Reload this Page >

Passenger etiquette - Window Shade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger etiquette - Window Shade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
If you know it's bothering someone, why keep it open? (Because you're entitled, right?)
I knew if I waited long enough, someone would share my view (no pun intended) on this.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
If you can't be bothered to be a decent human being for me and put your window shade down when the sun is in my eyes, then I simply can't be bothered to get up for you when you need to run to the potty. Afterall, why should my enjoyment of the flight be trumped for yours? Isn't that what the "this is my window and I'll do what I god damn well please" people say?

^
|

I wouldn't actually do this, I'm just pointing out the apparent idiocy behind that assertion, and the fact that payback can be a b.....

Like it or not, that's not "your" window - it's the airline's window and more pointedly, the cabin crew's window. You're not in your house or your car, you're in a shared communal space. If you know it's bothering someone, why keep it open? (Because you're entitled, right?)
If sun in your eyes is such an issue perhaps you should select window seats in future so that you can easily move the shade up or down. I prefer shades to be down, but my preference is for an aisle seat so I just shrug and put up with whatever the window pax decide.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by fti
I think if FA's and others only realized why we window seat lovers like the window - looking out, taking photos, dealing with the light/jetlag issues - they would be more understanding.
OTOH, some of us like them on long-haul because we can lean against the wall to help us sleep.

Originally Posted by slawecki
also, due to my advanced age, i need an hourly pottie break. you block me, and your 12 hr trip is going to get very uncomfortable.
If you need an hourly potty break, you'd better take the aisle or a bulkhead that lets you get straight up on longer flights.

I tend to find flying very drying, so even trying to hydrate, I'll often only get up twice on a TPAC. For me, windows are ideal.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel

If you need an hourly potty break, you'd better take the aisle or a bulkhead that lets you get straight up on longer flights.

I tend to find flying very drying, so even trying to hydrate, I'll often only get up twice on a TPAC. For me, windows are ideal.
so if it's good for you why is it not good for me, right? i find flying very drying also, and try to drink 1/2 a liter of water an hour.

i am not a platinum or a silver or whatever. i cannot even get my medical supplies loaded in the cabin with me. that's for the elites. get a bulkhead seat, get serious. get an aisle seat, get serious. actually, i usually end up in the back of a md 80 next to the engine.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:16 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by qvzn
Since I like playing with fire, here's some more kindlin'...

Does the same apply to the aisle seat occupant? Primary control of the aisle rests with them, so if you need to use the facilities, well you'll just have to wait until I'm done writing my email / brushing my teeth / clipping my toenails / you get the idea
You may like playing with fire, but when I'm confined to a metal tube the last thing I want to encounter is fire. So I'm going to drop trou and put that fire out. Of course you get the idea.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by slawecki
so if it's good for you why is it not good for me, right? i find flying very drying also, and try to drink 1/2 a liter of water an hour.
Twice in 12 hours is not hourly.

i am not a platinum or a silver or whatever. i cannot even get my medical supplies loaded in the cabin with me. that's for the elites. get a bulkhead seat, get serious. get an aisle seat, get serious. actually, i usually end up in the back of a md 80 next to the engine.
Then you're unlikely to be waking me up every hour, not that there are many 12-hour flights on MD80. As for the aisle, while the bulkheads aren't for advance sale on all airlines, most will let you pay for aisle seats and some will let you pay for bulkheads. If I had a bladder that small, I'd be willing to pay.

For that matter, if I got stuck in the aisle because you had the window and you were waking me up every hour to pee, at about hour #2 or 3 you'd probably get given the choice of either swapping seats with me or having to try to step over me.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: spg platinum, hyatt diamond, Intercontinental Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
im thankful that this issue has been brought up. very common and sometimes very hard to diffuse.

Fellow pax should understand that closing the shade of someone who is directly in front of it is rude and condescending. If you wish to request that the shade be closed when you are not in the seat in front of it, you need to be humble in the request and understand YOU ARE NOT entitled to demand it.

Someone who is not willing to be assertive about their rights does not give the aggressor the right to take advantage of the situation.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:50 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
My View - daytime flight the shade can be up if the window passenger wants. Overnight flight then leave it down so as not to wake people with light too early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.