Reload this Page >

The bro tank and air travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The bro tank and air travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wow - I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the general intolerance and hatred I'm seeing in this thread. I never had a clue that wearing a tank top, having "crappy tribal ink" and such would finally land me in a group of travelers despised by FTers.

...and I usually do it in first or business. Flame away!
I'm sorry you feel persecuted but on my part, there is definitely no hatred or intolerance towards the stereotypical muscle bound, steroid driven lifter who wears the bro tank. For me, it is just that I don't want to see pit hair in a public setting, be it on the above, a gorgeous muscley tanned guy, a university professor or an old man. I just think some things are better left covered in public. I'd say the same if this discussion was about wearing a bathing suit bottom (such as a Speedo) on a plane. At least wear trunks and cover up bits that really, no one wants to see in a public setting. Same goes with a restaurant, a store, anywhere where a modicum of decorum should be observed. Shorts/t-shirt, fine. But pit hair is kind of where I, personally, draw the line. I just think exposed pit hair is not a good look on anyone. Everyone has their opinions and these are just mine. Others may feel differently and that's what makes this world such an interesting place. As long as it's legal, then no one can stop you from wearing what you want but this thread started as an opinion of what people thought of bro tanks on planes. This is just mine and I don't expect other to necessarily agree nor am I demanding they not be worn. Just answering the question the OP posed.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
forward is bad enough, backward or sideways makes me cringe. Especially if the wearer is over 15yo, they just look foolish.

Because of how I was raised, rightly or wrongly, I think it is odd to see grown men wearing baseball hats as fashion indoors.
I'm over 15... 41 years over to be exact.

I don't wear my baseball caps as fashion.

I do wear my baseball caps as they are meant to be worn... lid forward.

I guess you don't like ball players either.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A bro tank while flying?!?

Hang on, my Zubaz just called, they think that's in rather poor taste.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pinniped
A bro tank while flying?!?

Hang on, my Zubaz just called, they think that's in rather poor taste.
Had to google Zubaz. Epic! Especially the photo of the guy with the mullet and belly shirt that came up.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by rob0225
I'm not germaphobic...but I just can't stand touching someone else's bare skin. I never wear shorts when flying. I do wear SS shirts sometimes, but definitely stay within the confines of my seat.
Be careful where you wear your SS shirts mein freund !
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:50 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
I'll stop flying when cabins look like the checkout line at WalMart.... and we seem to be inching towards that every day.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:04 am

Meh, so long as my seatmate doesn't have BO, is quiet, and doesn't try to talk to me beyond the quasi-obligatory greeting at the beginning of the flight, I really don't care what they're wearing or how they look.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RK7
I'll stop flying when cabins look like the checkout line at WalMart.... and we seem to be inching towards that every day.
Well, they'd have to invent another mode of transportation for me to stop flying...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wow - I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the general intolerance and hatred I'm seeing in this thread. I never had a clue that wearing a tank top, having "crappy tribal ink" and such would finally land me in a group of travelers despised by FTers.

...and I usually do it in first or business. Flame away!
Intolerance and hatred? Can we save the use of those words for an ethnic group that is legitimately persecuted? Or does the haters-gonna-hate mentality help justify the narcissistic behaviors of those donning the bro-tank in flight?

And just for the record, I have no problem with the bro tank on the beach, at the gym, concerts, or even certain bars/clubs. My main beef (beyond my lack of understanding as to why they need to make such a silly fashion statement everywhere they go, but like someone else said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder) is the large % of this group that lack basic airport etiquette, whether it is holding up the security line, getting dressed right in front of the x-ray scanner, or standing in front of the boarding door during priority boarding with their zone 3 BP. Is it that big a deal to find a t-shirt with sleeves when you are going to sit in tight proximity of other strangers, such as a Y cabin, for example?

Last edited by GatorAir; Jun 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm Reason: grammar fix
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
Ugh, the bro tank.

I just graduated from university and most guys wore them there... And in terms of the poor airport etiquette (actually, everyday etiquette), that's something they really don't possess. Example:

Boarding though the Premier Line at ORD, flying home for Christmas. Mr. bro tank is blocking the enterance. So I go around him and he gets all flustered:

BT: Hey, brah, they're only boarding first class now.
Me: (ignored)
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:12 pm

Does anything in this world scream "awesome" like a dude rocking the bro tank in Chicago in December?

Well, yes, the same dude with Zubaz fresh out of a Drakkar shower...but other than that?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I don't much care what people wear on a flight, either. But. My flight attendant instructor pal has told me many times that wearing long sleeves and long pants in cotton or wool is the safest attire for air travel. Footwear should be flat shoes, either lace-up or slip-ons.

In case of emergency evacuation, you want those arms and legs covered to prevent injury. And if you have to run away from a burning plane you want your feet to be covered and ready for a sprint. These pieces of expert advice are ones I'm more than willing to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.