Reload this Page >

Passenger etiquette - Window Shade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger etiquette - Window Shade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:37 pm

I usually book a window seat because I enjoy looking down at and taking the occasional picture of the mountains, towns, cities, etc as we pass overhead. Of course if the sun is glaring in sure I'll close it but otherwise it stays open. Now if you ask politely for me to partially or fully close it as long as I'm not trying to take a picture I almost certainly will but if you be a douche about it chances are I won't.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by quick_dry
I'd just do the walk over the arm rests - if I were asleep in the aisle seat I'd rather people did that than wake me.
^ I like when people do this. OTOH, I don't do it myself unless I'm alert and sober--which is just about never when having to get up from a window seat in the middle of a flight. Better ask than slip and fall on someone while they're asleep

In a hypothetical situation where "I control the aisle" is asserted, I'd definitely walk over the armrests, but I would certainly slip since I'd be LMAO

Slightly related question - why do the shades have to be brought up? I've found it funny that the FA's are very insistent about it wherever you sit in Y, but the shades are down by default and left that way in F or J? (Is this another 'electronics at take off' style rule?)
The shades up/down during certain phases of flight is an airline rule. AFAIK there are no regulations about that--but some airlines do it one way or the other, for a variety of reasons, some of which make more sense than others
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by qvzn
The shades up/down during certain phases of flight is an airline rule. AFAIK there are no regulations about that--but some airlines do it one way or the other, for a variety of reasons, some of which make more sense than others
The biggest reason is so that your eyes are better adjusted to the outside light conditions in the event you have to evacuate on the ground.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:03 am

On an overnight trans-Atlantic flight, I had the window seat, which was good because I like to photograph scenery. I also had a seatmate in the adjacent aisle seat who wanted to spend most of the long flight sleeping.

I decided to use the bathroom before she fell asleep, to minimize disturbing her.

I took some photos as the plane started crossing the Atlantic east of Cape Cod, and then closed the shades as darkness descended, with nothing to see for a while. I woke up shortly before the seatback GPS showed sunrise and Europe coming up soon. (I like how Air Canada shows the moving day/night Earth map.) As the plane entered European airspace above Nantes, France, I lifted the shade a little bit. It was just enough to see and put the camera lens against the window, for some nice shots of little villages dotting the countryside below, without enough light to wake up my seatmate. Then I closed the shade again, until the seatback GPS indicated more interesting sights nearby, such as the Greek islands.

The only downside was that I was on the right side of the plane, and according to the GPS, the plane was close enough to see Rome on the left. But all the shades on the left side were closed, because everyone else was sleeping, so I couldn't get up and figure out a good place for a photo-op.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:10 am
Suspended

Of course I see the difference
This statement is not consistent with equating looking out the window to having access to aisle. Do you seriously think that a person seated in the aisle seat controls access to aisle in any sense? Aisle seat gives you more freedom bit no right to control access to the aisle. Windows seat is more restrictive but gives you an opportunity to "control" the shade.
Window seat comes with the privilege of looking out. Aisle seat does not come with the privilege of blocking access to aisle. You don't seem to get this simple point, your claim to the contrary notwithstanding.

--and I don't clip my nails on the plane, either! But I do think the idea of figuring out who "owns" the window shade or aisle is absurd. We're all in this ship together--literally--so we better get along, or else!
Whether you clip your nails, scratch your behind.crotch or finger you nose is not relevant here.
What is absurd is your absolutist interpretation of my post and talking about getting along! Does getting along mean acceding to every whim of aggressive people? Windows are there for people to look out, and shades to block intrusive sunlight. Not all sunlight is intrusive. It would be a lot cheaper to build a plane without windows. So, the only purpose of windows is to look out even if it allows sunlight in. And for situations when light is intrusive, you use the shade, including your personal shades, which is a lot easier than arguing with an occupant of the window seat.

I said a most people will accommodate a polite request and that the occupant of the window seat controls the shade. What else is there for any reasonable person?

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:23 am
Suspended

You can see upthread what various people are willing to do about it, but that's why or else was in italics. If enough people make a stink about this and FAs start having to referee [even more] disputes, then airlines or regulators will start writing rules and regulations about when the shades must be up or down. Then everyone will be miserable, but at least we'll be equally so and it'll be completely out of our control under penalty of disobeying orders from the crew. Does that sound like a better alternative, or shall we all Just Get Along(tm)?

Personally I DGAF since I'm usually half asleep before pushback, so this is a purely academic problem for me
You chose a confrontational path even when most people have said that they will accommodate a polite request from an aisle occupant. The person making unreasonable demands to control what others may or may not do is the reason for stink. Not the window person who is quietly sitting, enjoying their view, and is willing to accommodate a polite request to give up some of their pleasure.
I don;t see there is any reason to be abusive with the phrase I put in bold.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:26 am
Suspended

^ I like when people do this. OTOH, I don't do it myself unless I'm alert and sober--which is just about never when having to get up from a window seat in the middle of a flight. Better ask than slip and fall on someone while they're asleep

In a hypothetical situation where "I control the aisle" is asserted, I'd definitely walk over the armrests, but I would certainly slip since I'd be LMAO

Shall we discuss this when you are sober?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by manneca
I hate, hate having the window shade down. Particularly on long flights. I want to have the sun shine on me so I can adjust to the new time. Yes, I argue with the FAs who think that every shade should be pulled so passengers will sleep for 14 hours and FAs don't have to work. If you want to sleep, bring an eye shade.

