Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger etiquette - Window Shade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, Marriott Gold, US SP, Avis PS
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
why does 9F's need for enjoyment of the flight trump 8F's need for enjoyment of the flight?
I think a better frame of reference is that 9F controls the window shade in 9F, and 8F controls the window shade in 8F.....
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by CrizzleColts
I think a better frame of reference is that 9F controls the window shade in 9F, and 8F controls the window shade in 8F.....
Yes, but that wasn't what my post was in response to.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by CrizzleColts
8F has two windows. 100% of one that starts behind the back of 7F and probably 80% of the one that actually ends when the back of the seat of 8F in reclining position ends. When 8F is in upright position a window of 8F is partially in 9F space. Hence I waited until we had Sun behind us so rays would cast forward not aft.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Thing of the past

Sadly, I think the real take away of this thread as well as this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-shut-off.html, is that passenger etiquette is a thing of the past. Air travel is mass transportation and for many even a regular commute to work. Once it became accepted that you could wear a shirt with cut-off sleeves and pajama bottoms when you arrive for your flight, pretty much all hope was lost.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by brobab
Once it became accepted that you could wear a shirt with cut-off sleeves and pajama bottoms when you arrive for your flight, pretty much all hope was lost.
I don't see what clothing has do with anything.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I fail to see it either. This person was definitely dressed up for travel (shirt/tie).
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by HNL
I'm a window seat passenger and I sit there because I want to look out the window. If you as a passenger can't deal with an open window then select teh window seat and close it, it you are not there then tough.
^

Two years ago, departing BKK at 7AM, the pax in the middle section aisle seat is having a conniption fit over my window being open. I can see he's agitated and finally he calls over the FA who then comes to speak with me. I simply told her 1) I choose the window for a reason and 2) this is a day, not overnight, flight. She acknowledged my points and that was that.

Later I got up to use the facilities and come back to a closed window. While smiling at aisle seat guy I open the window and his head almost exploded.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
The guy was a bully and obviously was used to getting his way by doing it...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by TopGun
The guy was a bully and obviously was used to getting his way by doing it...
I'm leaning toward control freak myself.

And not a smart one at that, since the sun's position in the sky is pretty well known - based on the direction of travel and time of day, it is actually possible to pick a seat on the shady side of the plane on most flights.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I hate, hate having the window shade down. Particularly on long flights. I want to have the sun shine on me so I can adjust to the new time. Yes, I argue with the FAs who think that every shade should be pulled so passengers will sleep for 14 hours and FAs don't have to work. If you want to sleep, bring an eye shade.

If I'm not in the window seat, then I get what the window seat person wants.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this topic is not specific to US Airways, I'm moving this thread over to TravelBuzz.

Thanks.

aztimm
moderator, US Airways
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Thereby making his point.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by workandski
Sorry. I don't get it. If someone wants the shade down so badly that it's upsetting them, what difference does it make why they want it down? How big a deal is it to pull the shade down just for the sake of letting someone else enjoy the flight? I don't think it has anything to do with who is right and who is wrong. People are often kind to me and I try to be kind to other people. It just makes life easier.
One of the main advantages of a window seat is that you can enjoy the view outside. The other is being able sit back and not be bothered by people wanting to get out of their seat. It's sad that grown people can't accept choices made by others regarding their seat and what comes with it. If sun is shining straight in the face, I can understand, although even that can me remedied by shading their eye(s), or when it's a long haul and people want to sleep.
I don't believe that someone can function normally in aircraft and airport with plenty of light but is bothered by starlight. It was simply bratish/brutish behaviour.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
And this marks the 5000th thread on FT about window shades and the control thereof. Where are the balloons and confetti?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:57 pm
Suspended

I would rather not have balloons or confetti. I have a condition that makes me extremely sensitive to paper and balloons. Just the mention of these two words triggers my reaction. You cannot use these words in my presence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.