Question for FT's TAs!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for FT's TAs!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The university should provide many aspect of travel insurance. However, I would be very surprised if the university--or whatever entity is reimbursing the travel--were to pay ticket booking fees to a third party individual who isn't an official travel agent. It can be difficult to justify why an official travel agent was used if there's an additional fee for ticketing.

If you book tickets through an OLTA, what happens if changes are needed? Will you and can you help the guy in IROPs?

You might want to look at services like the cranky concierge. Also, award booking services are generally not travel agents and have very clear disclaimers to that effect.
I have had TAs resell tickets through wholesale buyers and have to talk to them in order to get something done.
You should get experience first if you want the qualifications for the IATA card.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
With regards to FFP-the job as a TA is only to input it, not to manage redemption/explain the program, so it shouldn't be that much work.
Shouldn't but with some clients it can be as the myriad of programs with ineligible booking classes or only partial miles isn't deciphered quickly or easily and would take time to research. A client who is paying for ticketing but getting no FFP/FFM insights might just decide they could do it themselves if they're already doing half the job anyway.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I'm concerned about you purchasing these tickets with your own credit card. The least expensive tickets are non-refundable. What if you book something and he has to re-schedule? The University is certainly not going to reimburse you for a trip that he did not take. You could lose the amount you paid for the ticket, which could be hundreds of dollars. Some Universities do not reimburse until after the trip has taken place. So, you could potentially purchase a ticket in January for March and not be reimbursed until April.

Also, the University's Accounting department will expect the receipts to be in his name, not yours. I think you will have trouble getting reimbursed. I would talk to the Accounting Department about this process before going forward. They will have a lot of arcane rules that will make the payment (or repayment) process slow and painful.

I think that Ghadji1 has the right idea of booking travel for bands or other small entities without the bureaucracy that will come with a University. And I would not use my own credit card for someone else under these circumstances.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
Question for FT's TAs!

If its anything like my university it will take a few months AFTER he returns and turns in triplicate copies of boarding passes and perhaps napkins from all restaurants and the firstborn child of the hotel concierge to get any reimbursement only for things paid in the employees name. Good luck!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Sounds like a myriad of potential issues, as mentioned above. If you book through an OTA, first of all they will charge their own fee. Then you charge yours. Then, as was mentioned, what about the issue of changes? What a nightmare trying to go through an OTA to make changes.

If you pursue this, you need a partnership with a TA that has access to a GDS. Otherwise it will be way too much effort for the reward.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I book with a Travel Agent in case something goes wrong and then the fault lies with the Agent to fix it or reimburse me. I've told the agent that and she agrees it's a good idea. Last time I saw her a few months ago she said they'd gotten an article discussing the millions of dollars spent on non refundable tickets etc that were booked wrongly and the non travel agent person booking it lost their money.

Just wondering what might happen if there is an accidental error in booking? Could you be left with a big charge?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TH310
I'm concerned about you purchasing these tickets with your own credit card. The least expensive tickets are non-refundable. What if you book something and he has to re-schedule? The University is certainly not going to reimburse you for a trip that he did not take. You could lose the amount you paid for the ticket, which could be hundreds of dollars. Some Universities do not reimburse until after the trip has taken place. So, you could potentially purchase a ticket in January for March and not be reimbursed until April.

Also, the University's Accounting department will expect the receipts to be in his name, not yours. I think you will have trouble getting reimbursed. I would talk to the Accounting Department about this process before going forward. They will have a lot of arcane rules that will make the payment (or repayment) process slow and painful.

I think that Ghadji1 has the right idea of booking travel for bands or other small entities without the bureaucracy that will come with a University. And I would not use my own credit card for someone else under these circumstances.
IATA resolution 890 also prohibits this.
TA handbook, page 129, resolution 890, section 1.4

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Oct 29, 2013 at 8:39 pm
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I book with a Travel Agent in case something goes wrong and then the fault lies with the Agent to fix it or reimburse me. I've told the agent that and she agrees it's a good idea. Last time I saw her a few months ago she said they'd gotten an article discussing the millions of dollars spent on non refundable tickets etc that were booked wrongly and the non travel agent person booking it lost their money.

Just wondering what might happen if there is an accidental error in booking? Could you be left with a big charge?
Depends.
Sometimes it could be the airlines fault, sometimes that of the agent.
If the former, the airline manages the booking and modifies it as they see fit to remedy the error.
If the latter, the agent could be reprimanded through ADM or revocation of plating privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.