Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights between 2 airport that no other Flyertalker has ever done

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Originally Posted by tanglin
I used to fly BAH-DHA before the bridge was built (and even after as it was quicker getting through customs that way initially). Just over 20 miles, in a TriStar. Flight time about 15 minutes, max altitude 2,000 feet.

Managed a couple of last minute G&Ts before hitting the kingdom IIRC!
Done that one a few a times myself. How about Blantyre to Salisbury (Rhodesia before it became Zimbabwe). Or Beiruit to Damascus.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
SNA-LAX about 4 years ago or so; on a Beachcraft.
I did that on a Golden West Airlines Twin Otter in 1977
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by suranyi
USAir used to regularly fly from ITH (Ithaca, NY) to ELM (Elmira, NY) in a DC-9. That's 32 miles. I flew it once in 1984 when visiting Cornell University. The flight continued to PIT, where I made a connection.
they were still known as Allegheny when they used Convair 580s and ex-Mohawk BAC 1-11s after taking over Mohawk in 1972; MO also ran the FH-227B on the route ... 17 times on this route in one direction or the other between Aug 71 and Jun 76, and another a few years later

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reason: add log data
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by dannysixpack
bos->jfk
I did that one a few times. Sometimes JetBlue is cheaper than Amtrak.

PIE --> EWR

PVD --> JFK very short as the crow flies
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Ritz Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Plat, Future Four Seasons Super Elite
I signed up for Virgin Galactic. Does that count? It was before I was married and I will be in the first 50 people. For my wife to go with me (in first 50) they told me I could redeem 10million frequent flier miles for the "largest mileage redemption for a single flight." Comes out to $0.025 CPM for those wondering...
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:24 pm

JRB - YUL

This was on a US helicopter flight from JRB to JFK then onto YUL. Delta used to sell this as a valid city pair.

I was the only passenger on the helicopter.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
TSM-COS, though not in many years now. Flying right seat no less.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Platinum
BEH (Benton Harbor, MI) to DTW (or was it MSP?) back in the 90's
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
CTS-MBE, which I flew on an Air Nippon 737 back in 2000 just a few months after MBE opened for business. I think the flight disappeared shortly thereafter and was then revived off and on (seasonally) for a while.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by jrl22
I did that on a Golden West Airlines Twin Otter in 1977
Once on UX, too bad they stopped that flight. Nice drive up PCH...

CLT-GSO, something like 80 miles on a US 737, I don't think they even bothered putting the gear up.

SNA-TVL on an Air California Electra and again on a PSA Electra in the 70s as a barely-preteen due to the jet ban at TVL until the 80s. TVL (Lake Tahoe) no longer has scheduled service. I even made my parents think I wanted to visit my aunt and uncle up there twice because I'd already been on a 737, 747, DC-6 (DC-7? MATS/USAF) and DC-9 and was obsessed with flying on the Electra. After the second trip, meh; it was horribly noisy and both planes vibrated like Home Depot paint-shakers. Good riddance.

VIS has to be the tiniest US airport I've ever used. The same people who ran the UX check-in also ran the security once they closed the counter. Bags? Thrown from the trolley under a fence.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I did MIA-APF round trip on an American Eagle Saab 340 around 1998. Ground handling at APF was similar to what born sleepy describes at VIS.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by born sleepy
VIS has to be the tiniest US airport I've ever used. The same people who ran the UX check-in also ran the security once they closed the counter. Bags? Thrown from the trolley under a fence.
Did FAT-VIS-FAT twice on an EMB120. Two records on those two two flights: 1) My personal shortest time wheels-up to wheels-down: 12 minutes, 13 seconds; 2) I was the only person on the plane. The FA let me do the safety briefing from memory.

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
LAX-PSP (Palm Springs) back in the late 80's or early 90's.
Did that one several times as part of segment churning on mid-continent itins to/from California. E.g., IND-DEN-LAS-PSP-LAX-ONT-SFO.

Last Christmas, needed to fly from COS to SFO. Routing COS-DEN-PSP-SFO was the cheapest by far.

Having learned to fly in a Cessna 150 over the west Texas/southeast New Mexico desert, I love thermals and thus enjoyed the LAS-PSP-LAX route quite a lot!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
We have some world travelers here! Great reading some fun city pairs. I wanted to see the world since I was a young gent, and so rather than wait for a friend, I would just go alone:

Scheduled Commercial Routes

Air China PEK-ULN
Aero Mongol ULN-IKT
Aeroflot SVO-VVO
Korean VVO-ICN
Olympic ATH-JMK
Olympic ATH-PAS
Olympic ATH-MJT
Olympic ATH-SKG
TK IST-ADB
TK ATH-ADB

Just did in May, Iran Air PEK-IKA on 747SP and it was wild! First time in an SP - there was a prayer room! IKA-DXB

Air Mauritius MRU-TNR
Air Madagascar TNR-JNB

Off the grid:

Ethiopian ADD-ZNZ
Kenya ZNZ-MBA
Precision DAR-ZNZ
British LHR-LUN
Kenya LUN-LLW

Uzbekistan DME-SKD
Uzbekistan SKD-TAS
Asiana TAS-ICN

Crazy Flights

TAP LIS-TMS (wanted to go to the middle of nowhere...and I did)

Air Greenland KEF-GOH GOH-KUS
Air Icelandic KUS-RKV (Rey regional airport)

I've done some crazy flights, but loved every moment of it!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: United
BSL-ZRH back in '99, very short flight.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by UnitedAMS
BSL-ZRH back in '99, very short flight.
I nearly did this flight in reverse, but there was an airspace closure issue, and we had to be bussed instead!

A couple others:

Glasgow Abbotsinch (GLA) - Varna (VAR) - at the height of the Black Sea holidays boom in the 80s
Tashkent (TAS) - Delhi (DEL) - not that obscure in the scheme of things, but there seem to be a few HY flights in here, so thought I'd add my tuppen'orth.

Aviatrix, sadly, I missed the opportunity to fly from IPW. I'll hopefully get to fly from CBG shortly, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.