Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Car Break In- Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Rental Car Break In- Benefits?

So, while using a rental car and stopping for lunch, the car was broken into. All luggage and work bags were stolen. We filed a police report.

Work has advised us that their insurance policy covers loss of work items, but not our personal items. They have suggested we try to gain compensation from our personal insurance policies for personal items that were lost.

The car was rented with a business Chase Business Bold Card (MasterCard World Elite). I have been unsuccessful at this point in trying to determine if the card provides any sort of benefit for this. I have called Chase and they told me the only benefit relates to damage of the car but not loss of contents. They tried to tell me there is not even a benefit if an airline loses your luggage (which I know is false).

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:45 pm

Homeowner's insurance?

If someone breaks into your own car, your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance covers your stolen personal property. This may be the case with rentals, too.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by storewanderer
The car was rented with a business Chase Business Bold Card (MasterCard World Elite). I have been unsuccessful at this point in trying to determine if the card provides any sort of benefit for this. I have called Chase and they told me the only benefit relates to damage of the car but not loss of contents. They tried to tell me there is not even a benefit if an airline loses your luggage (which I know is false).

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Don't call Chase asking them "is this covered?", but rather ask for a FULL list of benefits, including details on the insurance coverage. Then read the materials yourself and proceed from there.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:58 am

Don't know about Chase Mastercard, but I just called last week asking about Citi Signature Visa Card car rental coverage. They redirected me to a Visa Signature card benefits center (all Visa Signature cards has the same coverage), and they specifically told me that items stolen from rental car are NOT covered.

Items (belong to you) stolen from rental car or any car should be covered by your homeowners or renters insurance.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Let's go beyond the list of benefits. Read the actual terms & conditions. The long and boring document linked from the website. Print it out and go through it line by line and flag the sections having to do with benefits. Never rely on anything a CSR tells you.

That said, most often, theft of personal items is most often covered by your personal homeowners coverage. Whether it's worth filing a claim will be based on your deductible and whether the increase in premium is worth the claim.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe the Chase business card provides primary protection for the car if it's being used on a rental for business, and secondary coverage for the car if it's used on a mainly personal rental. I don't think they provide any coverage for the contents, just the damage to the car.

Your personal insurance (homeowners, rental, etc) may cover some of those losses.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

get full coverage homeowners. when we had a car breakin in france, they took the wife;s purse. we could show we had just been to bank to get money, and they even reimbursed the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.