Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The bro tank and air travel

Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond

What is the FT community's thoughts on the guy who wears the bro tank in Y. You typically see them most frequently on domestic routes in the southwest US or Caribbean (though I think it has some roots across young people in Europe). Bro boards the plane wearing a sleeveless tank, usually some neon, purple or pink color, and may also sport a "snapback" baseball cap. Sometimes the tank contains some sort of explitive, but that is a story for another thread. Alongside the initially prevalent lack of courtesy by forcing seatmates to have to rub up against their bare (and usually sweaty or greasy) "broceps", these special individuals also lack decent airport etiquette in just about every other facet- from getting dressed in the security line to standing in front of the gate with a zone 4 BP while zone 1 is currently boarding.

Am I old fashioned, or is anyone else repulsed when you have to soak up the sweat seeping from these bros' sleeveless arms, all because they have to make sure everyone on the plane knows how much lifting and tanning they do?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by GatorAir
What is the FT community's thoughts on the guy who wears the bro tank in Y. You typically see them most frequently on domestic routes in the southwest US or Caribbean (though I think it has some roots across young people in Europe). Bro boards the plane wearing a sleeveless tank, usually some neon, purple or pink color, and may also sport a "snapback" baseball cap. Sometimes the tank contains some sort of explitive, but that is a story for another thread. Alongside the initially prevalent lack of courtesy by forcing seatmates to have to rub up against their bare (and usually sweaty or greasy) "broceps", these special individuals also lack decent airport etiquette in just about every other facet- from getting dressed in the security line to standing in front of the gate with a zone 4 BP while zone 1 is currently boarding.

Am I old fashioned, or is anyone else repulsed when you have to soak up the sweat seeping from these bros' sleeveless arms, all because they have to make sure everyone on the plane knows how much lifting and tanning they do?
I am not of the old old school of business attire when traveling but, I always wear a button up shirt when travelling. Mostly long sleeve but sometimes short. I don't like to see ultra casual dress. Flip flops, wife beater, work out cloths, shouldn't be worn.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Gentlemen, please. At the very least, wear a t-shirt. Hairy armpits, sometimes damp looking or outright wet or saturated is something no one wants to see. Pit hair is not a good look on anyone. Cetainly not something I want to see outside the beach or gym (and really, not even there once the sweating starts). We know you have it but keep it covered on a plane or in other public areas.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Armpit hair on men or women should be prohibited from being shown on aircraft. If I wrote the Federal Aviation Regulations, I'd include that.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
For those who complain about bare arms:

Do you mind sitting next to an attractive woman in a sleeveless top (with shaved pits, of course)?

Do you dislike contact with naked biceps, but find naked forearm arm rest contact OK? (I've rarely seen hairy biceps, but I've seen some remarkably hairy forearms, on both men and women).

I'm just wondering if it's the exposed arms that are the problem, or is it exposed arms only in conjunction with certain other behaviors.

I always travel with layers, regardless of destination, so if someone sits next to me with hairy pits (that I am unlikely to come in contact with), exposed biceps, hairy or clammy forearms, I can always put my long-sleeved shirt on if I'm not already wearing it.

In short, if you don't like the bro tank, dress defensively!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

We call 'em "wife beaters." They seem to correlate with a certain socioeconomic status, and within that status, a certain intelligence quotient range.

One might opine that their afficionados ought not be allowed beyond expectorating range of their pickemup trucks.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I really don't care what other people wear on the plane.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
^
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I long gave up caring what people wear on the plane. I do like to judge them on what they wear and make sweeping generalisations though. Some of the most objectionable people I have come across have been suited and booted though. And beware of people wearing Panama style hats.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:00 pm

I personally like the guys in the jogging suits. But when their wife/girlfriend/mistress is dressed to match it's even more amazing.

I generally don't care what people wear but they do entertain me. The behavior that proves the stereotypes I can do without.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by chollie
Originally Posted by cordelli
^
My only issue is if they stink.

Otherwise they can wear what they want. Snapbacks & tattoos
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
My only issue is if they stink.

Otherwise they can wear what they want. Snapbacks & tattoos
Double like. Maybe the TSA should start checking for BO or bad breath...
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
For those who complain about bare arms:

Do you mind sitting next to an attractive woman in a sleeveless top (with shaved pits, of course)?

Do you dislike contact with naked biceps, but find naked forearm arm rest contact OK? (I've rarely seen hairy biceps, but I've seen some remarkably hairy forearms, on both men and women).

I'm just wondering if it's the exposed arms that are the problem, or is it exposed arms only in conjunction with certain other behaviors.

I always travel with layers, regardless of destination, so if someone sits next to me with hairy pits (that I am unlikely to come in contact with), exposed biceps, hairy or clammy forearms, I can always put my long-sleeved shirt on if I'm not already wearing it.

In short, if you don't like the bro tank, dress defensively!
You bring up a fair enough point. However, the distinction between the two (IMO) are as follows:

1. An attractive woman with a sleeveless top typically will be much more petite than a beef-roided male sporting a bro tank, making her less likely to brush her bare sweaty arms against you.
2. IANAD, but do not men typically perspire more heavily than women?
3. And while this may be subjective, women in a sleeveless top are typically doing so to dress comfortably, while said bros are for the most part trying to make some sort of silly fashion statement (look at my broceps, check out my crappy tribal ink, have a gaze at this awesome tan, don't you see how tough I look?, etc.)

I guess it is a combination of the apparel and the stereotypical social mannerisms the bro community expresses. I just do not understand why they have to make such a silly fashion statement (as said in #2) everywhere they go, and at least once in a while not dress like you are desperately trying to draw attention to yourself. Add in the rancid body spray and it is not a very pleasant experience rubbing broceps with them.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
We call 'em "wife beaters." They seem to correlate with a certain socioeconomic status, and within that status, a certain intelligence quotient range..
Tactfully stated.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:32 pm

You bring up a fair enough point. However, the distinction between the two (IMO) are as follows:

1. An attractive woman with a sleeveless top typically will be much more petite than a beef-roided male sporting a bro tank, making her less likely to brush her bare sweaty arms against you.
2. IANAD, but do not men typically perspire more heavily than women?
3. And while this may be subjective, women in a sleeveless top are typically doing so to dress comfortably, while said bros are for the most part trying to make some sort of silly fashion statement (look at my broceps, check out my crappy tribal ink, have a gaze at this awesome tan, don't you see how tough I look?, etc.)

I guess it is a combination of the apparel and the stereotypical social mannerisms the bro community expresses. I just do not understand why they have to make such a silly fashion statement (as said in #2) everywhere they go, and at least once in a while not dress like you are desperately trying to draw attention to yourself. Add in the rancid body spray and it is not a very pleasant experience rubbing broceps with them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have sat next to/seen more overweight middle-aged or older women in sleeveless tops than beefy men in tanks. And believe me, overweight women (particularly if they are of 'hot flash' age) can sweat with the best of them. Sweat doesn't have to stink. Even though the women aren't hairy, I do not want body contact with hot, clammy forearm skin on the arm rest.

Either way, the best defense against such encounters is to cover your own bare skin with long sleeves.

My point is that the kind of guy who is offensive in a bro tank (or his female counterpart) is probably offensive no matter what he wears. If he's a stinky slob in a tank, he's probably not significantly better in the middle of winter (unwashed hair smell, unwashed stale grease and sweat reeking hoodie).

OTOH, there are guys (and women) who wear sleeveless wear, are tanned, fit, have tats, but don't smell, have good manners and are great seatmates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.