FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What would you have done? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1451805-what-would-you-have-done.html)

howtofreetravel Mar 24, 2013 12:39 am

What would you have done?

Hello,
I am Israeli and my mom is too(duh) . We were travelling to Budapest and on the plane a person came to us. He announced he was Hungarian and anti semitic person. He said he hates Israel he hates us hates Jews etc... bla bla bla and then boarded the plane. Now what would you have done?

imslippy Mar 24, 2013 1:03 am

What would you have done?

as an American I'd get in his face. but being me of be so shocked to even think what to do right away
did you handle it well?

angeloedades Mar 24, 2013 5:42 am

Originally Posted by flymanbeast (Post 20472259)
Hello,
I am Israeli and my mom is too(duh) . We were travelling to Budapest and on the plane a person came to us. He announced he was Hungarian and anti semitic person. He said he hates Israel he hates us hates Jews etc... bla bla bla and then boarded the plane. Now what would you have done?

[Inappropriate text edited by Moderator.]

I would have reported this to the crew as for me this is a security risk... You need to think of the what ifs....

I hope you didn't just sit there and did nothing?!

/AE

travelmad478 Mar 24, 2013 5:50 am

1. Were you traveling from TLV to BUD? If so, wouldn't the whole plane be full of Israelis, and wouldn't the man have just been in Israel himself? I wonder why he singled you two out to receive his diatribe. If it had been me, and the plane had been sitting on the ground in TLV at the time, I probably would have (a) asked him what the hell he was doing in Israel if he hated Israel and Jews so much, and then (b) pointed him out immediately to the crew as a security risk. It would be poetic justice for him to get pulled off the plane and questioned for seven or eight hours by Israeli security.

2. If you weren't in TLV, how did he know you were Israeli? (I can think of a lot of non-Israelis who speak Hebrew.) If the plane was outside Israel at the time, I probably would have just told him to f*** off, notified cabin crew of the situation so they could watch out for him, and carried on with my flight. It stinks, but there are racists and bigots all over the world, and sometimes you have to let things just roll off you.

dinoscool3 Mar 24, 2013 5:54 am

In before OMNI PR (which my post will be the tipping point).

Did this man display any type of physical hostility? Threaten to hurt you? If not, why can't this man have his views? Many Americans hate Muslims, you wouldn't execute someone for saying that. You should have said "Well I'm sorry we don't live you to your standards, but that was very rude," or something else not provoking, but if he should not physical hostility nothing beyond that.

DaddyRabbit Mar 24, 2013 6:33 am

ASK Him

Ash him how long he has been out of a mental institution.

mandolino Mar 24, 2013 8:35 am

on the plane a person came to us ... He said he hates Israel he hates us hates Jews etc... bla bla bla and then boarded the plane.
First I would ask how he then boarded the plane when he was already on the plane.

Second I would ignore him as an inconsequential arsehole who is displaying his sphincturality very well to all and sundry, unless he persisted or became physically aggressive. Presumably he is on a plane with mostly Jewish people so it's a different situation to him picking on you when you are isolated.

azcoyote Mar 24, 2013 8:46 am

Tell him you would pray for him.

pinworm Mar 24, 2013 8:58 am

He is allowed to hate jews if he wants. It would be best just to avoid the guy.

gfunkdave Mar 24, 2013 9:06 am

I would have just laughed at him. That's about what he deserves: ridicule.

Mr. Vker Mar 24, 2013 9:32 am

I am sorry for you that you experienced that hate. I am sorry for him that he lives with that hate. He must be miserable-and deserves it for holding on to that.

You should not have to experience that.

Finkface Mar 24, 2013 10:02 am

Definitely would have gone to the crew and reported him. Said I feared what this man might do if he sat there and stewed about it for awhile, especially if he had a few drinks and I was afraid he might escalate. Would have loved to see him removed from that plane. Boy, he would really have hated Jews after that and it would have served him right to be questioned by security for awhile, especially if you were in TLV. And miss his flight home.

ysolde Mar 24, 2013 10:22 am

Quietly called flight crew, as I would think such a person poses a risk to the flight and the passengers. Oh my!

FlyingUnderTheRadar Mar 24, 2013 11:15 am

For those who did not read the post fully, the OP is Israeli they did not say they were in Israel. As such, given that FT is mostly a USA based crowd I am going to guess they are flying to Budapest from the USA.

As for what to do - as several had said. Say nothing but then alert the flight crew as to what was said and let them decide what to do.

littlesheep Mar 24, 2013 11:26 am

Was this on the plane or before boarding? Your post isn't clear.

The guy isn't fit to fly, obviously. He's drunk or insane. If in the US before boarding, well then, I'd have finally found a use for the TSA...

He can go home as a deportee, in handcuffs, accompanied by an air marshal. :)