Wiki Posts
Search

What would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Sure he is.

But in a public place he should not spew his venomous ignorance.
He's allowed to do that too.

Best just to walk away or ignore him.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
The only time I've ever flown to Budapest, DL from JFK, the departure lounge and flight were full with a large party of what appeared to be substantially orthodox Jews traveling to Israel by way of a few days in the city. No vocal Hungarian anti-Semites seemed to be among the other travelers, but then the "mix" aboard would likely have caused one to hesitate before voicing such opinions.

We sat (in the back of the 763) next to a middle-aged Rabbi from NYC who, never having visited Central Texas, assumed that it must be a hot bed of anti-Semitism. He was shocked to learn that the local Conservative rabbi lived just around the corner from me in a house owned by the congregation, close enough to comfortably walk to the synagogue, and that the local Reform rabbi and I were close friends, having spent a decade in the same Navy Reserve unit.

Travel is a broadening experience, with a few anti-Semites along the way, and the US remains a great place, filled with diverse folks of diverse opinions (as evidence in FT).
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Hello,
I am Israeli and my mom is too(duh) . We were travelling to Budapest and on the plane a person came to us. He announced he was Hungarian and anti semitic person. He said he hates Israel he hates us hates Jews etc... bla bla bla and then boarded the plane. Now what would you have done?
I would say "I hate you too" and then totally ignore him.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
don't wear your heart on your sleeve. aussies hated orientals. germans hated jews. germans are not nice to polishers. french hated jews. french hated bush americans. northern italians hate southern italians. londoners hate packies. irishers hate english. all them guys in yugoslavia hated each other.
Cue Tom Lehrer's "National Brotherhood Week" song!

(For those unfamiliar with this comedy song, it basically has verses that go "The AAA's hate the BBB's, the BBB's hate the CCC's, etc.)
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:18 pm

I like the "I will pray for you approach". That will make the ....... look more ridiculous than anything else you can do to him.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
perhaps he had a miserable time with Israeli airport security
Perhaps, but in my experience, TLV security staff were thorough, professional, polite and cheerful. After all, they've got the experience. Far nicer than the shouting slowcoaches at LHR T5 or the surly resentniks at LAX.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by ysolde
Quietly called flight crew, as I would think such a person poses a risk to the flight and the passengers. Oh my!
No more so than a good percentage of the US when they spot someone "Flying While Not A White Christian." That is to say, no real threat at all, despite being racist rednecks.

It can hardly be a surprise to people that there are arseholes in the world, surely? Holding a dickish viewpoint is not grounds for reporting anyone unless you are equally dickish and add incompetent fear to the mix as well.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
hate speech = crime in Canada

I would have told the antisemite that in my country (Canada), making speeches that emphasize hatred of an identifiable group is a crime. I'd have encouraged him to go to Canada and make such statements, which could land him in jail for up to 5 years.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by TMOliver
The only time I've ever flown to Budapest, DL from JFK, the departure lounge and flight were full with a large party of what appeared to be substantially orthodox Jews traveling to Israel by way of a few days in the city. No vocal Hungarian anti-Semites seemed to be among the other travelers, but then the "mix" aboard would likely have caused one to hesitate before voicing such opinions.

We sat (in the back of the 763) next to a middle-aged Rabbi from NYC who, never having visited Central Texas, assumed that it must be a hot bed of anti-Semitism. He was shocked to learn that the local Conservative rabbi lived just around the corner from me in a house owned by the congregation, close enough to comfortably walk to the synagogue, and that the local Reform rabbi and I were close friends, having spent a decade in the same Navy Reserve unit.

Travel is a broadening experience, with a few anti-Semites along the way, and the US remains a great place, filled with diverse folks of diverse opinions (as evidence in FT).
Mod hat Off--speaking as a private poster--This was a great post. ^
Old Mar 29, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
+1 on doing nothing. Who cares? (In fact, I find it amusing that he would go out of his way to "announce" this to you; it would be my laugh for the day and I would get on with my trip.)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mecabq
+1 on doing nothing. Who cares? (In fact, I find it amusing that he would go out of his way to "announce" this to you; it would be my laugh for the day and I would get on with my trip.)
+2. Roll eyes, maybe even shake head, and move on. Besides, as crazy as people are these days, it might escalate to worse. There's no accounting for stupidity and it's everywhere. He's not even worth the time it would take out of my day to tell him what I think anyway, so why bother?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.