Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dress code for 1st class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Dress code for 1st class

We will be flying next winter to Hawaii first class. Is it acceptable to wear jeans? I want to surprise my hubby ahead of time so I don't want to tell him to wear dress pants. Actually, I don't want him to know I splurged and got those tickets ahead of time!! We will be on a U. S. Airways 319 from Columbus and a 752 from Phoenix. If anyone has flown on those 1st class can you tell me about your experience with those flights?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:45 pm

Jeans are definitely okay. Wear whatever you think is comfortable and/or appropriate for Y.

Domesitc F is not a formal environment anymore, especially to HI.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Silver, HHonors Diamond
Jeans are perfectly acceptable. Even cargo pants/shorts would not cause any issue, especially to a vacation destination like Hawaii.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Jeans and a shirt/blouse to Hawaii will probably put you among the best dressed that day.
"What to wear" is a well-worn thread topic ... one of many from not too long ago.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's a flight not a fashion show. As long as the naughty bits are covered and you've got shoes wear what's comfortable. Even in 1st.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Be advised that your fellow travelers will be fully cognizant of your financial condition and/or needs for comfort or the recognition of personal status. Either you're affluent or you or your husband has booked substantial FF miles traveling the world installing widgets or checking up on far flung staff in Djibouti, Rapid City or Tromso.

Frankly, they won't give a d*mn.

Winter? Well you may want to get away with shorts and flip-flops for a quick trip to the airport, but on your return you may be greeted by a land colder than it was when you left it.

Aside from comfortable shoes (with socks only required if your departure is from some icy locale), covering the naughty bits, and a few pockets to stow the little souvenirs from FC, there's no manual of uniform regulations. Big sunglasses will come in handy in the Islands and but are unlikely to cause others to believe that you're a movie/TV star traveling incognito. Don't wear a yellow hat. They are bug magnets on some/most beaches.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by sylteach
We will be flying next winter to Hawaii first class. Is it acceptable to wear jeans? I want to surprise my hubby ahead of time so I don't want to tell him to wear dress pants. Actually, I don't want him to know I splurged and got those tickets ahead of time!! We will be on a U. S. Airways 319 from Columbus and a 752 from Phoenix. If anyone has flown on those 1st class can you tell me about your experience with those flights?
It's US Air. I don't think anyone wears dress pants or suits on US Air.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold
Dress code for 1st class

hawaiian shirt! matching shirts if you want to live on the edge
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wait til you find out your tickets do not get you into the lounge. have to change into your sleepers in the rest room down the hall.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
Dress code is pretty much sweat pants (or any loose pants) and a baggy tee shirt, you will probably not want jeans as they will ride up your body and constrict your legs as you sit in those really comfortable for torture equipment chairs the padding has been compressed over 20 years ago ... and have to keep shifting to get your weight off your tailbone.
Furthermore on domestic US-Air flights even in first there will be no video or power ports so bring your own entertainment, there is a possibility they will have internet you can pre-pay $14 for the whole day before travel. I don't know if the flight from PHX to HI will be any better (their websites says there is video but that is subject to change without notice so be prepared) the 752 (757 v1) to HNL the seats will be old (The 757 has ceased production in 2004 but us-air is from late 1980s) the video if there is some will be a monitor in the center. There is essentially no power (even thought it says there is) because it is an empower connection that requires a special adapter (that of course the airlines doesn't have but you can buy duty free if you choose). As for seats get row 1 the recline in first class on the 757 will place the seat in your face in row 2. On the plus side they make a pretty good Mojito (free of charge), you will get fed, and they have a nice selection of snacks in first class.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:46 am

Dress code for 1st class

Sounds like your husband is in for a nice surprise

Wear whatever is comfortable and what you want to wear
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Jorts and a T shirt

or Jorts & Hawaiin shirt

flip flops are fine although I don't like them on a plane as one's feet can get cold so I opt for sneakers; boat shoes would work too
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. We both have back issues so I wanted us to be comfortable. I already have seats in the 2nd row booked for us on all the flights. I hope that wasn't a mistake. I figured I would bring my kindle and read books I had already downloaded. Do they serve "fruity" mixed drinks at all?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sylteach
Did you buy refundable tickets by chance? I'd be more concerned that one actually paid for first class in US to HI. By far the worst among all other carriers.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I'm trying to find the thread from a few years ago where a chap who was something like an intern in the fashion industry was trying to dictate what everyone should wear in First. This learned view was formed on the basis of working in the fashion industry and hence he thought it was his place to lecture us. It didn't end well for him.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.