Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Hotel Upgrades

This is something that's always on my mind, and I was just thinking about this earlier so bear with me guys.

Why do people put such a large emphasis on hotel upgrades and make a big deal of it? I understand airline upgrades, where the differences between economy and business class are day and night (seat versus bed, edible food vs nauseating tin foil, lounge access vs gate lice etc. etc.)

But almost every hotel and room type offers the same two basic features: a bed to sleep on, and a reasonable degree of security. Unless you're with family or friends or otherwise in a large group, I really don't see the difference between a standard room and a junior suite and a suite in practical terms. In fact, personally I'd rather prefer a room that's cozier (but not cramped) to a large empty room or suite. Maybe I'm just strange though.

So my question here is- what's the big deal with hotel upgrades? Is there just something I'm not getting, a matter of personal preference or something else?

:-:
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:32 am

Yep I feel the same way, it just feels a bit weird when I'm traveling alone and I have this huge empty hotel room.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
To a certain mindset (one in full evidence here on FT) the idea of getting something one did not pay for just overwhelms rational thought. That someone does not need the upgrade/suite, etc. doesn't enter the conversation. It's a game, it's a weird validation that "I won and you didn't," it's beating somebody else (other traveler or hotel, it matters not).
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tennster
To a certain mindset (one in full evidence here on FT) the idea of getting something one did not pay for just overwhelms rational thought. That someone does not need the upgrade/suite, etc. doesn't enter the conversation. It's a game, it's a weird validation that "I won and you didn't," it's beating somebody else (other traveler or hotel, it matters not).
100% right on. I am like the OP and find holiday inn express perfectly suitable. Bed, breakfast, shower and Internet. I don't need anything more in a hotel.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by tennster
^

FWIW. Of course it matters. (1) Space creates calmness to the mind. (2) Certain upgrades have lounge access with free drinks/breakfast/food attached, which on a week trip may save hundreds of euros/dollars/yens. (3) It's a confirmation of the -often only perceived- bond between frequent hotel guests and the hotel, a token of their appreciation.

It is disputable if an upgrade from King Standard to Twin Deluxe/higher is actually an upgrade, but that is OT.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hotel Upgrades

Sometimes it's location, a room facing a busy street or one facing a quiet park. A higher floor vs a lower floor. A renovated vs non-renovated room. A corner room vs one near the elevator. Sometimes you get free Internet or free breakfast (at places where breakfast is otherwise not free), but that's more tied into status. Like you I don't need a lot of space, but an upgrade from a standard room to 1 bedroom suite is great if you have guests coming over.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by zigzagg900
Sometimes it's location, a room facing a busy street or one facing a quiet park. A higher floor vs a lower floor. A renovated vs non-renovated room. A corner room vs one near the elevator. Sometimes you get free Internet or free breakfast (at places where breakfast is otherwise not free), but that's more tied into status. Like you I don't need a lot of space, but an upgrade from a standard room to 1 bedroom suite is great if you have guests coming over.
Agreed. I like the preferred location. I do not need a huge suite if traveling solo.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:59 pm

I regularly turn down upgrades. "Save them for someone else. Perhaps someone with a family". Solo, I get Citizen Kane waking nightmares.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The answer is..... it depends.

If all I am using the hotel room for is to come in, go to sleep, wake up, shower, change, and head out then I don't care if I'm upgraded or not.

If however I'm going to be working in the evening or staying a few days, then having a bit more room to spread out, or have a separate living area where you can relax without having to use the bed all the time, or even having a little kitchen can be really nice.

It's like saying the only purpose of a car is to be able to drive from point a to point b, so why doesn't everybody just rent the cheapest compact? For some people that's fine, but for some others, they want something a bit better.

Many hotels offer both kinds of rooms because there are people who are happy in the shoe box, and others who want the divided boot box.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
its a bene, why not take it?

but carping about not getting 1, is okay if you have to let off steam....
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Well, it's true that travelling solo one does not require a dining table for eight and seating for 12 more, along with several beds, multiple baths, and a service kitchen. Yet when that, or some lesser "excess" is bestowed, even as simple as an amenity from management, I take it as something to enjoy for the moment because it's nice. Not like beating someone or getting over to prove one's self worth.

Upgrades and perks are good; feeling entitled in these matters isn't good. Maybe my attitude is wrong and I should withdraw from FT...

Currently writing this post from a $69 Hyatt Place. That works too.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GfL
If it's an upgrade to a nicer view, modestly larger room, or a Club floor, I am happy to take it. (I like Club lounges for the free breakfast, and for access to a space where I can sit and do work in the evening without feeling like a lonely prisoner in my room.) However, an upgrade to a big suite actually bugs me. To me a suite just means more places where I can potentially put down my stuff and then forget about it when I check out!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Huge suites are usually quieter than smaller rooms because the uncontrolled little brats in the next room are farther away. That's the only reason I like upgrades.

Anything else, like lounge access or free internet is more tie to status, IME, so I don't count that as an upgrade benefit. If I get it in a suite, I'd get it in the prison cell room.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Totally depends on the trip.

For vacations with family, I want max space in the hotel room - that's why a lot of those trips are done at Residence Inn or at a hotel where I think I have a very good chance (or can confirm with extra points) to get a suite. On those, I'm also highly likely to fly Y since (a) to date, they have not been truly long-long-haul and (b) the kids don't get anything out of J/F.

For solo work trips, I generally don't care much about either the hotel or airline upgrade - I just want efficient service and the "basics" of the elite status in play to work well. Good airport processes, fast security checkpoint, efficient boarding, irrops support if I need it. At the hotel, fast check-in/-out, good lounge, high floor or corner room...I'm happy. My airline statuses are all mid-/low-tier these days so I don't really have high expectations of upgrades there to begin with. (Although US has had a surprisingly good success rate for me this year.)

For trips with my wife, we like to upgrade the flight if we can (this is where I spend the miles or other upgrade instruments) and then stay in the best possible hotels where status provides breakfast and lounge access. More likely to spend extra points for a high-category hotel here, but getting a suite isn't really a determining factor with where we book. Rather stay in a Conrad or St. Regis type hotel, even if it's just a very good regular room.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Often big easy chair with ottoman and a large workspace come along with the upgrade - makes my day. Lounge access is huge. They're often more recently renovated and on a higher floor or with a nicer view. Little things like toiletries are nice, but not essential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.