If I'm not in the window seat, then I get what the window seat person wants.
I agree. It is a known fact that daylight helps with jet lag.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I think shades are "NO", except sleeping times or when the sun shines right in your eyes, or glare is intense, when it's "NC".
NO= Normally open.
NC=Normally closed.
Most people sitting ina window seat will accommodate polite request made by the middle or the aisle seat occupant. Primary control of the shade rests with the window seat occupant.
The problem is defining "sleeping times." Twice on a flight from HKG to LAX with CX, "sleeping time" for me was immediately after wheels up. After that, it was "stay awake time" to help conquer jetlag. I left the window shade about 1/2 (or more) closed. The first time, the FA understood my reason for leaving the window shade open, with arrival about 9pm PT, so I would be tired upon arrival. But the second time, the FA really wanted the shade closed. I went through the same routine - light, jetlag, more light to read. She reluctantly gave in, until I used the restroom. When I returned the shade was fully closed (which I then proceeded to open a bit).

I am convinced that 95% or more of the people on both flights who slept after the meal until shortly before landing needed several days to conquer jetlag. I slept like a baby the first night and never experienced jetlag. Similar experience to/from SYD as well as to/from PNH (just a 4-night trip) with no noticeable jetlag. I work hard at avoiding jetlag, and part of that is controlling the natural daylight I am exposed to during the flight.

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
I actually had this problem with an FA on a MUC-ORD flight. I did agree to close it half-way which she did agree to that.
I think if FA's and others only realized why we window seat lovers like the window - looking out, taking photos, dealing with the light/jetlag issues - they would be more understanding.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti

I think if FA's and others only realized why we window seat lovers like the window - looking out, taking photos, dealing with the light/jetlag issues - they would be more understanding.
i read most of the time when en route. most of the artificial lighting on tatl flights varies from terrible to extremely bad. i want the shade open for natural light so i can read. a plane is not a democracy. i have never had a FA request i close my shade. i must really look the part of a mean old guy. we fly POSH, so the direct sun is on the other side of the plane
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
The biggest reason is so that your eyes are better adjusted to the outside light conditions in the event you have to evacuate on the ground.
I was told the biggest reason was so that if you do have to evacuate, you can immediately see flames or smoke or other haxzards (power lines etc) without having to go around lifting the shades - i.e. a visual check that it is safe to leave the aircraft in that direction.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
more

I failed to mentioned that the pax next to me with the rare eye disease was not wearing sunglasses. If my eyes were so sensitive that starlight at 10 p.m., on a cloudless night at 38k feet caused pain, I think I would be wearing dark glasses and/or eye shades.
The pax reached across me three times to slam the shade down. There were no empty seats to go to.
The FA said, "we do not get involved in passenger disputes".
The pax never "asked" me to lower my window shade. From the very beginning she "directed" me to lower my window shade.
A confrontational approach to requesting a favor is not likely to gain cooperation. Perhaps she never got that memo.
Oddly, when pax ask me to do a seat swap so they can sit together, I always agree. It is hard to be a happy camper when someone uses the bulldozer approach.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Orion
I failed to mentioned that the pax next to me with the rare eye disease was not wearing sunglasses. If my eyes were so sensitive that starlight at 10 p.m., on a cloudless night at 38k feet caused pain, I think I would be wearing dark glasses and/or eye shades.
The appropriate answer being, of course: "well, I have a rare nerve disease that causes me to spill ALL my drinks on the person to the left of me when I can't see out the window." On the other hand, there's a pretty good chance I would've spilled my drink anyway from laughing so hard at her utterly ludicrous claim.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
If you can't be bothered to be a decent human being for me and put your window shade down when the sun is in my eyes, then I simply can't be bothered to get up for you when you need to run to the potty. Afterall, why should my enjoyment of the flight be trumped for yours? Isn't that what the "this is my window and I'll do what I god damn well please" people say?

^
|

I wouldn't actually do this, I'm just pointing out the apparent idiocy behind that assertion, and the fact that payback can be a b.....

Like it or not, that's not "your" window - it's the airline's window and more pointedly, the cabin crew's window. You're not in your house or your car, you're in a shared communal space. If you know it's bothering someone, why keep it open? (Because you're entitled, right?)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
If you know it's bothering someone, why keep it open? (Because you're entitled, right?)
Perhaps because it bothers me to fly with a closed window shade, and anyone who is bothered by an open (or closed) window shade is perfectly capable of booking a window seat themselves. But I can see why it would be nice to have your cake and eat it too (i.e. enjoying the benefits of an aisle seat while demanding control over the window shade).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
If you can't be bothered to be a decent human being for me and put your window shade down when the sun is in my eyes, then I simply can't be bothered to get up for you when you need to run to the potty. Afterall, why should my enjoyment of the flight be trumped for yours? Isn't that what the "this is my window and I'll do what I god damn well please" people say?

^
|
i would not think the inner seat can block access to aisle for the window seat. and if you cannot be a decent human being and allow me enough light to read...........go put a bag over your head. also, due to my advanced age, i need an hourly pottie break. you block me, and your 12 hr trip is going to get very uncomfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.