taking trips just to ride up front maybe even all the way around the world in a first class cabin, sans exiting any of the destination or connection airports or maybe the destination has very little to do with the desire or choice to take the trip. What is alluring about this?
Is it the experience of luxury? If so, why not use these points for extremely nice hotel stay that is accompanied by a nice dinner?

The trip report thread is trending with RTW's in J or F completed in 3 days time now most likely tied to the upcoming United Devaluation.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, *A-Gold, AA-Platinum, Hilton-Gold, IHG-Plat, Marriott-Silver, Accor-Plat, Carlson-Gold,

I don't go for the first class or business. I travel as a family with 4 kids. We do around two or three big trips a year on free points. Takes a lot to make that happen. Within this year we all did Hawaii in June, Bali and Taipei (stopover) for this February and Rome for July. We use hotel points to stay for as free as possible and all six of us sleep in a tight room and enjoy where we are. We like luxury and go for that when we can especially with kids because the pools are usually better for our kids. The kids love when there are not enough economy seats and we have to get a business ticket also. We switch out each leg who gets to have fun sitting there feeling fancy.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM

Took my wife and kids to the Cook Islands and Namibia this year and Malawi and Rwanda next year. Enough said.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:53 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
An interesting topic but really apt for the MilesBuzz forum and I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I will sit up front, in the back, or anywhere in between. I have a family of 4, plus have hauled many of my friends here and there. A party of 2 can ride up front, but the 4 of us have always, thus far, flown economy. My brief forays to business class have been delightful, and for long hauls, a definite plus.

The cost factor really multiplies when the fam goes along, too, because 2 adults from 2 households split the bill for things like taxis or hotel rooms, but 4 in one household... it all comes out of our pocketbook.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by pduck01
Took my wife and kids to the Cook Islands and Namibia this year and Malawi and Rwanda next year. Enough said.
OP asked why you used miles/points on flights instead of hotels. Your reply has nothing to do with the question.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
I think it's most likely a "to each his own" situation. From an economics perspective, it's maximizing one's utility. Using your various forms of currency, whether it be dollars or points or miles, etc. in a way that you enjoy the most. Makes plenty of sense to me, even if it's not what I would prefer to do myself.

Personally, I have not flown on a miles ticket since before I first learned about and qualified for frequent flyer status 5 years ago. I have used a few companion tickets on some expensive and/or low upgrade chance routes (around Thxgiving and Christmas, when fares are high; and on ATL-EGE ski trips, which saves a lot of money, and is a route that usually has a full or nearly full F cabin prior to upgrade windows....lots of money going in and out of EGE).

For me, I would rather pay for my tickets to earn the miles and elite qualifying miles. I also engage in some MS in order to get elite miles from our cc's. The goal for me is a higher level of status, so I end up redeeming points for gift cards and hotel rooms, even if it means less than $0.01/mile of "value".
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Jet Airways

I think upgrading works well when one is carrying a lot of luggage after or before a major trip. It really helps in good savings..
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
For thinking purposes I treat each point as worth about a penny. Makes the math easy and it is at least a reasonable valuation.

Then I look at different options - hotel, upgrade, economy flight, etc. and decide if I'd be willing to pay that much if it was cash out of my pocket.

Most recent was a 32,500 mileage ticket I got for a granddaughter. To buy the flight she needed would have cost over $400.

Long range - 1st class at 280,000 RTW looks like a great deal to me.

It really is mostly a matter of your personal economics and valuations.

Romelle
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
For those who "earn then burn" by taking trips just to ride up front maybe even all the way around the world in a first class cabin, sans exiting any of the destination or connection airports or maybe the destination has very little to do with the desire or choice to take the trip. What is alluring about this?
per the following comment
Originally Posted by ATL787
I think it's most likely a "to each his own" situation.
there are those on Flyertalk who think that doing a trip like you(OP) suggest is their view of a perfect trip as it is all about the aspects of flying. (route, aircraft, airline, airport, etc etc)

That wore off for me a long time ago, I'm all about the destination.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:03 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
per the following commentthere are those on Flyertalk who think that doing a trip like you(OP) suggest is their view of a perfect trip as it is all about the aspects of flying. (route, aircraft, airline, airport, etc etc)

That wore off for me a long time ago, I'm all about the destination.
Ditto-- the plane ride is something to suffer through to get to the destination. I just think, "hey, beats a covered wagon across the prairie". I don't redeem my airline points for hotels, ever. I like B and B's and small hotels that fit my budget. Families often have a different priority than young men with tons of points-- and I THINK that's the profile of the folks that are all about the on-board showers.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I use my miles primarily for flights to India as I have relatives there and need to see them. I consider this an essential trip, one for which I would pay so, I base my valuations on the cost of trips to India.

I don't invest much in hotels as very often one can get a room for $100/night which is a smaller savings compared to my India flights.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
For those who "earn then burn" by taking trips just to ride up front maybe even all the way around the world in a first class cabin, sans exiting any of the destination or connection airports .... What is alluring about this?
I don't think very many people fly around the world in F on award tickets and fail to exit the airport. Some bloggers do, but those are business trips for which they they write trip reports to get readers.

Long distance paid tickets for status miles, sure.

But I guess if you have the free time, enjoy flying/airports, and have a gigantic stash of miles, why not? Some folks get miles/points from their businesses coming in faster than they can possibly use them. And people do all kinds of arguably odd things with their money/assets.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 18, 2013 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:40 am
Suspended

Simple, hotel can be found cheaper using priceline or hotels.com. I do apply for hotel CC to get the sign up offer, however most of my spending & MS goes to miles. I don't redeem it for business or 1st class since I need to get ticket for my son as well
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: most of them
There are probably a million different variables and personal situations out there.

For me personally, I redeem to fly up front. I go on one big trip per year. Usually about 4 weeks to Asia. When I am in the air for a day I want to be comfortable. I find most economy seats to be extremely uncomfortable...maybe it's because I am shorter than average. I cannot sleep on planes, especially in economy. So for me, having a place to lay down and rest even if I am not sleeping is important. And just having some personal space and not being crushed in with lots of other people is a lot less stressful.

I also like having access to the lounge to be away from the noise and bustle of the airport. And not having to stand in as many lines is nice too.

Resorts mean nothing to me. And I am not a foodie so a "nice" meal is not interesting to me either. I typically visit cities. And in most Asian cities it is possible to find perfectly good hotels or apartments for a reasonable cost. With most hotel award nights costing so many points it seems like a waste to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.